Terrible covers

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    Helloween's cover of The Hellion/Electric Eye was really good. Even though it was sung by Andi Deris….they still did a great job on that one.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    Speaking of Dio, there is that TERRIBLE Holy Diver cover by Killswitch Engage
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    There is the much worse cover of We Rock by German shit metal band Grave Digger, which is on the tribute CD Stitsel mentioned.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsq7gqNG-yk
    Don't say I didn't warn you...

Most of the other bands on that album do a pretty decent job, but Grave Digger should be shot on sight for that one. And for the endless string of worthless shit albums they've released over the years.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    The version I have Sancho, actually doesn't have Grave Digger.....(I had to run downstairs & snag the CD) so I guess I haven't heard their version....anyhow.....

Steel Prophet
    Hammerfall
    Destiny's End
    Fates Warning
    Gamma Ray
    Doro
    Jag Panzer
    Blind Guardian
    Axel Rudi Pell
    Solitude Aeturnus
    Angel Dust
    Catch The Rainbow

all deliver stellar reworkings of the classics,
    but

Primal Fear
    Enola Gay

didn't so much deliver for me, but it's just my opinion.....

I don't know why I bought it; it was easily a decade before Ronnie passed ( :arg:) but I was still intrigued.

And it's still a kick ass covers album if I ever heard one.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=15834.msg240587#msg240587 date=1385280595]
    There is the much worse cover of We Rock by German shit metal band Grave Digger, which is on the tribute CD Stitsel mentioned.

Most of the other bands on that album do a pretty decent job, but Grave Digger should be shot on sight for that one. And for the endless string of worthless shit albums they've released over the years.
    [/quote]

Dude, we share the hate. The singer tried to both sell me the new GD cd and hint at a duet with Mark (DENIED). I can't stand that guy's voice, that stupid music...sorry, I had a weird morning.

Out of all of Malmsteen's covers on Inspiration, I loved the vocal performances, the rhythm section was nice and tight, some of the arrangements were extremely well done...it was all great except the guitar solos. I realize Yngwie was just being Yngwie, Odin love 'im. But he was the same Yngwie on every frigging solo...I'm still not sure whether that album really did just feature one protracted solo, cut up in movements. If so, I change my vote from bored to admiring.

I realize I might be unwillingly stirring up junk, forgive me if so. It's just my opinion. Lots of people really love that album, and God bless 'em :up:
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=15834.msg240652#msg240652 date=1385399100]
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=15834.msg240587#msg240587 date=1385280595]

[/quote]

Dude, we share the hate. The singer tried to both sell me the new GD cd and hint at a duet with Mark (DENIED). I can't stand that guy's voice, that stupid music...sorry, I had a weird morning.

Out of all of Malmsteen's covers on Inspiration, I loved the vocal performances, the rhythm section was nice and tight, some of the arrangements were extremely well done...it was all great except the guitar solos. I realize Yngwie was just being Yngwie, Odin love 'im. But he was the same Yngwie on every frigging solo...I'm still not sure whether that album really did just feature one protracted solo, cut up in movements. If so, I change my vote from bored to admiring.

I realize I might be unwillingly stirring up junk, forgive me if so. It's just my opinion. Lots of people really love that album, and God bless 'em :up:
    [/quote]

Your not stirring up anything Andy…..that is a valid opinion. I feel that way on some of the songs on 'Inspiration' but for the most part I thought that was one of the best cover albums ever done. Great song selection…..great vocal performances by all….even Boals isn't bad….although I would have preferred more Jeff Scott Soto and JLT. The main song I agree with you on is the version of "Child In Time". I thought Yngwie missed the mark on that one and did not capture the mood of the original song. Way too much soloing on that song to. Other than that I loved his versions of "Anthem", "Gates Of Babylon", "Sails Of Charon", "Mistreated", "Demon's Eye", etc. When that album came out it was the first new Yngwie I bought since 'Eclipse' and it got me interested in Malmsteen again……although I got frustrated with him when I bought 'War To End All Wars'…..
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=15834.msg240652#msg240652 date=1385399100]
    [/quote]
    Try being in a band with a bass player who loves them because they sing about Scotsmen and crusades... :doh:
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=15834.msg240654#msg240654 date=1385400418]
    although I got frustrated with him when I bought 'War To End All Wars'…..
    [/quote]
    Yngwie needs to stop being such a miserly pennypincher and get WtEAW remixed by a pro. There's killer playing and some great songs on that album.
    All buried in the worst mix in recorded history.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    +1 Stitsel. That's a great Dio covers record. Love Neon Knights, Don't Talk to Strangers on that record.

Metallica manages to make atrocious songs great. And they manage to make atrocious songs (sorry, that's a new thread)

The originals of Am I Evil, Blitzkreig, and everything off the $5.98 EP are total turds. Their covers are pretty damn good.

I never knew VH's Where Have All the Good Times Gone was a cover. It sounds like they wrote it. After hearing their versions of their famous cover songs, I can't listen to the originals.

Maiden also makes bizarre songs sound good. King of Twilight, Rainbow's Gold, Cross Eyed Mary.

Agree on the GNR Knockin on Heaven's Door. Can't stand the original either.

I heard an Ozzy cover record a few years ago with Lynch and others that was pretty awful.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    In addition to the ones already mentioned

Terrible covers:

Aerosmith's cover of the Beatles Come Together
    Slade's cover of Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild
    Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's Turn The Page

Great covers:

Nazareth's cover of Joni Mitchell's This Flight Tonight
    Triumph's cover of Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way
    Frank Marino's cover of Johnny B. Goode
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

[quote author=Venomboy link=topic=15834.msg240668#msg240668 date=1385423294]
    +1 Stitsel. That's a great Dio covers record. Love Neon Knights, Don't Talk to Strangers on that record.

Metallica manages to make atrocious songs great. And they manage to make atrocious songs (sorry, that's a new thread)

The originals of Am I Evil, Blitzkreig, and everything off the $5.98 EP are total turds. Their covers are pretty damn good.

I never knew VH's Where Have All the Good Times Gone was a cover. It sounds like they wrote it. After hearing their versions of their famous cover songs, I can't listen to the originals.

[/quote]

I agree that Metallica for the most part does great covers. I only disagree with the original Diamond Head version of "Am I Evil?" being a bad song. I love the original. Diamond Head was a cool band.

I agree with you on the VH covers to. Even though the originals are classics…..after listening to the VH versions….the originals are underwhelming. They gave the originals so much new life while still keeping the vibe.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    I can live with Diamond Head's Am I Evil but can't listen to much of their other songs.

I heard the original Blitzkrieg the other day. Metallica changed the dynamics of the song, which helps it a lot.
    I really like that first Blitzkrieg album. It's considered a NWOBHM classic round these parts :036:
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    I wonder if you guys think this is great or terrible? ;)

Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=15834.msg240772#msg240772 date=1385630075]
    I wonder if you guys think this is great or terrible? ;)

[/quote]

First off it's Bevar Sea, so terrible isn't a realistic option. You know, this is a super fun video all around, musically and visually, but my favorite part might be that the recording itself sounds unmistakably underground. It really amps the "dude, this is sooo cool" factor off the chart.