Terrible covers

SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
I'm pretty sure that the worst cover of all time is Gene Simmons' pitiful attempt at Firestarter.
(Don't worry, I wouldn't subject friends to that one...)
However, I heard this for the first time today and was just dumbfounded!  :eyetwitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2I6PL3O0PY

It just amazes and depresses me that someone somewhere thought this was a good idea...

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    Quite terrible indeed.

Other covers I don't get: 
    Deep Purple - Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)
    Jeff Healey - Like A Hurricane (Neil Young)
    BOC - Kick Out The Jams (MC5)
    HIM - Wicked Game (Chris Isak)  Don' t fear the Reaper (BOC)
    Yngwie - Gimme Gimme Gimme (Abba) 
    Van Halen - You Really Got Me (Kinks), Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison), Where have all the good times gone (Kinks)

What I consider great covers:

Therion - Summernight City (Abba) 
    Priest - Green Manalishi (Fleetwood Mac), Diamonds And Rust (Joan Baez)
    Cradle - Temptation (Heaven 17), Devil Woman (Cliff Richard), No Time To Cry (Sisters Of Mercy)
    Temptation:
    Devil Woman:
    BOC - Maserati GT (Jimmy Reed)
    Espers - Flaming Telepaths (BOC)
    MM - Tainted Love (Erasure)

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Priest - Johnny B Goode
  • Keel - 'Let's Spend The Night Together'
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=15834.msg240462#msg240462 date=1385051098]
    Quite terrible indeed.

Van Halen - You Really Got Me (Kinks), Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison), Where have all the good times gone (Kinks)

[/quote]

Your in the minority on that one. Those Van Halen covers gave those songs new life and were a great example of a band making those songs their own. "Pretty Woman" was not among my favorite song choices for VH to do but they did a great job with it. "You Really Got Me" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" are done so well that you almost view those as VH songs. I thought their version of "Dancin In the Street" was stellar….the arrangement was killer.

I always thought Guns N Roses version of "Live And Let Die" was mediocre at best…..I never cared for it anyway. I always hated their version of "Knockin On Heaven's Door" as well…..GNR did do some good covers on 'The Spaghetti Incident' however

It always annoys me to hear Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder cover Beatles songs

Some of my favorite covers:

Iron Maiden- Cross Eyed Mary, I've Got The Fire, Massacre, Rainbow's Gold
    Soundgarden-Girl U Want by Devo. I actually thought Soundgarden's version was better than the original….which is saying a lot. Devo was a cool band.
    Nevermore-Love Bites by Judas Priest
    John Norum-All his Lizzy covers
    Judas Priest-Diamonds and Rust, Green Manaleshi, Better By You Better Than Me
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=15834.msg240472#msg240472 date=1385059397]
    Quite terrible indeed.

[/quote]

Your in the minority on that one. Those Van Halen covers gave those songs new like and were a great example of a band making those songs their own. "Pretty Woman" was not among my favorite song choices for VH to do but they did a great job with it. "You Really Got Me" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" are done so well that you almost view those as VH songs. I thought their version of "Dancin In the Street" was stellar….the arrangement was killer.

I always thought Guns N Roses version of "Live And Let Die" was mediocre at best…..I never cared for it anyway. I always hated their version of "Knockin On Heaven's Door" as well…..GNR did do some good covers on 'The Spaghetti Incident' however

It always annoys me to hear Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder cover Beatles songs

Some of my favorite covers:

Iron Maiden- Cross Eyed Mary, I've Got The Fire, Massacre, Rainbow's Gold
    Soundgarden-Girl U Want by Devo. I actually thought Soundgarden's version was better than the original….which is saying a lot. Devo was a cool band.
    Nevermore-Love Bites by Judas Priest
    John Norum-All his Lizzy covers
    Judas Priest-Diamonds and Rust, Green Manaleshi, Better By You Better Than Me
    [/quote]

I love VH's version of Where Have All The Good Times Gone - Ed plays cool shit all over that track!
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,777
    Off the top of my head, some I don't like:

Judas Priest - Johnny B Goode  (this one is terrible)
    Nevermore - The Sound of Silence
    Slayer - Dissident Aggressor
    Testament - Animal Magnetism

Now, some other ones I love:

Death - Painkiller
    Arch Enemy - Kill with power
    Nazareth - The ballad of Hollis Brown
    Megadeth - Cold sweat
    Testament - Powerslave, Dragon Attack
    and the usual suspects: Judas Priest - Green Manalishi and Diamonds & Rust, Hendrix - All along the watchtower, VH - You really got me.

In the WTF? category, you have this:

• yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    [quote author=Seven Moons link=topic=15834.msg240481#msg240481 date=1385071349]
    In the WTF? category, you have this:

[/quote]
    Check out the "Dog of Baskerville" at 0"58...
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    Good covers.

Although I like the original version by the Guess Who much better ... I do like Lenny Kravitz take on "American Woman".

2nd possibility .. ?  :hmm:

maybe Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower"? That was pretty good.  :rolleyes:
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,677
    I love covers.  Some of my favorites off the top of my head:
    Cinderella - Move Over by Janis Joplin
    Chicago - I'm a Man by Spencer Davis
    Black Sabbath - Warning by Ansley Dunbar
    Judas Priest - Better by You by Spooky Tooth
    Govt Mule, Faith No More and Tesla - War Pigs
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    Mama Weer All Crazee Now

I most definitely prefer Slade's original to Quiet Riot's cover:

Slade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0_BAdRwHEU

Quiet Riot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMgqiqqzj_U

Shit, even the Runaways in their final days did it better than Quiet Riot, IMO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RTipAZuMRI

Not sure what to make of Mama's Boys' version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmW_gcD2i-A
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=15834.msg240472#msg240472 date=1385059397]
    Quite terrible indeed.

[/quote]

Your in the minority on that one.
    [/quote]

Oh, I was well aware of that fact when I wrote it.

And I'm sure I'm also in the minority when I feel that Ray and Dave of the kinks are far better writers than any Van Halen combination.
    And I've certainly loved and listened to VH as much as any one.

I hate the Quite Riot version of Slades  "we' re all crazee now", they just don' t get it. Same with the Kinks covers VH did. They just don' t get the songs.

Just my opinion.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    [quote author=cvansickle link=topic=15834.msg240495#msg240495 date=1385090977]
    Mama Weer All Crazee Now

I most definitely prefer Slade's original to Quiet Riot's cover:

Slade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0_BAdRwHEU

Quiet Riot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMgqiqqzj_U

Shit, even the Runaways in their final days did it better than Quiet Riot, IMO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RTipAZuMRI

Not sure what to make of Mama's Boys' version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmW_gcD2i-A
    [/quote]Talking of bad Slade covers, Oasis slaughtered Cum on Feel The Noize a few years back
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    Quite terrible indeed....

Van Halen - You Really Got Me (Kinks), Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison), Where have all the good times gone (Kinks)[/quote]

DEFINITELY in the minority, especially with You Really Got Me and Where Have All The Good Times Gone... Those are considered standard VH tunes, I put those up there with Hendrix's versions of Dylan songs... You probably hate those too though lol.

Covers I generally hate...

Johnny Be Good - Priest
    Live And Let Die - GnR... Heard a few live versions I like, but the recorded Use Your Illusion version is meh
    Knockin On Heaven's Door - GNR... Only version I like is the live Ritz version
    No More Mr. Niceguy - Megadeth
    This list could really go on... How bout Kiss My Ass and Nativity In Black, the cover albums of Kiss and Sabbath songs?

I find that a lot of covers sound better when you don't know they're covers or heard before you heard the original... I feel that way about GnR's cover of Rose Tattoo Nice Boys.

Favorite covers, in no particular order...

Green Manalishi - Priest
    Diamonds and Rust - Priest
    Simple Man - Shinedown
    Can't Find My Way Home - House of Lords
    All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix
    Little Wing - Skid Row
    Whisky In The Jar - Thin Lizzy
    Attitude - GnR
    Van Halen - You Really Got Me
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=Gunner4Life link=topic=15834.msg240558#msg240558 date=1385226184]
    Favorite covers, in no particular order...

Can't Find My Way Home - House of Lords
    [/quote]
    Great call!

Let me add Badlands' excellent version of Fire And Rain.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,051
    Too many to list, but the Dio covers album from about a decade back is actually pretty awesome, Holy Dio I think it's called, covers of Rainbow,Sabbath & Dio tunes by lots of Euro & American power metal bands, pretty damn good actually.