That 70s Synth Sound

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
Okay, I have to come completely clean here. I was listening to Return to Forever yesterday and loving them when Chick Corea flipped on THAT synth patch, the one that I have always despised. A similar sound both opens and predominates Rainbow Rising, and shows up in classic ELP and Yes (the latter two groups I couldn't care less about anyway, but there it is). I believe there's some of it in Rush, too...even on the songs I do like by them :puking:.

Okay, this is IT! I have to finally come out. I HATE that sound, it sounds too dweebed out and fey, just very stupid to my ears. I went all these years dealing with it/trying to get past it (hey, Corea and Carey are both undeniably great), but I hate that sound so bad.

Whew! I feel better. As much as I adore the 70s (my favorite era of Rock/Metal music), if I never heard that synth sound again, I'd be a very happy man. Just me, no offense to fans of that sound...in fact, are there really people that actually, really like that sound? :036:

I await lambasting.

Comments

• I take it you won't be listening to Mort Garson's Black Mass Lucifer anytime soon ;)
  • I'll be right back, just gathering a mob to throw stones at you, Andy.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Which sound? Is it just classic Moog?
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • This intro synth sound I'm guessing?

I lovveee it.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Or is it the intro of Tarot Woman?  I like it...    Compared to the vast majority of 80s synth sounds, it's pure aural bliss to me....  :chuckle:
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    [quote author=Seven Moons link=topic=15656.msg238071#msg238071 date=1379683387]
    Or is it the intro of Tarot Woman?  I like it...    Compared to the vast majority of 80s synth sounds, it's pure aural bliss to me....  :chuckle:

[/quote]

I really, really hate it. You can hear similar stuff on Sabbath's worse songs, like Who are You and Am I Going Insane.

I personally thought the synth patches really dragged down Rising, almost sinking Light in the Black for instance (a song I otherwise love beyond measure).

I have to mention, I love the Who's classic synth sound.
  • I think of that sound as being pretty comic for sure.  Not sure what device it actually is (I'm guessing MOOG) but I call it the "Lucky Man" tone...(also could be called "Spinal Tap keyboards" in my vernacular)

It's a cool sound but it got done to death in rock music and became very cliche very quickly.  I have a broken guitar synthesizer from around 1980 or so, it will produce that sound from a guitar signal...but, being broken, tracks bizzarly.  Any note performed will be translated into a random pitch, glitching around crazily enough to be completely awesome and totally useless at the same time.  And, oddly enough, the results always sound a lot like "Lucky Man"  :roll:

I read somewhere that he Who 'synth sound' was really an electric organ w/tremolo which triggered a synth? or vice versa?  :icon_question:

• Although Pete acquired many early synths along the way, the Who's Next suff -- according to Wikipedia -- was:

Townshend is playing block chords spread between the two keyboards of the 1968 Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ. The output of the organ is fed into the audio input of the EMS VCS 3 mk1 synth. The first bit of processing to be applied to the organ sound is a low-frequency oscillator (LFO) controlling the frequency of a voltage-controlled filter (VCF), using a sine or triangle wave shape. In other words, the synth is turning the tone of the organ from mellow to bright, up and down automatically.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=15656.msg238068#msg238068 date=1379682757]
    I'll be right back, just gathering a mob to throw stones at you, Andy.
    [/quote]

Count me in, I'll bring villagers with torches and pitchforks.
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=15656.msg238078#msg238078 date=1379686611]
    [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=15656.msg238068#msg238068 date=1379682757]
    I'll be right back, just gathering a mob to throw stones at you, Andy.
    [/quote]

Count me in, I'll bring villagers with torches and pitchforks.
    [/quote]

It took me decades to be completely honest with myself, Jasmine helped by pointing out a face I always made when listening to Return to Forever, Tarot Woman, etc. I loved the music so much as a whole that I forgave what was for me a constantly irritating sound. I just got tired of looking past things, as Nietzsche would say it was "intellectually unhygienic".
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    We' ll probably end up forgiving you, or letting the villagers torch your home, which is the easiest.
    I don't think it' that easy to get some 17th century middleeuropean villagers into the US, so.

But I just love the intro to tarot woman.

I also love the keyboards on this. Guess I just like Moogs.

I have a good friend which is an amazing keyboard player, he has an ancient monophonic moog from the late 70s.
    Like this:

I love when he solos on it.

I wonder, can you stomach Purples "A 200" ?

[quote author=Agrippa link=topic=15656.msg238080#msg238080 date=1379691890]
    We' ll probably end up forgiving you, or letting the villagers torch your home, which is the easiest.
    I don't think it' that easy to get some 17th century middleeuropean villagers into the US, so.

But I just love the intro to tarot woman.

I also love the keyboards on this. Guess I just like Moogs.

I have a good friend which is an amazing keyboard player, he has an ancient monophonic moog from the late 70s.
    Like this:

I love when he solos on it.

I wonder, can you stomach Purples "A 200" ?

[/quote]

The Moog clip was fun.

I never really thought much of A200 beyond the brilliant (and SO "him") Blackmore solo. In fact, whenever I spin Burn straight through I stop after Mistreated (to me, that song was such that it would have been the perfect closer).

If I remember correctly the Mark III keyboards were the only Lord patch I didn't like much. Now if you're talking the classic early to mid 70s organ patches, those are an entirely different story.... :notworthy:
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=15656.msg238079#msg238079 date=1379688055]

Jasmine helped by pointing out a face I always made when listening to Return to Forever, Tarot Woman, etc. I loved the music so much as a whole that I forgave what was for me a constantly irritating sound.
    [/quote]

I feel the same about John Lords sound & a friend of mines is the same. I recall a time when I was playing him one of the songs from Purpendicular as he hadn't heard any up to date (at the time) Deep Purple. Half the track was listened to without a word spoken until the keyboard break when he suddenly blurted out "that, that,  THATS why a fukkin hate Deep Purple" & I totally got where he was coming from although I don't hate Deep Purple & neither does he but it was one of those moments where I felt vindicated in my thinking because everybody else who likes Deep Purple appears to like John Lords sound.
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=15656.msg238077#msg238077 date=1379686118]
    Although Pete acquired many early synths along the way, the Who's Next suff -- according to Wikipedia -- was:

Townshend is playing block chords spread between the two keyboards of the 1968 Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ. The output of the organ is fed into the audio input of the EMS VCS 3 mk1 synth. The first bit of processing to be applied to the organ sound is a low-frequency oscillator (LFO) controlling the frequency of a voltage-controlled filter (VCF), using a sine or triangle wave shape. In other words, the synth is turning the tone of the organ from mellow to bright, up and down automatically.
    [/quote]

I think his use of those keyboards was absolutely brilliant, it shoved the Who way in front with a new, exciting sound. They were like the cherry on top of already supernaturally fantastic songs :up:.
  • [quote author=Haffner link=topic=15656.msg238072#msg238072 date=1379684083]
    I really, really hate it. You can hear similar stuff on Sabbath's worse songs, like Who are You and Am I Going Insane.
    [/quote]

Ah, I see. I agree that it didn't work well for Sabbath. Still, I like it much better than the 80s gallery of horrors: The Final Countdown, Rainbow in the Dark, Jump, the Ozzy albums...   Now THOSE are putrid synth sounds IMO.