Comments

• [quote author=Haffner link=topic=15601.msg237334#msg237334 date=1378207922]
    http://www.shredaholic.com/here-is-why-you-find-it-difficult-to-insert-feeling-into-your-guitar-playing.html
    [/quote]
    Why feeling=drama?

Why not humour?

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    [quote author=eduardoritos link=topic=15601.msg237341#msg237341 date=1378210266]
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=15601.msg237334#msg237334 date=1378207922]
    http://www.shredaholic.com/here-is-why-you-find-it-difficult-to-insert-feeling-into-your-guitar-playing.html
    [/quote]
    Why feeling=drama?

Why not humour?

[/quote]

+1
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,115
    I don't like Tom Hess at all.
    He creeps me out and makes me feel like he's talking down to me in all of his articles.
    Is he German? Because his look and attitude scream Nazi to me.
    [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=15601.msg237349#msg237349 date=1378215053]
    I don't like Tom Hess at all.
    He creeps me out and makes me feel like he's talking down to me in all of his articles.
    Is he German? Because his look and attitude scream Nazi to me.
    [/quote]

I'm half German and half Italian, so I wouldn't know. He is a rather severe looking person.

I don't feel like he's talking down to me, I mostly feel as though he's not really offering up anything that mature players don't already know.

I mostly posted this just to see if others had any input regarding the subject.
  • I'm not sure you can teach someone to play with emotion.  IMO, that skill requires a mind-shift in a player's head, that each player has to make for themselves, or not. It means putting everything you know intellectually about how to play on the back burner, and tapping into something not intellectual.  It's time to stop admiring your toolbox, and build a birdhouse. Or a skyscraper. Or whatever.  It's about doing something meaningful with whatever tools you've acquired.  Whether you're BB King or Steve Vai.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Hess is a really good guitar player and IIRC he was most recently playing with Rhapsody of Fire and before that HolyHell.  I have enjoyed his guitar playing, but not 100% sure he captures himself what he is trying to teach on his recordings.  Can't watch the video at the moment, but will watch it later.  I do agree with Dave on this though.  It is not necesarily something that can be taught.  It requires a whole mindshift and/or such great mastery of the fretboard that you can play exactly what you hear all the time.  I have to say even Santana has stated he does not always get that heart to hands emotional playing.  When he does he has stated it is a great high.  While he strives for it every night and every time he plays, it can be very elusive even to the so-called masters.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    I also think he comes off as a douche :036: Like he think he is so much better than everyone else

Reminded me I need to un-subscribe to his mails.. they are really bugging me too :wall:

OTOH what is feeling?

Can't the feeling I want to convey with my guitar be: "Holy shit, that guy is playing superfast! That is awesome.". Then you're listener have felt a feeling that it seems that most people in the guitar community don't view as a feeling.. I don't know. I think everything you play convey a feeling, 'cause your listener react to it in some way - if they are into the music that is.
    Just my take on it - maybe would be an interesting thread? :hmm:
  • I think it is the difference in say:

"I'm feeling . . .  like playing 32nd note pentatonic run here, followed by a sweep arpeggio in aeolian."

and

"over this passage, I hear this melody or idea in my head, and I'm going to play it with as much conviction as I can"

it is the difference between driving the music, and letting the music drive you.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,115
    The thing about Hess is that the stuff he gives away for free is just bait to get you to subscribe to his service.
    Now that said there is a ton of great info that he does give away for free.
    Some of my students have downloaded scale and arp exercises from his sites that were really cool and well thought out.
    He just creeps me out.
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=15601.msg237353#msg237353 date=1378216975]
    I'm not sure you can teach someone to play with emotion.  IMO, that skill requires a mind-shift in a player's head, that each player has to make for themselves, or not. It means putting everything you know intellectually about how to play on the back burner, and tapping into something not intellectual.  It's time to stop admiring your toolbox, and build a birdhouse. Or a skyscraper. Or whatever.  It's about doing something meaningful with whatever tools you've acquired.  Whether you're BB King or Steve Vai.
    [/quote]

Wow, another +1. I can't add to that, very cool Dave.

[quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=15601.msg237367#msg237367 date=1378225425]

He just creeps me out.

[/quote]

Dude, I'm with you.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I think he is attempting to be a " conservatory " master kinda teacher .

I watched the vid . Interesting .  Kinda like being a sex instructor . I don't think its something you can really teach to most people . You have it or you don't . To me its a measure of your love and devotion to music and guitar playing .

When I listen to certin musicians I can immediately pick up on the depth of their love for what ever instrument they play .
  • Playing the "3rd" is also know as playin the "love" tone. Slash employs that technique often. Anyway, to a beginner, that is a good lesson. Playing the 5th gives more of a country feel (I think).
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=15601.msg237383#msg237383 date=1378236326]
    Playing the "3rd" is also know as playin the "love" tone. Slash employs that technique often. Anyway, to a beginner, that is a good lesson. Playing the 5th gives more of a country feel (I think).
    [/quote]
    I think if he would play the same notes but really short instead of long and without vibrato there would not be any feeling at all. The only feeling I get from this lesson is "bullshit".
  • Look at your favorite solos and you tell me how many times that "bullshit" ends up being correct.
  • Oh my.

http://tomhess.net/HowToGetWomenWithYourGuitar.aspx

"how to make women beg for the next note of your guitar solo." 

I don't know, but one thing is sure: Yngwie's women never have to beg  :LOL: