Cold Chisel Appreciation

Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
I imagine any of the Australian dino's would agree that they are one of the greatest bands ever.

I happen to love this band, a permanent top 10 favourite for me no matter the tide. In Cold Chisel you had several song writers (with Don Walker being the most prolific) writing great songs about real issues with great lyrics. Awesome lead vocals courtesy of Jimmy Barnes (He is an absolute favourite of mine, but when it comes to pure, emotional and REAL singing ability, nothing tops his 70's - 80's singing with Chisel) and Ian Moss when he took the microphone. Oh and Ian Moss is a wonderfully expressive guitar player, he has a lot of ability, he can run the gamut to simple emotional playing to high octane speedy delivery. I would say the bass and drums were more than adequate but given that they too can sing, and write great songs puts them right up to the levels of Don, Ian and Jimmy for my money. After all, the drummer (R.I.P) Steve Prestwich wrote When the War is Over and Forever Now, two undeniable Chisel classics says it all. 

One of my absolute favourite bands and I don't give a fuck who doesn't like them whether its God, Ted Mulry or Doug Parkinson . and I guarantee that is the last time you ever find those two names in the same sentence as God.

Comments

• Such a great band. They have quite the following over here in New Zealand too.

I really have to give props to Ian Moss. Guy is an monster player and sadly underrated outside of Aus and NZ. I've always thought his note choice and tone to be first rate. Jimmy Barnes also was phenomenal. Was never really that keen on his solo output, but he absolutely killed it in Cold Chisel.

Great thread. +1
  • Point us to some tunes, guys.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208

These tunes are all great and very easy to find on Youtube. I will link a few of them though

Bow River
    Breakfast At Sweethearts
    Cheap Wine
    Choir Girl
    Flame Trees
    Forever Now
    Four Walls
    Ita
    Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)
    Khe Sahn
    Merry Go Round
    My Baby
    Saturday Night
    Star Hotel
    When The War Is Over
    You Got Nothing I Want

Ita -

Nice guitar chord work, catchy verse and chorus

Saturday Night -

Awesome build up, listen to how the band comes up in intensity for Jimmy's vocal section (' I got the key to the city'). Awesome chord changes behind his vocals on that bit. Listen to how the lead guitar plays with the changes over those some chords near the end of the song and finally hits that satisfying note into the outro

When The War Is Over -

Guitar solo that fits perfectly and wonderful vocal performances from Ian and Jimmy. Great lyrics to this one too.
  • These guys sound more like a pop band than a rock band to me.  I know they are both, but they are a rock band playing commercial pop.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
    They dabbled in a lot of different styles, taking a few elements here and there. Have a listen to You got nothing i want for one of their harder hitting tunes.
  • Even that track is pure pop. It's just a bit more guitar driven.  I have nothing against pop, or this band at all, but in to my ears, they're a lot closer to Bryan Adams and Journey than they are to anything resembling Hard Rock. Nothing wrong with that.
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    The first I ever heard of Jimmy Barnes was when I came across the Living Loud material with Daisley, Airey, Kerslake and Morse.

He has that whisky soaked, AC/DC kind of voice....
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    I saw Cold Chisel supporting Slade at the Birmingham Odeon Xmas 1983, I didn't know any of the material but they rocked hard and put on a good show.