Karen Carpenter

Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Now I am pretty sure I had heard of her and her brother Richard before. What I am positive is that I had no interest before now. I just visited another forum where some isolated vocal clips of Karen singing was on Youtube. I thought the vocals were rather pretty damn good. Then I read about her on Wikipedia and found out she died very young from anorexia.

This is what I am getting at though, apparently she possessed gifted drumming ability. Does anyone know of any examples , or perhaps there are fans here that can recommend anything?

Comments

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    In my opinion Karen Carpenter had one of the most glorious voices ever recorded. Nothing about her material would interest most folks around here. Too sweet. Too pop.

My personal favorites are ....

Superstar, (her brother Richard's arrangement is superb and brings out the best of her voice).

Rainy Days and Mondays, (captures the lower range of her voice beautifully).

For All We Know

(They Long To Be) Close To You

• The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 601

The Carpenters were a large part of my formative musical years.  They just had classic pop hits one after the other.  Karen had a unique and warm voice and every song made you want to sing along even if it was not your type of music.

As a drummer, well there are lots of YT videos.  This one is a collection throughout the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47v7yYRfjA
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    [quote author=The Seeker link=topic=15522.msg236061#msg236061 date=1376033489]

The Carpenters were a large part of my formative musical years.  They just had classic pop hits one after the other.   Karen had a unique and warm voice and every song made you want to sing along even if it was not your type of music.

As a drummer, well there are lots of YT videos.   This one is a collection throughout the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47v7yYRfjA

[/quote]Same here, brilliant pop songwriters! and not totally without interest to guitar fans either! check out Goodbye to Love which has some glorious fuzz tone soloing over its beautiful melodic twists and turns
  • She was a brilliant singer. Amy says her pitch was astonishing. I don't know how brilliant her drumming was.  Also, many of their hits were written by other people.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    The Carpenters were an act that my older sister AND my parents liked. I always thought Karen's voice was pretty soothing. I liked their cover of "Please Mr. Postman" more than any other version - and some pretty big groups have covered that song!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=15522.msg236066#msg236066 date=1376045950]
    Also, many of their hits were written by other people.
    [/quote]I knew some of them were but I didn't realise it was quite so many...still my 3 favorties weren't covers; Goodbye to Love, Top of the World and Yesterday Once More. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    I just watched that drumming video montage. I knew she played drums, but I didn't realize she was that good. The whole band was really good for that matter. A lot of jazz fused with pop and rock. They seemed like a really good live band.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,677
    I know readers polls are not always looked upon favorably but in the late 60s and early 70s Karen regularly was voted a better drummer than all of the British giants of the day in Melody Maker and other periodicals
  • Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
    I checked out the drum montage too. Pretty damn good! She would have been an astounding metal drummer!

[quote author=Jay G link=topic=15522.msg236100#msg236100 date=1376067744]
    I know readers polls are not always looked upon favorably but in the late 60s and early 70s Karen regularly was voted a better drummer than all of the British giants of the day in Melody Maker and other periodicals
    [/quote]

I read on Wikipedia (so take that for it is) that John Bonham was pissed off to her being voted above him and said something along the lines of she couldn't last ten minutes on a Zeppelin number.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    Consider the time period. Back then, suggesting a girl could be a guys equal, much less a better, was like drawing a line in the sand. Today equality is still not there between the sexes but it's moved 80% closer than it was in the early 70's, (and the early 70's were 92.5 % closer than during the 50's). There were ads in the 50's that told women to buy this or that product or your husband will spank you. The ads were not being satirical. They were real ..... the poor ladies worried ..... the products were purchased.

Karen would've had to be 25% to 50% better than a guy in the same poll to be ranked as an equal. The poll you mentioned x the time period it was taken in says a lot.

• BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    I had seen a couple of clips of her playing drums but it was her voice, she had the voice of an angel.
    Extremely sad that she passed so young and from anorexia.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    I didn't appreciate her at first - when I was first at Uni in a dorm, the guy next to me had 2 CD's:
    -Led Zeppelin II
    -Best of The Carpenters
    ...and whenever I hear "I'm on top of the world....." ringing out I get flashbacks and want to kill someone.

In fact, me and a friend got hold of a 300w power amp, hooked a CD player up to it, piled up a load of speakers outside his door, and blew it in with the heaviest thing we could find (Black Sabbath I think).

He came out waving a white flag and never did it again.

Now I understand why her voice is held in such high esteem.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    [quote author=Dr Nick link=topic=15522.msg236210#msg236210 date=1376242225]
    I didn't appreciate her at first - when I was first at Uni in a dorm, the guy next to me had 2 CD's:
    -Led Zeppelin II
    -Best of The Carpenters
    ...and whenever I hear "I'm on top of the world....." ringing out I get flashbacks and want to kill someone.

In fact, me and a friend got hold of a 300w power amp, hooked a CD player up to it, piled up a load of speakers outside his door, and blew it in with the heaviest thing we could find (Black Sabbath I think).

Now I understand why her voice is held in such high esteem.
    [/quote]

Classic!  :clap:  :roll:
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    [quote author=Dr Nick link=topic=15522.msg236210#msg236210 date=1376242225]

[/quote]

A buddy of mine and I did the same thing to a guy that moved into the empty apartment between us and immediately started complaining about the loud music. We each had 250w per channel systems and rock monitor speaker systems that could easily handle every watt. We got on the phone and dropped the needle on the same album on the same track at the same time, while set at full volume. The track? AC\DC's Let There Be Rock from the IYWBYGT live album. The guy moved out the next day.

When I was growing up, the Carpenters were held with the same contempt by hard rock fans as what Justin Beiber is today, or as we called it "music to slash your wrists by".
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    I believe it was Bill Graham's autobiography in which it was stated that Karen Carpenter was the only pop/rock drummer that Buddy Rich had any regard for whatsoever.