Greg Howe

2»

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=15485.msg236187#msg236187 date=1376220073]
    IMHO Greg Howe busted out of the " shredder " box . He is a funky ass mofo with a signature style . Not too many " fusion " guys approach that true funka- fied get down with the authority of Greg Howe . The elastic nature of his phrasing makes his playing unique .His vamps and grooves are nothing less than impressive and highly creative . As my friend Ed says Greg Howe is one of the best " crunchy fusion " guys out there . When he combines the funk and the " Rawk " the result is killer . Add the mindblowing technique to the mix and the result is :eek: :eek: :eek:
    [/quote]

With you on all of this. I'm also a huge fan of what sounds to me like a Strat-ish tone. I mean, it's woodsy and sounds only moderately gainy, yet he has all the sustain a predominately legato player could want.

I think Greg's Jazz-Funk-Shreddy-Rock Fusion is a fascinating mix, and he pulls it off with often exciting results. Great player, and my "discovering" his post-debut album and Howe II albums has really been an inspiring find for me.

I haven't previewed a single album by him from Introspection on that I didn't like.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    [quote author=Snoogans link=topic=15485.msg235739#msg235739 date=1375439534]
    Great player! He did a clinic nearby a couple of months ago, that I managed to miss. :doh:
    Also gives me an excuse to post this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRPhp4xjkuM

[/quote]I love this! had a rummage around and found an hours worth!
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    [quote author=Osky link=topic=15485.msg236313#msg236313 date=1376415683]
    [quote author=Snoogans link=topic=15485.msg235739#msg235739 date=1375439534]
    Great player! He did a clinic nearby a couple of months ago, that I managed to miss. :doh:
    Also gives me an excuse to post this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRPhp4xjkuM

[/quote]I love this! had a rummage around and found an hours worth!
    [/quote]

Dennis Chambers, what a MONSTER. Shoot, that goes for all of them :shock: