Greg Howe

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Greg is another player whom I dismissed early on as another Yngwie/VH-copying Shrapnel shredder, and my opinion of his first two albums hasn't changed.

However, I recently ran into a couple of his later albums, most particularly Introspection, and was delighted to hear more fusion and funk than wanna-be Paganini (though of course the technique is still on display). I came to the mentioned albums while looking up players that were influenced by Holdsworth, and I'm glad I gave him another chance.

This is the video that got me interested in checking Greg out again, not only does he comes across as a very pleasant person, he plays some really cool stuff at the end:

Interesting to me as well is the semi-Strat tone he's getting out of that guitar at times.

Wondering if anyone else here is into Greg.

Comments

• MarshallLawMarshallLaw Posts: 203
    I love 'em - very smooth player who can burn when he wants to.  The first Howe 2 album is my favorite for his rockin stuff, but the later jazzier stuff I also like.  IIRC he was using a Fender amp early on to get his sound which surprised me.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    [quote author=MarshallLaw link=topic=15485.msg235621#msg235621 date=1375267072]
    I love 'em - very smooth player who can burn when he wants to.  The first Howe 2 album is my favorite for his rockin stuff, but the later jazzier stuff I also like.  IIRC he was using a Fender amp early on to get his sound which surprised me.
    [/quote]

I greatly prefer his jazzier (obviously Holdsworth-inspired) music; to me he sounded way too Shrapnel-anonymous on the early stuff. A lot of my distaste for his early music has to do with that late 80s, super reverby compressed sound that I've always hated :wall:.

How good some of the actual old material was comes to the fore in that "Kick it All Over" remake that Greg that played in the video above. To me it came across a lot better with the lower gain and much more natural sound.

Overall he has a really crackling style that I like a lot.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    Love Greg..have all his cds. His new project(Maragold) is pretty good, but its very commercial...totally new direction.
    Love his jazzfusion stuff. Great player and a nice guy..
    [quote author=Donthegreek link=topic=15485.msg235648#msg235648 date=1375300203]
    Love Greg..have all his cds. His new project(Maragold) is pretty good, but its very commercial...totally new direction.
    Love his jazzfusion stuff. Great player and a nice guy..
    [/quote]

I have Introspection, but I'm wondering (hoping) he gets even more fusionesque on Hyperacuity? If so, that's my next purchase.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    The only thing I have by him is the first Howe 2 CD which I really like. Yeah its flashy and a bit OTT, but there are some great songs on there and I dig his brother's vocals. At times it reminds me of Hughes Thrall which has to be a good thing in my books. I'll have to check out his later stuff!
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,115
    Big fan.
    I love his first album and have been listening to it non stop lately.
    For me that first album was huge for me when it first came out because he was the first guy to combine the Shrapnel style chops in a bluesier style.
    I love both Howe II albums especially the second one, even though the production was atrocious.
    Greg's tapping is incredible on that first album.
    I like Introspection a lot and the album Tilt that he did with Richie Kotzen was great as well. But instrumental fusion is not my thing at all anymore.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    HAFFNER: I'd think you'd like Hyperacuity.
    You probably wont like the MARAGOLD cd because its so commercial and total opposite  of the jazzfusion stuff.
    Here's a few tracks from it: (Hyperacuity)

[quote author=Donthegreek link=topic=15485.msg235652#msg235652 date=1375314200]
    HAFFNER: I'd think you'd like Hyperacuity.
    You probably wont like the MARAGOLD cd because its so commercial and total opposite  of the jazzfusion stuff.
    Here's a few tracks from it: (Hyperacuity)

[/quote]

REALLY like Hyperacuity, it's in my Amazon cart. There's also a full on jazz collab he did...I can't think of the name of it offhand, but what I heard was very cool.

I LOVE Introspection, way better than any of the albums preceeding. He really went somewhere so much more interesting imo, and I love the quasi-Strat tone he gets. It's one of the few Super Strat sounds I really like. Plus, he backed off on the effects, it did him a world of good imo. Definitely a fan now, as some of you could have guess I love his Holdsworthian stuff best.

Maragold... :snoozin:
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Big Fan here .

I have a love/hate issue with his first album . Some coole tunes ( Bad Racket ) but the tone . :chainsaw: Arggg !

The stuff with his brother on vocals bothers me a little too .

All his fusion releases are stellar IMHO .  :clap: Introspection , Paralax and the stuff with Dennis Chambers and the Japanese Bass monster Tetsuo Shakari really smoke .  :shock: Sound Proof is his most recent solo album and he tries to show his  "diversity " but what I really dig is his Holdsworthian super tap pull offs outa nowhere Rock legatto thing plugged into his melodic sense .
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=15485.msg235727#msg235727 date=1375414991]
    Big Fan here .

I have a love/hate issue with his first album . Some coole tunes ( Bad Racket ) but the tone . :chainsaw: Arggg !

The stuff with his brother on vocals bothers me a little too .

All his fusion releases are stellar IMHO .  :clap: Introspection , Paralax and the stuff with Dennis Chambers and the Japanese Bass monster Tetsuo Shakari really smoke .  :shock: Sound Proof is his most recent solo album and he tries to show his  "diversity " but what I really dig is his Holdsworthian super tap pull offs outa nowhere Rock legatto thing plugged into his melodic sense .
    [/quote]

I agree on all this. I need to check out Parrallax and Sound Proof, I checked some clips out, amazing playing. Seems as though he's got his composition and arranging down as well, I really like his chord voicings (at times very Allan sounding to my ears).
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Great player! He did a clinic nearby a couple of months ago, that I managed to miss. :doh:
    Also gives me an excuse to post this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRPhp4xjkuM

[quote author=Snoogans link=topic=15485.msg235739#msg235739 date=1375439534]
    Great player! He did a clinic nearby a couple of months ago, that I managed to miss. :doh:
    Also gives me an excuse to post this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRPhp4xjkuM

[/quote]

+1 this is really cool! That bass player is INSANE.
  • CaparisonCaparison Posts: 247
    Retrospection is my favorite and will always be.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    Never really got into him though I know the name.

Big misstake apparently. Listening to some of his early stuff right now which I happen to actually like. I figured with Haff's remark about the reverb drenched production that it should be right up my alley :chuckle:
    Might need to get it - jazzfusion have never really been my thing. Tried many times to get into it but just don't :036:

What really kills me about all those late '80s Shrapnel is that they were about my age at the time and I ain't even close to being able to do that. I always ends up with the feeling of why didn't I put in those extra hours when I was 14 and had nothing to do but play my guitar all day :wall:

Well, I probably head over and try to cop some Van Halen now anyway.. Finally having transformed me and my girlfriend's former bed room into a full blown guitar room! Also sort of a dream come true to have one of those :up:
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I forgot about his collaborations with Ritchie Kotzen . Stellar indeed although I can't listen to an entire Cd start to finish . :naughty:

:offtopic:Those two guys grew up together in Pennsylvania . Another guy from Pa. is Paul Gilbert . The " Tri State Area " ( Pa. New Jersey and Delaware ) spawned a shitload of great guitar players ....Doug Aldrich , Vinnie Moore , Zakk Wylde , Al DiMeola ....there must be " something in the water " as they say . :offtopic:

IMHO Greg Howe busted out of the " shredder " box . He is a funky ass mofo with a signature style . Not too many " fusion " guys approach that true funka- fied get down with the authority of Greg Howe . The elastic nature of his phrasing makes his playing unique .His vamps and grooves are nothing less than impressive and highly creative . As my friend Ed says Greg Howe is one of the best " crunchy fusion " guys out there . When he combines the funk and the " Rawk " the result is killer . Add the mindblowing technique to the mix and the result is :eek: :eek: :eek: