Awesome Drummers and moments of...drumnation

Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Even though guitar is my main instrument and cannot play drums to save someone else's life, I get a real kick out of listening to a good drummer, sometimes I will listen to my favourite songs (which could be a guitar fest) and I will try to zone out everything but the drums just to catch whats going on with the groove.

I will start with two

Deen Castronovo
Band: Cacophony
Song: E.S.P

Specific moment: There are awesome fills everywhere but the massive roll at 2:26 - 2:34 with the arpeggio lines is cool.

Nick Menza 
Band: Megadeth
Song: The Conjuring Live 1990 (Drum Cam)

Specific moment: The riff that comes in at about 2:30, I like the drums accenting guitar powerchord hits, one hand is hitting the snare while the other was hitting different cymbals. May not be hard (wth do I know about playing drums anyway) but its a cool touch and I know Metallica and Megadeth constantly have drum parts that mirror guitar riffs.

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    Two of my favorite drum moments are very simple but powerful…both in intros:

1. Phil Rudd-Fills in the intro to "Walk All Over You". As a kid when I heard that I thought it was so
            badass. Hearing that gave me chills….I still feel that way about it. I always have to turn that part of
            the song up when I hear it.

2. Clive Burr-Intro to "The Prisoner". Pretty much everything he does on the opening part of the song until
            the fast riff verse riff comes in. It has a great feel and grove and at the same time gives the song much
            more impact and builds tension. Clive was a great drummer.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    First one that comes to mind : Dave Lombardo on Slayer's Mandatory Suicide. Why? I covered that song with the first band I was in and the drummer (who was damn good) could never get the drumbreak after the intro quite right.

Second one : Zeppelin's Rock n Roll. How much more balls can you expect from a drummer?
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,777
    Let's start with these two:

1. Phil Taylor's turbocharged intro on Motörhead's Overkill. I was floored when I heared it. Of course, it might not have the same impact on younger members who grew up in an era of extreme double bass drumming…  But Phil's performance still does it for me, much more than the mechanical sound of contemporary double kick.

2. Dave Holland's fills on Judas Priest's Desert Plains, on the Point of Entry album.

• yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    [quote author=Seven Moons link=topic=15462.msg235238#msg235238 date=1374747972]

1. Phil Taylor's turbocharged intro on Motörhead's Overkill. I was floored when I heared it. Of course, it might not have the same impact on younger members who grew up in an era of extreme double bass drumming…  But Phil's performance still does it for me, much more than the mechanical sound of contemporary double kick.

[/quote]
    Yeah this on the live album "No Sleep til Hammersmith".

2. Where Eagles Dare: it's the song I'm trying to play now (on drums !) and it's freaking hard even slowed down at 80% speed.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    In My Time of Dying
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • As far as drummers go, I am a GREAT fan of Big Mike Clemons. Gospel drummer and an absolute BEAST.

• Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=15462.msg235228#msg235228 date=1374735208]
    Two of my favorite drum moments are very simple but powerful…both in intros:

1. Phil Rudd-Fills in the intro to "Walk All Over You". As a kid when I heard that I thought it was so
            badass. Hearing that gave me chills….I still feel that way about it. I always have to turn that part of
            the song up when I hear it.

2. Clive Burr-Intro to "The Prisoner". Pretty much everything he does on the opening part of the song until
            the fast riff verse riff comes in. It has a great feel and grove and at the same time gives the song much
            more impact and builds tension. Clive was a great drummer.
    [/quote]

Good one with Clive Burr! Always thought he was the coolest drummer for Maiden, that song in particular is bad ass, I read that it pretty much came out of a jam session and you can hear that, it just sounds like a jam session.

[quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=15462.msg235250#msg235250 date=1374754550]
    In My Time of Dying
    [/quote]

Hell yeah! I love the surge of energy that comes with the pick up half way through the song, I was 14 and an impatient little dick-git and I never listened to more than 15 seconds of the song for a while, then one day I let it play through and I learnt. I hadn't had sex yet so I didn't know the golden rule of build up....and release.

As for the other tunes or drummers I haven't heard of (Big Mike Clemons) I will be checking them out soon.

and good call on Desert Plains, the drums really drive that song.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,777
    Good call on Clive Burr, fantastic drummer IMO.

Other favorite drum moments (two, to avoid long lists...):

- Denny Carmassi on Montrose's "I got the Fire".  KILLER groove.

- Cozy Powell on MSG's "But I want more".  Tremendous power that propels the song.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Roger Taylor's massive roll down the toms on Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls.

Neil Peart's OTT fills on Tom Sawyer

Dave Grohl with Queens of the Stone Age on this live version of Song For the Dead... the intro and outro are just insane!

Cozy Powell's intro to Stargazer on Rainbow Rising

Wil Calhoun with Living Colour - absolutely love his playing and drum sound on the whole of the 1st LP but in particular the intro to Desparate People is a great air-drumming moment for me!
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    Aquiles Priester is amazing!

I also love watching this - too many sick drummers in one place! Don't know HOW they made this decision!

• Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208

I just listened to Walk all over you, never heard it but I still don't own the actual Highway to Hell album and between this, girl got rhythm and the title track I can see I need to get this on vinyl and the drums are great. Phil Rudd is a total balls player and never seems to play anything other than what's perfect for the part.

Just heard Mandatory Suicide as well, some really cool fills, this is one of those songs I know is a big Slayer hit with the fans but for some unknown reason never listened it...too much music not enough time.

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    I also love watching this - too many sick drummers in one place! Don't know HOW they made this decision!
    It´s a very interesting bit of film on how to audition: play the songs as they were recorded, and save the jams for displaying your technique. That´s how Thomas Lang and Virgil Donati blew their auditions. Derek Roddy wasn´t too bothered, and poor Aquiles wasn´t prepared for what they threw at him.

Anyway, I´ll try and not just talk about rock - I LOVE the way Mick Fleetwood plays Go Your Own Way live on "The Dance" (particularly the build-up to the first verse). Not especially technical, but  he´s clearly having a blast. Does a good job on The Chain too.
    The drum fills on the intro to Money For Nothing are probably the best thing to come out of Dire Straits.
    Totally agree with Patrice, the intro to Where Eagles Dare is excellent - there´s something similar in the breakdown after the guitar solo in Separate Ways by Journey which I also love (Steve Smith is very underrated IMO).
    The drum intro into the instrumental break in My Immortal by Evanescence isn´t complex, but it´s such a huge emotional release after the rising tension throughout the song it makes me well up...
    Love the ending to Aqualung.
    Love the drums on I Will Remember by Toto, especially the transition from verse to chorus.
    I know it´s not the best Rush song, but it´s the first one I heard: the intro to Subdivisions still gets me.

But the BEST drums have to be this:

And waiting for someone to mention cowbell....
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    - Drum intro to Van Halen's "Everybody Want's Some". Love the jungle drum vibe.
    - Rush's La Villa Strangiato. A drumming tour de force.
    - Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. The call and response between Chuck Ruff on the drum kit and Edgar on the kettle drums.
    -
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Robb Reiner (Anvil) - Motormount