Allan Holdsworth Appreciation Thread

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    Holdworth is an awesome guitar player. But most of his music is beyond me.
    And I only own three Holdsworth albums.

Metal Fatigue

Johanson,Johanson and Holdsworth - Heavy Machinery (1997), Yes, that's the Johanson guys from Yngwies band.

and Gambale and Holdsworth - MVP, Truth In Shreding (1990)

Of those three I guess Heavy Machinery is my fave, though I love The Devil Take The Hindmost and the title track off Metal Fatigue.
    The MVP cd is just relentless shredding,of which I can only stomach in small doses.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    Heavy Machinery is pretty killer, the first time I ever heard Johanssen do anything interesting on drums. No disrespect to fans.

The MVP...to me, that album exemplifies everything wrong about Shrapnel/Mike Varney.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,773
    For me, he's one of those jazz guys with amazing technique and knowledge, but whose music can hardly hold my attention for half a minute.
  • [quote author=Haffner link=topic=15374.msg233944#msg233944 date=1372964702]

One thing I noticed, watching Allan's REH video, is how he really doesn't play strictly hammer-ons and pull-offs by any means (though he is the king of that technique and motivated guys like VH, Satriani, and Vai to master it).

He picks a lot more than one would think, especially if one was only familiar with