Vocal mics

Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,604
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Wasn't sure where to post this, to off-topic it is!

A mate picked up 4 Sennheiser e855's several years ago, and we use them a lot.
One's just died, and it's a discontinued line. The e835 and e845, which are still in production, don't sound anywhere near as good.

None of us are experts in that area, he just got lucky (worked in the store!).

What would people suggest we try out as alternatives?

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,746
    For live vocal stage mics, I just use Shure 58s.  You could try going to the Sweetwater site and do some research (even if you don't buy them there).
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Is it just for live use? Then yeah, just get 58 or 58beta. You can even use that to mic your cab if you want to record your guitar through a tube amp.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • RoadRacerXRoadRacerX Posts: 843
    [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=15280.msg232291#msg232291 date=1370782409]
    Is it just for live use? Then yeah, just get 58 or 58beta. You can even use that to mic your cab if you want to record your guitar through a tube amp.
    [/quote]

+1

Shure 58 has been the standard for a long time. The Beta I've no experience with, but they're more expensive, so they must be better, right?
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,643
    Both 58's sound excellent. To my ears the beta just expands the sweet spot of vocal frequencies on the lower end. A wider "flat" range. Altos and up won't note much difference if any at all. Tenor and Baritone voices retain more volume on the low notes when using the beta version. If I didn't have such a low voice I'd have just gone with the SM58. Industry standard and all that.