I Love You Paul, But You're Not THAT Cute Anymore

Comments

• JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,114
    One of my students got Stones tickets from his wife for Christmas.
    Floor seats $800 a pop! Now they have the money for this, the guys is ridiculously well off. So he was happy, until the Stones came on the stage!!
    Apparently Keith was having a rough night and they did not play very well. He was pretty pissed off and I don't blame him.
    He said that Jagger would introduce a song and then Keith would start playing the wrong song, and also that they trainwrecked in the middle of Tumbling Dice.

I don't go to shows anymore, not even Broadway.
    Which kills me because that is one of the best things about living in NY.
    I'm considering taking my wife to Book of Mormon this year for our anniversary but tickets are ridiculously expensive.
    I could buy my wife diamonds for the amount I would have to spend for descent seats (which now that I think of it may be what I do instead).

It's one of the reasons I think why smaller shows are doing so well lately.
    That Queensryche show we played was completely sold out in a large club, with people standing outside in the parking lot just to hear the music.
    I hadn't seen that since the 80's. That kind of makes me hopeful that local music venues and more small to mid sized acts will be doing better on the live circuit.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    I think our Rick might actually be cuter than Paul now.
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=15072.msg229684#msg229684 date=1365275639]
    Apparently Keith was having a rough night and they did not play very well. He was pretty pissed off and I don't blame him.
    He said that Jagger would introduce a song and then Keith would start playing the wrong song, and also that they trainwrecked in the middle of Tumbling Dice.

[/quote]

Man, that sucks for long time pros to blow it like that. I mean, everyone makes mistakes, but major blunders and full on trainwrecks like that are bad news. Bummer.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=15072.msg229665#msg229665 date=1365259482]
    There are some great points made here. I don't think this is the worst crime of the century, and as I said, I do understand that there are lots of factors that make a Paul McCartney show expensive. Everything from the amount of staff it takes to run the stage/lights, to the venue charges, to the amount of security needed all make a show like this one more expensive.

I do not however, think he deserves to charge more money because he's a senior citizen. Would I expect to pay him less because he's a senior citizen? No. It's not a one way street there for me. If he's not well enough or hearty enough to perform a two hour set at 10 o'clock then he should either stop doing it, or reformulate the time slot if that helps. He's Paul McCartney. If he tells his venues (and certainly his fans) that he wants to do all his shows at 2 o'clock in the afternoon or he isn't willing to do it all then I'm betting they would work it out.

Ringo is older than Paul, tours more than Paul, and charges less. No he doesn't have the demand that Paul has but as far as rigor on an old body? Pick on him all you like, but he is and always will be my third favorite Beatle and I think he's pretty cool.
    [/quote]

Ringo is also just Ringo! This is Paul Fucking McCartney, whether you like him or not is pretty much irrelevant, because the fact of the matter is that Paul was the most successful of the 4, even when all 4 were still alive. He can get what he gets because he is who he is. Don't wanna spend a grand on a Paul McCartney ticket, don't, you don't like him anyway.

As for the senior citizen comment, I was referring to all of them, him, the Stones, Daultrey and Townshend, Clapton, they all charge a pretty penny for their tickets, in part because it's harder than it used to be. People wanna see them, people obviously pay these prices. The difference between Paul and the Stones, who tour once every 10 years also, is that you like the Stones, so you won't bitch about their $1000 tickets, but you'll be damned if you pay that to hear Paul butcher a Ringo classic.
    Paul is my favorite musician of all-time.
    If I could unzip myself from this body and jump into another one, I'd be Paul.
    As far as I'm concerned Paul is the greatest songwriter of the Rock era bar none.

But Ringo has always been and alway will be my favorite Beatle.
  • [quote author=Gunner4Life link=topic=15072.msg229694#msg229694 date=1365286443]

Ringo is also just Ringo! This is Paul Fucking McCartney, whether you like him or not is pretty much irrelevant, because the fact of the matter is that Paul was the most successful of the 4, even when all 4 were still alive. He can get what he gets because he is who he is. Don't wanna spend a grand on a Paul McCartney ticket, don't, you don't like him anyway.

As for the senior citizen comment, I was referring to all of them, him, the Stones, Daultrey and Townshend, Clapton, they all charge a pretty penny for their tickets, in part because it's harder than it used to be. People wanna see them, people obviously pay these prices. The difference between Paul and the Stones, who tour once every 10 years also, is that you like the Stones, so you won't bitch about their $1000 tickets, but you'll be damned if you pay that to hear Paul butcher a Ringo classic.
    [/quote]
    I think I conceded to both the fact that Ringo doesn't have the draw that McCartney has as well as that it is indeed "Paul Fucking McCartney." I don't believe I implied that my personal preferences have anything to do with the issue and I do believe that I mentioned that I in fact have some affinity for Paul anyway. Why else would I have been interested in tickets to see his show?

I was using Paul McCartney as a recent example that instigated what I thought was a harmless thread. I'm not sure about the Rolling Stones and that I "won't bitch about their $1000 tickets" since I'm not generally a fan of anything the Rolling Stones have done since roughly 1981. I did see them when they came around for Steel Wheels and had a great time.

What's wrong, Gunner? You seem a little edgy today.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    I doubt there are very many shows that are more expensive to put than an Iron Maiden show. I paid somewhere around $70 for
    tickets for upfront in the Pit for last summer's show in Charlotte. In this day and age that is more than reasonable. The floor
    prices for Eric Crapton here in Raleigh were outrageous from what I understand(nosebleeds were $70)…….and thats just him
    and his band up there playing under a minimal production. So I fail to see how a McCartney or Crapton show is that expensive
    to put on. THe only thing I can see is greed or they are not in control of their ticket sales and thy are being sold to ticket
    agencies who are jacking the prices. Iron Maiden are well in control of that and seem to be looking out for their fans my
    keeping the ticket prices down.
  • That would seem to suggest that fans of older rockers have more $$ to spend on tickets. Which is probably true.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Douche :LOL:
    To be honest I don't blame Ringo.
    the guy has been signing shit for like 50 years now, it's got to be OLD as HELL now.
    Price to pay for being a Beatle.

A lot of people won't sign shit anymore because they know it's just to get money for it on eBay.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    Kid Rock Offers All Seats on Summer Tour For $20

By Jon Wiederhorn

At a time when most artists are raising the cost of concert tickets in order to combat the continuing lack of royalties from diminished album sales, Michigan-born rocker Kid Rock is sympathizing with his financially strapped fans and putting together a bill that will cost just $20 a ticket, anywhere in the venue.

On top of that, Rock and tour partner/concert promoter Live Nation is reducing service fees to $5 a ticket and making a concerted effort to lower the prices on goods available inside the venues, including beers ($4), concession deals, T-shirts ($20), and discount parking.

And Rock’s not going it alone. He’s bringing along a strong lineup of musically diverse support bands. ZZ Top will join in for 16 of the shows, Kool & The Gang will play 10, and Uncle Kracker will be on board for every gig. The tour is scheduled to launch June 20 in Bristow, Virginia, and run through September 15 in Tampa, Florida. There will be three concerts at Detroit, Michigan’s DTE Energy Music Theatre.

“Artists demand so much money, and you have to set ticket prices at [a certain level],” Rock told Billboard. “Everyone's fighting the system, and it's really been all of our faults. We're all fortunate to make as much money as we do, and I can surely take a pay cut and help out in these hard times.”

The first 20 rows of tickets will be paperless wherever possible, and each night, the first two rows of seats won’t be sold until right before the event. Some view Rock’s summer tour as act of charity; others see it more as a way to remain competitive in a crowded tour market.

“Realistically, Kid Rock couldn’t have expected to sell 20,000 tickets on his own at a normal ticket price,” says Pollstar editor Gary BonGiovanni. “This is clearly an effort to try to fill the places up. Everybody realizes the value of a $20 ticket in today’s market. If you’re talking about $25 out the door to go see Kid Rock, that’s a heck of a deal.”

BonGiovanni added that both Rock and Live Nation stand to make back on beer whatever they may lose on ticket sales. “ZZ Top are a fairly expensive act in their own right,” he said. “I imagine they’re gonna need to back up the beer trucks to the amphitheaters since the beers are $4.”

Good for him!!!!  :clap:

• Very classy.
    -Regardless of not being able to demand obnoxious amounts of money like ZZ Top or The Rolling Stones or whomever else.

I have a soft spot for Kid Rock and have three of his records. I like one of them a LOT and a second one a little.

Thanks for posting DTG. A nice read.
  • FYI
    Stones are coming to Boston in June -- whatever they're calling the Garden these days.

1 Seat on the floor, Row 11 - $625.75 face value through Ticket Bastard.

(no, I'm not going.)
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=15072.msg230023#msg230023 date=1366047208]
    FYI
    Stones are coming to Boston in June -- whatever they're calling the Garden these days.

1 Seat on the floor, Row 11 - $625.75 face value through Ticket Bastard.

(no, I'm not going.)
    [/quote]

I know there are alot of crew and people at each venue that need to be paid but come on…..the Stones
    have more money than some countries…..how much money do they need? Even after everyone is paid
    the Stones have to be making a killing at each show.