I Love You Paul, But You're Not THAT Cute Anymore

guitarrednfeatheredguitarrednfeathered Posts: 4,180
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Really big deal this morning made out of the announcement that Paul McCartney will take his show to Washington DC this July. If you know me well, you know that I am a huge Beatle geek and that Paul is my 4th favorite Beatle. I do not care very much for his post Beatle stuff. (Sorry, I know a lot of you love him, so no offense intended.)

I also do not usually fall on the side of the fence that reprimands musicians/artists for making as much money as they can regardless of whether their projects seem legitimate enough to us or not. I am all for them making as much cash as they can; more power to them!

However:
I was listening to the radio make this announcment and though I have seen Paul twice, I would see him again just based on my Beatle love. Washington DC was the first US show that The Beatles did so it's kind of cool for that reason too.

Ticket prices are so OBNOXIOUSLY high that I feel like even if I HAD the money to do it, I wouldn't because it's so offensive to be outrageously charged like that. I'm certainly not here to judge how much wealth is enough or not enough for anyone but myself. But I feel like McCartney is being a little bit of a douche.

I realize that his shows require a larger than normal amount of money to execute. I realize that he's a Beatle (and so does he.) And I realize that he doesn't tour quite as much as other icons like Aerosmith or Tom Petty or whomever else.

But come on, Paul. Mr. Earth/Dr. Doolittle. Are you giving any of that to PETA or some other charitable organization? A dollar per ticket? A DOLLAR, and I would say, "You know what? He's Paul McCartney and he can get away with charging anything he wants, and good for him." He could even keep the prices where the are now and ADD the dollar and I would feel better.

I dunno, I guess I sometimes contradict myself on this subject but I just found the announcement this morning to be a bit distasteful.

Comments

• I'm sure he's worse, but ALL ticket prices --even face value -- are laughably high.  That's another consequence of people not buying music anymore. The money has to be made touring. Not that these effect McCartney.

Sammy Hagar stated once (or twice) that he would like to be able to create a scenario where his fans wouldn't ever have to pay to see him play anymore.  Just do free concerts. While I'm sure Sammy could afford this easily for himself, all the people in the band, crew, venues, etc. still all have to get paid.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    I do miss the days when tickets were 5, 6, and 7 bucks for the good seats.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    My wife is a huge eagles fan and I was going to get tickets to catch them here in Ottawa until I saw the price.  Nose bleed seats were 160$.  I almost choked on my coffee.  Couldn't believe it.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    Incredible how much ticket prices have inflated - it has to be like, 10,000 percent...lol.....

1981 - VH tix, Ozzy tix - $15.00 - FIFTEEN!!!!

• Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    He's gonna be see 71 in a couple months, the guys a senior citizen, these guys put on 2 hour sets at times that the typical senior is calling it a night. Venues also charge various prices, when I saw Megadeth in Atlantic City it was $45 a ticket at the Showboat, Velvet Revolver a few years earlier was $180 a ticket at the Borgata when all their other shows in NJ were $45-$55. It's not all on the artist.
  • A friend of my saw Zeppelin on the Houses tour at Boston Garden for $6.50.  By the time I started going to shows in the early 80s, face value on a ticket was $15.  When the Stones came through on the Tatoo You tour 81, the ticket I think was $16.50, but I had to pay $50 to get the ticket. The first major jump I saw was in 92 for Rush on the Counterparts tour for $41 face value. The Rush tour from the year before was less than $20. So that was an over 100% bump, and that's kind of when I stopped going regularly.  I paid agency scalpers $175 to see Page/Plant in 95. I paid an agency $125 for GREAT Jeff Beck seats in 99. I paid $200 on ebay to see Heaven and Hell at Radio City. Those were all sort of special events. But now the face value prices are in those ranges. In recent years, I don't really go to concerts if I can't get in for free because I know someone.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,675
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=15072.msg229612#msg229612 date=1365193638]
    My wife is a huge eagles fan and I was going to get tickets to catch them here in Ottawa until I saw the price.  Nose bleed seats were 160$.  I almost choked on my coffee.  Couldn't believe it.
    [/quote]

It was actually the Eagles that started this with $104 face value tickets on their first reunion tour in 94.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    What about Stones' Steel Wheels? That was the first tour where I heard people complaining about ticket prices for a rock band, before them it was Barbara Steisand.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    Most I've ever paid for tix was $75 for Jeff Beck in a really small venue. had to pick 'em up off kijiji, because he sold out so quick.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    Well....The Rolling Stones start touring in May....Tickets are roughly from $300 to over $1000.

Git your tickets quick!!

Rolling Stones
    May 11Las Vegas, NV $595+(214 tickets)
    Rolling Stones May 15 Anaheim, CA $481+(295 tickets)
    Rolling Stones May 28 Chicago, IL $556+(271 tickets)
    Rolling Stones Jun 12Boston, MA $466+(254 tickets)
  • M11M11 Posts: 839
    When McCartney played here in 2011 his show set a record high for ticket prices, with the most expensive seats priced at roughly $1,135.00 USD (the ticket that I got was roughly $128.00 USD).
    In 1996, I saw AC/DC on the Ballbreaker Tour for almost 20 dollars... the good old days. :sad:
  • There are some great points made here. I don't think this is the worst crime of the century, and as I said, I do understand that there are lots of factors that make a Paul McCartney show expensive. Everything from the amount of staff it takes to run the stage/lights, to the venue charges, to the amount of security needed all make a show like this one more expensive.

I do not however, think he deserves to charge more money because he's a senior citizen. Would I expect to pay him less because he's a senior citizen? No. It's not a one way street there for me. If he's not well enough or hearty enough to perform a two hour set at 10 o'clock then he should either stop doing it, or reformulate the time slot if that helps. He's Paul McCartney. If he tells his venues (and certainly his fans) that he wants to do all his shows at 2 o'clock in the afternoon or he isn't willing to do it all then I'm betting they would work it out.

Ringo is older than Paul, tours more than Paul, and charges less. No he doesn't have the demand that Paul has but as far as rigor on an old body? Pick on him all you like, but he is and always will be my third favorite Beatle and I think he's pretty cool.
    [quote author=Donthegreek link=topic=15072.msg229640#msg229640 date=1365219927]
    Well....The Rolling Stones start touring in May....Tickets are roughly from $300 to over $1000.

Git your tickets quick!!

Rolling Stones
    May 11Las Vegas, NV $595+(214 tickets)
    Rolling Stones May 15 Anaheim, CA $481+(295 tickets)
    Rolling Stones May 28 Chicago, IL $556+(271 tickets)
    Rolling Stones Jun 12Boston, MA $466+(254 tickets)
    [/quote]

Ha ha .....those old farts can kiss my ass.  :fu:

That is just ridiculous....
  • Demented TedDemented Ted Posts: 1,010
    I might not be able to sit through a Rollings Stones show if I was paid $500 to do so.But it's all supply and demand....If the Rolling Corpses can squeeze their fans for that much cash and still fill the
    house,good for them.And If Sabbath is able tour to support the new album,(and we all hope that Tony is well enough for them to do so),I'll be grabbing my ankles and paying the price!
    [quote author=Demented Ted link=topic=15072.msg229670#msg229670 date=1365265148]
    I might not be able to sit through a Rollings Stones show if I was paid $500 to do so.But it's all supply and demand....If the Rolling Corpses can squeeze their fans for that much cash and still fill the
    house,good for them.And If Sabbath is able tour to support the new album,(and we all hope that Tony is well enough for them to do so),I'll be grabbing my ankles and paying the price!
    [/quote]

LMAO - nice.

I don't know - I suppose if people are willing to pay it then whatever - just kind of seems to be raping the shit out of your fans at this point. You've had a 50 year career, are all rich as can be, and maybe you should show some fan appreciation by not literally robbing them to see your show. Jen's right - it's not my place to decide how one uses their money, or how much they want/need - but damn that just seems like a kick in the ass to your longtime fan base when you should instead be rewarding them for making you so rich in the first place.....IMO.