Devin Townsend - Addicted

SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lNzmlm0wsto

It just doesn't get much better than this!  :ohyeah:

Comments

• OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Epic! thanks for the link, not heard any of his recent stuff!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    Sounds like Ministry meets Abba…..
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=15042.msg229325#msg229325 date=1364799870]
    Sounds like Ministry meets Abba…..
    [/quote]

:mrhappy:

Awesome, thanks.

Anneke van Giersbergen is HOT, and talented.

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Sorry guys . :whistle:

I could only take about 4 minutes .

I know Devin's a shred robot of questionable taste ....Then I saw him when he toured with Steve Vai and hated his screaming castration vocals with a passion . It was torture . He jumps around like somebody hit his scrotal sack with a stun gun .  :silenced:
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    Devin's one of my favourite musicians ever. Love everything he's done.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=15042.msg229350#msg229350 date=1364835898]

I know Devin's a shred robot of questionable taste ....Then I saw him when he toured with Steve Vai and hated his screaming castration vocals with a passion . It was torture . He jumps around like somebody hit his scrotal sack with a stun gun .  :silenced:
    [/quote]

No worries there - It'd be pretty dull here if we all liked the same stuff!  :up:

It's funny really - I hated the stuff he did with Steve Vai, but now I'd sooner listen to a DT album than anything Vai's done recently!

And now the Skullet in full angry mode...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJe-EgBauw  :metal:
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    [quote author=Snoogans link=topic=15042.msg229378#msg229378 date=1364901647]

It's funny really - I hated the stuff he did with Steve Vai, but now I'd sooner listen to a DT album than anything Vai's done recently!

[/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

The Vai co-op was awful.

But records like Terria, Physicist, Epicloud and Deconstruction are way better than anything Vai has ever issued in is own name.
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=15042.msg229384#msg229384 date=1364911460]
    [quote author=Snoogans link=topic=15042.msg229378#msg229378 date=1364901647]

[/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

The Vai co-op was awful.

But records like Terria, Physicist, Epicloud and Deconstruction are way better than anything Vai has ever issued in is own name.
    [/quote]

Terria is my favourite, or maybe Ocean Machine. Devin's got even more vocal chops now though. He was good back then, he's a MONSTER now. Compare the version of "Kingdom" on Physicist to the one on Epicloud. The new one is the definitive version IMO.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    Great vocalist, great guitarist - and I really can't get into what he produces, too off the wall for me.
    I've tried, I got the Vai thing, which was just schizophrenic, and after 4 tracks I folded.

And everything else is too "shouty".

At least he's had a haircut...
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=15042.msg229350#msg229350 date=1364835898]

[/quote]

I think he is really hit and miss. I have heard some cool stuff from him, but a lot of it I don't get. I bought that
    Strapping Young Lad album 'Alien' when it came out….and was very disappointed based on all the hype around him. It all sounded the
    same to me.
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=15042.msg229484#msg229484 date=1365038434]
    ...I bought that Strapping Young Lad album 'Alien' when it came out….and was very disappointed based on all the hype around him. It all sounded the same to me.[/quote]

The SYL album to get is City. It's a much stronger record than Alien. It's almost comically heavy, while also being infuriatingly catchy. One of my favourite discs of all time!  :metal: 
    Um, Alien was fucking AWESOME. City is still my favourite SYL album though. It's one of the most raw, visceral, and painful albums I've ever heard.
    Alien is awesome, no doubt about that, but City is a force of nature!
    I've heard it likened to being tied to a chair in a wind tunnel. Which is about right!  :metal: