Did Don Felder get screwed over from the Eagles?

Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
Glen Frey seemed to be the one that caused this. He (Frey) wanted him and Don to get a bigger cut. Felder wanted it to be a real band. The dude wrote the music and iconic solo to their biggest song ever. But Glen and Henley seemed to write most the songs according to Frey. Sounds a little like Axl to me.

Comments

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,203
    I read Felder's book Heaven and Hell a couple years back. From Felder's point of view, it seemed like a real personality conflict between him and Frey, and jealousy from Henley. A classic case of how money and fame (and chemicals, I'm sure) can affect people for the worst. I would be interested in reading Frey's autobio, if he were to write one.

And I'm sure you're aware, Axl did some vocals on a Henley song...
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Seems like a good guy, and that Hotel Solo is beyond awesome. Must be a pretty good player.

• I like his style.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    And I'm sure you're aware, Axl did some vocals on a Henley song...
    I bet you didn't know Henley played drums for GnR.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=14878.msg227073#msg227073 date=1361117434]
    Seems like a good guy, and that Hotel Solo is beyond awesome. Must be a pretty good player.
    [/quote]

Joe Walsh did the second and fourth solos in that song. They played off each other very well.
  • You can't fake that solo, it keeps changing key. Very tasty playing.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,643
    I loved Don's contribution of the title track to the movie "Heavy Metal" soundtrack.

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=14878.msg227092#msg227092 date=1361168396]
    I loved Don's contribution of the title track to the movie "Heavy Metal" soundtrack.

[/quote]

Yeah I always liked that song. I remember when I heard it as a kid. For the longest time I thought it
    was the band Red Rider. You can hear some of the Joe Walsh influence in the lead stuff in that song.
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,697
    That was one of my favorite songs from Heavy Metal. I still love it today.
  • IMO, yes, Felder got screwed over.

cvansickle mentioned Felder's book. I highly recommend it. It's very straight-forward and honest. The title is Heaven & Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001).

The Eagles documentary that ran this past weekend on Showtime is worth watching if you like the band. I know they aren't that revered around here, but they were a quintessential part of 70s rock in America. Hell, they're the most successful American band of all time (total album sales). They really helped create a sub-genre of rock/country that went on to influence so many country artists later on. Their songs have stood the test of time...
  • I saw the documentary as well this weekend. That is where this topic came from.