80’s Killer Pop Guitar - Obsession – Animotion

ShoogliePegShoogliePeg Posts: 245
This is a strange one, don’t ask how I came to listen to this but last night I heard the US 12” version of a song called Obsession by a 80’s Synth Pop band Animotion and I was freaked out by the guitar solo it was flaming  :ohyeah:

I think the guitarist’s name is Don Kirkpatrick anybody got any idea if he ever did anything else worth a listen?

It reminded me that a lot of 80’s pop bands had some great guitar work certainly influenced by our heroes and the fusion guys around at the time.

One example that springs to mind is Go West’s first album a guy called Alan Murphy who also worked with Kate Bush and Level 42.

Best example is probably EVH, but can you think of any other Pop with killer guitar?

Comments

• OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Cruella De Ville...genius wacky cartoonesque pop with 'Brian May on speed' guitar...

Gypsy Girl
    Hong Kong Swing

...they recorded an album with Roy Wood producing, but the band imploded before it could be released...it still hasnt seen the light of day 30 years later!
    [quote author=ShoogliePeg link=topic=14668.msg223899#msg223899 date=1356095303]

It reminded me that a lot of 80’s pop bands had some great guitar work certainly influenced by our heroes and the fusion guys around at the time.

[/quote] Alan Murphy was ace, I loved his live work with Go West. Very Holdsworth influenced but in a far more comercial way...he used a Strat with a Kahler and one of those palm bars for upward note pulling.

Here's some of Alan in his fusion band SFX
    Brum Electro Funk band Fashion on the Old Grey Whistle Test with guitarist Alan Darby
  • Damn, Alan Murphy! There's a name you don't see mentioned often enough. He was absolutely phenomenal and by all accounts was Kate Bush's favourite guitar player. Huge loss to the guitar community, imo. Would love to have seen what he might have come out with had he still been alive.

As for pop with killer guitar, Allan Holdsworth played guitar with Level 42 for an album back in the early 90's:

Another player who i think was quite Holdsworth influenced was Daryl Stuermer who played on a number of the Phil Collins hits from the 80's. Some great solo's to be found on tracks like 'Easy Lover'. The problem i have, is that the songs themselves are god awful, lol.

You might also want to check out some of the regular heavy hitters from the 80's pop scene, Michael Landau, Dan Huff, Dean Parks, Larry Carlton, Hirum Bullock, and Paul Jackson Jnr.
    I would absolutely recommend checking out Paul Jackson Jnr's 'The Science of Rhythm' guitar dvd. I would consider it a must have.

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Eddie Martinez!
    He played the riffs that Robert Palmer's girls mimed to. Also worked with David Lee Roth on Crazy From The Heat.
    Francis Dunnery did some great stuff with It Bites in the 80s before joining Robert Plant's band....
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 859

I think the guitarist’s name is Don Kirkpatrick anybody got any idea if he ever did anything else worth a listen?

[/quote]
    A quick google showed he was in Rod Stewarts band.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,677
    I think one of the best 80s pop guitarists is Elliott Easton from The Cars.  I always thought he played the coolest licks and riffs in all of the right places.
  • [quote author=Osky link=topic=14668.msg223968#msg223968 date=1356171592]
    Francis Dunnery did some great stuff with It Bites in the 80s before joining Robert Plant's band....
    [/quote]

Oh Osky Francis Dunnery, It Bites don't get me started I love that band +1 mate.

I did a post on them some time ago on here the guitar work on songs like Once Around the World and You'll Never go to Heaven is top drawer IMHO. He was very Allan Holdsworth influenced too I think. You know the guitar solo on Ice Melts into Water is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard a very haunting song altogether

Good shout on Daryl Stuermer Worldgonestrange the guy who had to replace Steve Hackett for Genesis live. He was good, for me I like Genesis stuff up to Stevie boy left started to go downhill after that IMHO. My favourite Phil Collins solo moment is the famous drum break in Air Tonight

I did not know that Allan Holdsworth played on a Level 42 album. I really liked the earlier Level 42 albums love slappy bass guitar

Thanks for all the recommendations folks cheers - Billy
  • [quote author=shaggy link=topic=14668.msg223969#msg223969 date=1356171938]

[/quote]
    A quick google showed he was in Rod Stewarts band.
    [/quote]

Cheers Shaggy going to look into that, see what I can find.
  • Andy Summers is another guy that one shouldn't overlook. He released some cool instrumental albums throughout the 80's and into the 90's. His quirky angular sense of harmony always appealed to me.

This is one of my favourites from his solo work:

Adrian Belew popped up as a session guy on quite a few records in the 80s...his 'enraged saxophonist' impersonations at 1:53 and 5:28 on this Talking Heads tune from 1980 are in my opinion incredible!