Gary Hoey

SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
Why is this guy so obscure?
His CDs are next to impossible to find, nobody talks about him...
I've got a couple of his albums and they offer a fun mix of guitar styles. I'd love to explore more, but I can't find them :wall:

Comments

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Found the same thing.  He is a great guitarist with lots of interesting and fun songs.  Take what I can get when I can get it.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    funny you should mention Gary, I just saw him a couple of weeks back. My second time seeing him. I enjoy his material
    and he seems to be an excellent player as well as a nice guy. Not sure why he remains unknown to a lot f people.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    The lack of reaction to this thread says it all, doesn't it... :wink:
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    Ok, I'll chime in here........

Saw him play a club in  Seattle back in......... :doh:, man I don't know, early 90's?Mid '90s?Late '90s....?? A long time ago anyways....

It was some charity thing, bring a few cans of food, you're in.Anyways, this was back when he'd had his hit a few years before, his cover of Hocus Pocus, & he still had the long hair....

He was unbelievably good, actually one of the best I've seen really.Witnessed him from up close, in the cramped quarters of the little club   the Ballard Firehouse for any of you familiar out there  :wink:.

He was playing a Strat (the Big Apple model that would become his preference for a few years) & sounded great.....did a smokin' version of Black Magic Woman I'll never forget.He really is a lot better than he gets credit for & of course I always forget him.Not so much my fave style of music, his uptempo happy instrumentals but the guy can play.Shred?No problem.But he's melodic as hell and has great phrasing.....his Ho Ho Hoey!! album is by far my fave Christmas album, he does some Dino justice to the Christmas classics.

Met him after the show & he was super cool, laid back & down to earth.The guy is a monster player & no one knows.

Shame.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    I like Gary Hoey a lot too. Definitely one of the few guitar instrumental types who can still keep it 'fun'.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,675
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=14634.msg223395#msg223395 date=1355166862]
    Why is this guy so obscure?
    His CDs are next to impossible to find, nobody talks about him...
    I've got a couple of his albums and they offer a fun mix of guitar styles. I'd love to explore more, but I can't find them :wall:
    [/quote]

you can find some of his CDs here.

http://surfdog.com/catalog/cds/instrumental-rock
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    [quote author=Stitsel link=topic=14634.msg223544#msg223544 date=1355447736]
    Ok, I'll chime in here........

Saw him play a club in  Seattle back in......... :doh:, man I don't know, early 90's?Mid '90s?Late '90s....?? A long time ago anyways....

It was some charity thing, bring a few cans of food, you're in.Anyways, this was back when he'd had his hit a few years before, his cover of Hocus Pocus, & he still had the long hair....

He was unbelievably good, actually one of the best I've seen really.Witnessed him from up close, in the cramped quarters of the little club   the Ballard Firehouse for any of you familiar out there  :wink:.

He was playing a Strat (the Big Apple model that would become his preference for a few years) & sounded great.....did a smokin' version of Black Magic Woman I'll never forget.He really is a lot better than he gets credit for & of course I always forget him.Not so much my fave style of music, his uptempo happy instrumentals but the guy can play.Shred?No problem.But he's melodic as hell and has great phrasing.....his Ho Ho Hoey!! album is by far my fave Christmas album, he does some Dino justice to the Christmas classics.

Met him after the show & he was super cool, laid back & down to earth.The guy is a monster player & no one knows.

Shame.
    [/quote]

he played some material from the Ho Ho Hoey album and I thought he did a great job on the Christmas classics. Very enjoyable