Stones, "Some Girls" concert

Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
Watching on Paladia, damn, Keef has some nice tasty leads!!!!

Beast of Burden from the show
Post edited by JaminJim on

Comments

• They are the only band in the world where two bad lead players can solo over each other at the same time and it still works somehow.  :LOL:  By this period, the only thing keeping it from being a total train wreck was Bill Wyman. He doesn't get NEARLY enough credit.

Seriously, it's almost impossible to cover the Some Girls-and-later era Stones songs in a band and have them sound anything like the Stones versions, because no band in their right mind has guitarists who play like this.

And yet, I still love it.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
    This sounds great.

I agree they are not virtuoso guitar players, but that might not work here. When Mick Taylor was playing with them, which was my favorite Stones era, they didn't really have that same interplay.

Ronnie Wood's guitar is interesting, what type is it? I should know, but I don't.

• Great stuff.  Mick is in top form, the band sounds great...It's almost a sloppy mess, but it grooves like sleazy R&B, punk as fuck.
    I really like this era of the band.

[quote author=Mike Hansen link=topic=14364.msg219112#msg219112 date=1348660271]

Ronnie Wood's guitar is interesting, what type is it? I should know, but I don't.

[/quote]

Zemaitis:

http://www.zemaitis.de/index.html
  • When Mick Taylor was in the band, the roles were fairly traditional. MT played lead, and Keith played rhythm.  When Woodie came in, Woodie played lead, and no one played rhythm. It became very free-form.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    Some Girls is right up there with Sticky Fingers and Beggar's Banquet as my favorite Stones albums, and seeing performances from this tour rules!

Thanks!
  • Mick Taylor was so awesome, but this here is so cool. Keef looks badass and Mick is an all time great front man. Love that band. I would have loved to have heard a Stones album with Slash and Izzy. Haha. Lol.
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=14364.msg219120#msg219120 date=1348669621]
    Mick Taylor was so awesome, but this here is so cool. Keef looks badass and Mick is an all time great front man. Love that band. I would have loved to have heard a Stones album with Slash and Izzy. Haha. Lol.
    [/quote]

Schenker was offered the spot...
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=14364.msg219125#msg219125 date=1348671583]
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=14364.msg219120#msg219120 date=1348669621]
    Mick Taylor was so awesome, but this here is so cool. Keef looks badass and Mick is an all time great front man. Love that band. I would have loved to have heard a Stones album with Slash and Izzy. Haha. Lol.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Michael and Keef... One is a master of precision, while the other probably never heard of the word. If Keef were to see a metronome, he'd probably say "Look at that fucked up clock. Even the pendulum is upside down. It just messes with my mind...".
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

:evil_laugh:[quote author=pprovost link=topic=14364.msg219130#msg219130 date=1348676341]
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=14364.msg219125#msg219125 date=1348671583]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Michael and Keef... One is a master of precision, while the other probably never heard of the word. If Keef were to see a metronome, he'd probably say "Look at that fucked up clock. Even the pendulum is upside down. It just messes with my mind...".
    [/quote]

:chuckle:

+1
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,115
    Keith refers to the way he and Woody play as "An Ancient Form Of Weaving".
    Satriani said that he was once backstage at a Stones show and standing by the amps and his impression was that the whole band was jamming around a chord progression, but no one was playing the actual chords.
    I love Keith Richards and the Stones.
    Ron Wood is an underrated guitarist IMO, I'm a big fan of the Faces and Ronnie's solo albums.

Here they are playing my favorite song!!
    Love the way Ronnie plays this solo.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=14364.msg219138#msg219138 date=1348680560]
    Keith refers to the way he and Woody play as "An Ancient Form Of Weaving".
    [/quote]

Are you sure that Keith was talking about playing and not about walking?  :biggrin:
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Very impressed with what I have dvr'd from this show. Ronnie was pretty damn good back in the day and Keith can really play chuck berry leads, really really well. Mick is really rocking out, he was such a talent. I can really see how early GNR got a ton of stones comparisons after watching this. The band is smoking on tumbling dice, brown sugar and Jumpin Jack Flash!!  It's a shame there are no bands like this anymore. You don't have to be heavy to rock. Damn, they had such a Dino swagger to them without even being Dino. I wish I grew up in the 70's. I am jealous of those that did from a Rock N Roll standpoint.
  • Always seemed to me that Ronnie’s job was to sound no better than Keith on a good day.