Alex Skolnick jams with Monte Pittman

Pretty inspiring stuff. Would be cool to see Alex doing a little more acoustic stuff outside of Testament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXauSQ1mfII

Comments

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    Skolnick is a fucking monster. Love the guy. I saw him play about 4 feet away from me at a Testament show in Calgary. It was awe-inspring.
  • [quote author=Isaac link=topic=14293.msg218005#msg218005 date=1347498469]
    Skolnick is a fucking monster. Love the guy. I saw him play about 4 feet away from me at a Testament show in Calgary. It was awe-inspring.
    [/quote]

I can well imagine. Such a unique player. His phrasing is to die for.
  • Studied jazz with him for a couple of years in the late 90s...

Can play so many styles and sound like that is all he has ever played.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,115
    I studied with him in the late 90's too!!
    When and where?
    Did you go to his place or the music school?
    Alex is insane, he's always been one of my favorite players.
    The new Testament album is amazing as well.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    Alex in the studio:  

Awesome soloing in the studio for a cover of IM's Powerslave: 
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I have seen Trans Siberian Orchestra twice and both times it was with Skolnick.  Met him at the meet and greet just before Testament got back together or they had just gotten back together.  My kids thought he was cool.  We chatted up the band for a few and my youngest got picks from Alex and the other guitar player Chris Cafferry.  He was really cool and was great to watch.  He does so many different things his fills and solos are always interesting.  He had just released his first or second rock covers in jazz album and some of the stuff he played during his solo was really out there.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=14293.msg219139#msg219139 date=1348680674]
    I studied with him in the late 90's too!!
    When and where?
    Did you go to his place or the music school?
    Alex is insane, he's always been one of my favorite players.
    The new Testament album is amazing as well.
    [/quote]

It was 99 - 00.  I saw his flyer at that amazing music store that used to be by Astor Place - cant remember the name of it, but it was basically the Library of Congress for sheet music. But I remember the flyer saying "No thrash."  I had wanted to learn jazz for a while, but couldn't get the feel, and Alex was the Rosetta Stone that explained to a metalhead the feel you need to play swing and Latin beats.

I took lessons was at his place.  He used to live on 14th between 9th and 10th or so, and then he moved up to the UWS.

He used to gig a lot at Detour, which was on 13th and 1st.  I lived in the East Village at the time, and we would always catch his shows there.  The drummer was a bartender there and did these awesome jam sessions on Sun nights and Wed nights.  Good times, but it was sad that a player of Alex's caliber was playing for "pass the hat" money.