Nile At the Gate of Sethu

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
Eight listens in and still absorbing. Right off the bat, the title track is one of the best Nile tracks ever, it strikes me as operatic with all the different voices. That whole, Wagnerian "music drama" concept. It's probably my favorite on the album, lots of care went into that song and it shows. The rest of the album exemplifies that intense attention to detail, and unfolds more with repeated listens. I can't say that about the albums since Annihilation of the Wicked, which were less daring yet more upfront/accessible.

This is the kind of album that people who are into music for music are going to put with their favorites.

The first time I listened I mistakenly pushed the bass settings up two notches, and soon after discovered I was missing out on a lot due to the lopsided eq. Now I keep it on the regular death metal eq configuration and find the proceedings much more absorbable. There's not as much crushing bass sound on this album, Neil Kernon went for a more even mix because of the added subtleties in the vocals and to a lesser degree the other instruments.

Though there's so much to appreciate about the album that I hesitate to go into it too much for now, I have to mention how happy I am about both the quality and number of leads on the album. I definitely hear a certain German someone's influence on more than one lick, and that's always a plus in my book. Karl's sound is crackling, very precise at times but fitting the music in a different way that the Slayer/Deicide school. There's more thought overall, but of course there's a lot of shredding. Considering the peculiar, unique brand of Tech-Death that Nile pioneered, the shredding isn't out of place in the least, though of course I would have loved Karl to explore his Uli Roth fetish even further, with Eastern lead guitar melodies predominant. There are his solo albums for that I suppose. And I have to mention how awesome drummer George Kollias sounds on this album, but would anyone familiar with George be suprised about this?

The best compliment I have on the album itself is that I'm excited to hear it a ninth time.

VVVVv

My Nile ratings (Sethu will probably rise up at least one the more I listen):

1) In Their Darkened Shrines
2) Those Whom the Gods Detest
3) Annihilation of the Wicked
4) At the Gate of Sethu
5) Ithyphallic
6) Black Seeds of Vengeance
7) Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

As a sidebar, this cd is damning proof that, barring the beat-dominated hip hop, boy band, and Rebecca Black crowd, mp3s as a medium don't do a modern day release any real musical justice. With each listen I become more convinced that a person would cheat the hell out of him or herself by only listening to the mp3s, as the compression hopelessly obscures so much of worth here, whole layers are all but lost through that medium. Listen to the cd through your stereo or a really good set of headphones, I've heard both mp3s and cd and you definitely want the latter.

Post edited by Haffner on

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    I too am convinced that is their best yet.

Production, songs, arrangements, drums, guitars and vocals just WORK. And work great.

I listen to "The Gods That Light Up The Gate Of Sethu" on repeat !

I usually listen to death and black metal one spin or one record at the time. Not this one.
    There' s no listening fatigue at all here.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=14120.msg216001#msg216001 date=1345352526]
    I too am convinced that is their best yet.

Production, songs, arrangements, drums, guitars and vocals just WORK. And work great.

I listen to "The Gods That Light Up The Gate Of Sethu" on repeat !

I usually listen to death and black metal one spin or one record at the time. Not this one.
    There' s no listening fatigue at all here.
    [/quote]

Great album! I told Karl how I thought "The Gods That Light Up The Gate Of Sethu" was almost operatic with all the different vocals. He loved that! It's really cool, because he and his producer, the esteemable Neil Kernon, try to make themselves accessible to the fans. Karl as a personality is about as Metal as you can get, he just loves it, and it's easy to get swept up by his enthusiasm. One of his most prevalent catch phrases:"I f&%$kin' LOVE metal!".

Karl is, like me, an Uli Roth obsessive, and gets very happy whenever his guitar stuff gets likened to Uli. So for me he is very easy to get along with lol!

This new album is especially great I think because of the sound. All the little Blabberpunks complained that the production wasn't heavy enough. Karl said that they wanted to make all the instruments ring out as much as possible, so some of the low end had to be sacrificed. The result is a death metal classic. You can hear new things with every listen.