Karl Sanders on Metal Tones

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Though the music of Nile is of extremely limited (to no) appeal here, I found this article really interesting, especially where he talks about Metal players and their pet processors. His words about Splawn amplification made me have a rare instance of GAS (checked 'em out on youtube WOW :drool:).

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/seymour-duncan-artists/nile/

Comments

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Interesting comments.  I am starting to agree with his comments though. If you learn it clean you are forced to ensure that you hit the right notes, bends, slides.  Nowhere to hide the errors or lack of technique means I work harder at ensuring the technique and performance are at more than par. With distortion and all the added effects later, it ends ups sounding so much more than if you had practiced with the effects.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    Thanks for that Andy, and yes, Nile do appeal to me. A lot.
    I ordered At The Gate Of Sethu on 2LP Green vinyl gatefold last night.

And I also agree on Karl Sanders' comments on Splawn amps.
    I started working at a new place last week , and soon discovered that a collegue also played guitar. We got to talking, and when he asked what distortion box I used I answered "Splawn ProStock".

Imo any guitar player into dino or metal should at least try playing a Splawn.

And the article gave me gas for a couple of 7 string Invader pups in my Framus and Carvin guitars
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Buying my Splawn was the best gear decision I've made in many a year. It has effectively ended my quest for a performing amp.
    I agree with Agrippa : every hard rock/metal player should play one at least once in his life.

If the new Nile is in stock, I'll have my copy tomorrow. They do death metal like nobody else :metal:
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    Cool interview.  He and I are on the same page, in the "approach to tone" department.  I love fuzz/distortion/and overdrive but have found that cleaner sounds record better, and work better in the room.  And, it makes you have to up the ante in the technique dept.

Also, guess what tiny amp I've been gassing for (for the same reasons mentioned in the article)  yeah, the Class 5 has been nagging at me for a while now.

I'm not what you'd call a Nile fan, but I saw 'em a couple of times on the early tours (when I worked at the metal club here in town) and they were brutal, in a good way.  Definitely a unique band--out of the countless extreme/thrash/death/black/speed/metal shows that I worked, Nile for some reason stood out. 
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Exactly. Less gain and saturation records better and forces you to have a tighter technique. And if you layer ultra distorted guitars you wind up with mush. When palm muting where you place the fleshy part of your pick hand can make the difference between razor sharp attack and mushy poo.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=14054.msg213928#msg213928 date=1342781489]
    His words about Splawn amplification made me have a rare instance of GAS
    [/quote]

GAS??? WTF? I assume that didn't mean you had the farts  :tongue: so spot the  :newbie: what does GAS stand for please?
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,771
    [quote author=Osky link=topic=14054.msg216703#msg216703 date=1346229780]
    [/quote]

GAS??? WTF? I assume that didn't mean you had the farts  :tongue: so spot the  :newbie: what does GAS stand for please?
    [/quote]

GAS= Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Most people here suffer from GAS, but some are among the worst cases on Earth. You'll soon know who they are.  :LOL:

[quote author=Seven Moons link=topic=14054.msg216704#msg216704 date=1346230935]
    [quote author=Osky link=topic=14054.msg216703#msg216703 date=1346229780]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

GAS= Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Most people here suffer from GAS, but some are among the worst cases on Earth. You'll soon know who they are.  :LOL:

[/quote]

Ahhh thanks mate....and I'm guilty as charged having bought half a dozen guitars in the last  year.... OOPS!!
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Sancho has finally met his match.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
    [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=14054.msg216708#msg216708 date=1346231753]
    Sancho has finally met his match.
    [/quote]

They were just cheap Ebay bargains...honest!  :shhh: