Playing on bands you would be ashamed for money

Daniel_rsfDaniel_rsf Posts: 84
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Hey guys... I wanted to know one thing... How many of you guys had played on a lame pop band jut to get some money? I wanted to know if this is common on those dark times, where real music is not that mainstream and it's easier to earn real money by playing in shitty comercial bands.
I wanted to know if a guy that plays on a shitty comercial band just to get some money ruins his reputation and will not be able to be successful with what really matters, and that is good music, and specially dino influenced hard music.

I got a call from a friend who is a dino drummer, and he is also on it for the money. They already have a record company to support them. The music is awful, but I always have that feeling I can make it a little better by getting into the band.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    If you really really love music, and want to be able to keep playing it, there is absolutely no shame and nothing bad about playing music you don't particularly like. It just means you want to live music.

I had a bunch of money saved over years the for my own project, so the expense wasn't a big deal. But many players want to be able to live the instrument , while still being able to pay the bills. Who can put someone down for that?

Best part is, you mentioned it being possible to add your own style, personality, ideas into the equation. You don't need us to tell you that sounds overall like a great idea. Your heart will let you know if it's outright bad, and I'm guessing it won't. Be patient, and you'll find your way.

Rock the world.
  • Daniel_rsfDaniel_rsf Posts: 84
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=13996.msg212923#msg212923 date=1341169443]
    If you really really love music, and want to be able to keep playing it, there is absolutely no shame and nothing bad about playing music you don't particularly like. It just means you want to live music.

I had a bunch of money saved over years the for my own project, so the expense wasn't a big deal. But many players want to be able to live the instrument , while still being able to pay the bills. Who can put someone down for that?

Best part is, you mentioned it being possible to add your own style, personality, ideas into the equation. You don't need us to tell you that sounds overall like a great idea. Your heart will let you know if it's outright bad, and I'm guessing it won't. Be patient, and you'll find your way.

Rock the world.
    [/quote]

Thank you very much! I think I should embrace it than. And than I will have money for my own project, like you did.
    I have some ideas, even for pop bands, and I think I'll be able to express my creativity even not being the style I like. It's good to know I don't have to feel ashamed, and I won't ruin possibilities for hard rock and heavy metal.
    Another think I think about is that people will notice where I came from "hmmmm I know those style of leads... these look very... dino-like! I think this guy is really into heavy metal music" and than some opportunities fitting my style shoud come.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,895
    Sometimes you have to except that a gig is a gig, I have been there done that, been through the whole living to play thing, which financially was also about playing to live, earnt some very good money to, but it is a very fickle business and it can and sadly does dry up a lot quicker than you hope, also getting a good dino gig that is going to earn you decent money is VERY hard these days, so bottom line,  I have never been ashamed of earning money by playing my guitar, its just some gigs are more rewarding artistically than they are financially. IMHO
    [quote author=Vandenberg link=topic=13996.msg212928#msg212928 date=1341174990]
    Sometimes you have to except that a gig is a gig, I have been there done that, been through the whole living to play thing, which financially was also about playing to live, earnt some very good money to, but it is a very fickle business and it can and sadly does dry up a lot quicker than you hope, also getting a good dino gig that is going to earn you decent money is VERY hard these days, so bottom line,  I have never been ashamed of earning money by playing my guitar, its just some gigs are more rewarding artistically than they are financially. IMHO
    [/quote]

Hmmm thank you! Than I will not be ashamed eighter! And I really wanted to get into that music businnes no matter what. I am a history teacher, that's ok, but all I wanted to do is live with music.

Also, I don't think I'm already good enough to gig with most of you dinos, I would feel like "they must be thinkin that I'm terrible", but when playing for those pop alternative mtv kind of audience, I'll feel like a boss "ohhh yeah I'm fuckin good".
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,115
    I have played some weird and shitty gigs for a paycheck my friend.
    I've backed up drag queens, hip hop poetry shows, played at daycare centers for toddlers, this year on fathers day a buddy of mine and I played an acoustic set of kids tunes in Central Park. I can't even get started on how many weird recording sessions I've done over the years. Especially when I ran my own studio!!
    To be a professional musician you've gotta do what you gotta do to make a living.
  • If you like playing live and you are doing it with people you get along with - all is well. There may well be 'fringe benefits'. :D

What I don't like is people who play in crappy covers bands - playing the same songs in the same venues (pubs) for over 10 years, poncing around like they are rock stars.

Like in Devon, England.

If you can get into the frame of mind that it's a 'job' and you have no real connection emotionally or spiritually to the music, you'll be fine. :)
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    But if it's a job, will you ever have the motivation to also pursue what you actually want to do musically? Just wondering.

I'm happy with keeping a job and rocking out the way I want to every now and then, but I just never have as much fun at the regular job. Writing songs, rehearsing, and playing live are all way more fulfilling.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • I imagine it's fairly difficult to find gigs that do exactly the type of music you want to do all the time and as long as you are playing, you are not only potentially learning something but you may also be networking as you said.  What's the harm?
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    I think it's completely cool.

If I would be offered to play some music I absolutely don't like but it would mean I could quit my day job doing that I would 'cause there ain't much things better than playing guitar and it surely won't harm you to get in the biz :smile:
    hehehehe it's good to know there's no such thing as destroying your reputation because you played on a pop teen band xD  we're musicians we have to make a living.
    I had an opportunity like this before but I dropped, it was a visual kei styled screamo "pig squeal" vocals band, it was too much for me... and the "leader" of the band also turned to be a pain in the ass, it helped...
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    Guthrie Govan was in Dizzie Rascal's live band.

The man's gotta eat, I guess.
  • FWIW, I believe straying out of your comfort zone musically will make you a better musician.
  • I played with a band for 3 years that I didn't really love (for various reasons) because the pay was really good for a local band. I was in the band from the start, and even named it. Some of the players were less than stellar, but there were so many other positives that I kept going with it. It eventually morphed into a wedding/function band, with occasional public gigs. I got along great with everyone, for the most part, but the singer had some serious LSS. That got very old, and the song choices and execution were getting on my nerves. A lot of really cheesy crap. I stuck it out for the pay, but it just came to a point where I couldn't do it anymore. I had to make a move, just to kick myself in the ass and try to get into something more true to myself as a musician. It was tough bailing on $2-3K weddings and functions, believe me, but I seriously needed a break.
  • Worst than pop bands... I've been playing 4 years ina BBC band (in spanish bodas, banquetes, comuniones- Weedings, banquets, holy communions) and some dancings.