New singer for Kamelot

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
These guys are not really Dino but they are one of my favorite bands and they just announced their new singer. Tommy Karevik from Seventh Wonder is the new guy. I was hoping that he was going to get the job since he should be a perfect fit for the band. I think that aside from whatever other personal issues that Roy Khan was having he was also having some trouble with his voice too. He was never really a tenor and I think that he was having trouble performing the songs live the last few tours and Tommy is definitely a tenor .....and a strong one at that and I am looking forward to their next release.

Comments

• I really like the album Mercy Falls. I prefer SW to Kamelot. I prefered Conception to Kamelot too. :)
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,603
    Not familiar with Seventh Wonder, but I've always found Kamelot to be somewhat lacking. Khan was an excellent vocalist, and some tunes were good, but something was always missing. At least in part because I never really liked the lead guitar tone (too thin), and I can't remember ever hearing him reslly let rip on a solo.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    Not familiar with Seventh Wonder, but I've always found Kamelot to be somewhat lacking. Khan was an excellent vocalist, and some tunes were good, but something was always missing. At least in part because I never really liked the lead guitar tone (too thin), and I can't remember ever hearing him really let rip on a solo..

Big fan here...Kamelot was never about the guitars... I agree with the above about the guitar issue....i like the band for Khan's vocals and the overall band/music as a whole. Was never focused on the guitarist only. Hoping tommy fits in ok on vocals. 
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,603
    I got Karma, and on most songs it just felt like you built up ready for a ripping solo...and then the guitarist didn't deliver. Good songs on the whole, but he needs a fuller lead tone and more cojones.

Just my opinion - but I wouldn't get any more of their material.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I have their first two albums. Pretty good heavy metal. Then Kahn joined who I didn't like in Conception to begin with. Then they added insult to injury and went all Meatloaf/Within Temptation on me.
    :036:
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,771
    The only Kamelot album I know is "The Black Halo", that I bought out of curiosity (2.99€ as a mp3 download on Amazon !). I think this album is as good as it gets in that genre, halfway between heavy metal and a broadway musical. I can enjoy it when I'm in the right mood. But I agree that it's lacking in the lead guitar department.

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=13975.msg213025#msg213025 date=1341393131]
    they went all Meatloaf/Within Temptation on me.
    :036:
    [/quote]

I have heard both their early and later stuff, and I got the impression that was pretty much what they were always like.

No offense to fans, and please keep in mind that I'm not a fan of that genre.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    I know these guys are an American band but this is that style of Europeon power metal, symphonic
    metal.....or whatever its called that I really don't like. I never really understood the appeal of it.
    The circus music keyboards and the vocally over saturated choruses kill it for me. Musically its
    just not very interesting because it all sounds the same to me. Helloween went this route after Michael
    Kiske left and I thought they were lame from then on.

These guys play well and I certainly don't think its terrible.....but I just can't get into it.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=13975.msg213037#msg213037 date=1341437924]
    I have heard both their early and later stuff, and I got the impression that was pretty much what they were always like.
    [/quote]
    There was always a certain level of epic to their music, but for me it got a lot worse when Khan joined. Like I said, I don't like the guy's voice, so they could have gone all Exodus and I probably still wouldn't like it :wink: