My new project

Comments

• MovingWavesMovingWaves Posts: 558
    After listening to all the tunes on youtube, I have a couple of other observations, FWIW:

Loaded Dice is destined to be covered by a New Country artist. It's a genre-crossing gem.

Hudson Valley Stomp is a phenomenal slab of Dino BBQ, served up hot but flat out raw. Invalid could be a Foo Fighters Top 40 anthem, yet boasts a better singer and a better solo.

Your wife and lead singer is a revelation for a dusty old hick from Texas. While your guitar work is exquisite (HVS solo is nasty), she steals the show. Every. Single. Tune.
  • Thanks, man. I appreciate that.  If you're interested, you can stream or download the songs from here:  http://feints1.bandcamp.com/

We're all quite use to Amy stealing the show.  :chuckle:  She's a star. Hopefully the rest of the world will know that some day.

FWIW, we're in the midst of getting drum sounds for our next round of recording -- which will be 4 of the next 13 original songs we have in the pipeline. And we feel that the next bunch will be even better than the first bunch.

It's funny you mention Dice and Hudson. Those are the two songs of the first batch that started out with me writing the riffs. Then I collaborated with Amy to finish them, arrange them, and co-write the lyrics. Most of the rest of the set is songs Amy had lying around, that developed as the rest of us got a hold of them. For example, in Death Rattle, Amy had the progression, but I wrote the riff that becomes the hook. In Little America, I wrote the twangy subhook.

But as far as the new songs go, many more of them are now collaborations like Dice and Hudson that started with my ideas. So if you liked those, you're going to be hearing a lot more of what is becoming the Dave & Amy song "signature sound" that is characterized by Dice.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • MovingWavesMovingWaves Posts: 558
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13834.msg248378#msg248378 date=1398855823]
    Thanks, man. I appreciate that.  If you're interested, you can stream or download the songs from here:  http://feints1.bandcamp.com/

But as far as the new songs go, many more of them are now collaborations like Dice and Hudson that started with my ideas. So if you liked those, you're going to be hearing a lot more of what is becoming the Dave & Amy song "signature sound" that is characterized by Dice.

[/quote]

Thanks so much for the link. And I can't wait to hear the rest. Kudos.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,378
    Time to go back to work.

We spent about 12 hours tuning drum heads, dampening pings, and minimizing snare rattle.  :%:

This is MUCH more time than we spent on drum sound for the first set of songs, and the payoffs will be big.  We also have more and better gear than we did the first time around.  So we're using better (Chandler) mic pres on the overheads, and two extra mics we didn't use last time for additional mojo.  One is the condenser hovering over the kick drum.

The second is a Royer 121 as a room mic about 5-6 feet from the front of the kit.

But the old axioms are true. Get it right at the source.  That is, you get the MOST benefit from spending the time to getting the kit tuned, dampened, and sounding great before you ever mic it up.  In this case, we are already getting huge, beefy sound with no EQ or compression.

Expect bigger drum sounds on Feints II  :evil:
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Sounds good Dave.  Looking forward to this.  That is a lot of time to spend on drums, but I would imagine it will pay off in a bigger drum sound as you say and I like the idea of a mic 5-6 ft in front.  Thanks for the information

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

Hey, I used to spend that kind of time when the clock in the studio was ticking at $45/hour, and the drummer was sacked out in on the couch in the control room.

At least it doesn't cost us anything anymore, and my drummer is a really good guy who knows what he's doing.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Did you spend the same amt of time on the last recordings as well.  The sound was good, but with the new pres and micing that will make that much of a difference.  Hmmm. :hmm:  I was never around for any drum recording.  We did spend a lot of time making sure all was in tune, but we didn't record to the same degree you did.  Usually just a two track to evaluate our performance.  I do more recording on my own now and don't tend to use any real drums since most of what I am doing is more demo related.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

The truth is that on the last recordings, the snare drum was pinging like a motherfucker.  I knew that at the time, but both my co-producer and the drummer were against dampening it further, so I deferred to them.  :doh:

NEVER AGAIN.
    Every track, we had to try to EQ out that damn pinging snare.  And for the most part we, did. But I'll tell you. It was a bitch! And a minor mistake.

Now, a year later and wiser, I said NO WAY.  We get it right at the source. Tune the kit, get out the gels or the tape and get rid of all unwanted noise before you record. Take it from me. That will take you further than better gear.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Disciple83Disciple83 Posts: 394
    Would you be able to upload 2 file tracks to compare?

One of them a sample of just the drum track from the Feints album and another track of the drum tracks but using this new setup you got going on.

I'd be curious to hear what the differences would sound like - if it isn't too much of a hassle.
    You won't really be able to tell until we finish the first track of the next bunch.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    Bass and drums tracked for the next 4 songs.

Guitar tracking begins Monday.

Unlike the last go round, we are all motivated to get these songs done more quickly.  In fact, Amy and I are going to be moving into a bigger house by the end of June, and we want to have these songs tracked BEFORE that move if possible.

Feints is gathering rep and momentum around Boston.  Offers to play keep coming in. Most of which we turn down. One we didn't is a opening slot at the Sinclair in Harvard Square in December (an annual holiday show). This will be the biggest and best venue we've played thus far, and will hopefully be packed.
    A 525-capacity rock club in Harvard Square, designed with a high stage, full lighting rig and top of the line D&B pro sound system. There is a wraparound balcony, and bars on both levels.
    We've also been invited to do a "stripped down" performance on WZLX radio.  We have to figure out what that means, cause our sound is BIG, and cannot really be stripped down unless we go the acoustic/unplugged route. We'd be willing to do that under the right circumstances.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
    The tracking of guitars went well and pretty quickly. But . . .

Getting this stripped down unplugged set together for the radio has been nothing but trouble. 3 weeks into knowing about this gig, we still haven't settled on a set or a format. Amy and I keep butting heads over it, and it's not pretty.  :arg:

Have I mentioned the pitfalls of trying to do this shit with your wife?  ugh.  :doh:

The problem with being a BIG SOUNDING, elaborate rock band is that our normal studio or live sound does not shine in a "stripped down" format. We have to assume the attitude: what would Zeppelin do?  Faced with a small control room in a radio station, would they try to be the BIG, electric Zeppelin? I think no. They would do it acoustically.

So at this point, all I know is at this point is that I'm going to do this radio gig acoustically. And we'll be playing some covers, trying to show some depth, scope, and another side of the band.

-- David St. Hubbins.
    Interesting weekend.  We secured a new manager for the band (and he will also be managing Amy's career).  Someone we already knew in a different capacity. He spent the weekend with us to get to know us better as people (and we, him).  We played him some of our new material live, and he got to feel the power of the band live. He was quite excited.

If we call his visit "a job interview," he really nailed it.  I'm a huge skeptic where things like this are concerned, but I was extremely impressed by this individual. First, he is a huge fan of our music. He may actually believe in it even more that we do, if that is possible.

Second, he has a drive and a work ethic I have seldom seen -- especially in the music business. This man is ALWAYS thinking about what he can be doing for us. He's getting ideas when he's in the shower. Or late at night after he's gone to bed.  

Third, he's a "big picture" guy.  HE GETS IT. He gets us, what we are doing, why and how we are doing it, and he wants us to change nothing. More importantly, he gets what our ideal vision of success-on-our-own-terms looks like. (hint: that doesn't mean being a constantly-touring band and turning our existing lives upside down).  Best of all, I didn't have to crawl over broken glass explaining it to him or beat it into his head. He just understood implicitly, and said "of course."

Combine a maniacal belief in the band, with understanding the band's goals, and a maniacal work ethic, and you cannot ask for much more in a manager.

Work on the new studio is almost complete. Doing sound treatment tonight. Once done, we can get back to work finishing up the next batch of songs.

We also began working out a 3 song acoustic set for the radio show gig at the end of August. It's going to be nice. Unbeknownst to us, the new manager already arranged to have this gig filmed by one of the premier Boston journalist/bloggers. We didn't ask him to do that, it was just one of his good ideas, and he already made it happen.  :shock:

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 8,030
    This is so cool, Dave. Wish something like this would have happened for us.
    Thanks, Andy. I always take a wait-and-see attitude with these things, but I have a good feeling here. And if this guy can deliver even a third of what he's talking about, things will get quite interesting for us.
    -- David St. Hubbins.