My new project

Comments

• I just figure every generation needs music to piss off the old people .
    Except our music won't do that. It should be a quite familiar "OH YEAH!" to the under 75 crowd.  :LOL:

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13834.msg245447#msg245447 date=1392906057]
    We got some nice blog press from Marcus Dowling, a guy who's really been championing the band.

https://medium.com/race-class/6843f94fd4ff
    [/quote]
    Funny that he referred to "my Shirona", as I thought one of your song reminded me of this one !
  • Feints updates

About half way through mixing the final song of the first wave of Feints recordings. It's something like 55 tracks of epic hugeness and has everything but the kitchen sink on it.  :%:  Good thing we saved this one for last, because we have been learning a lot with each song we've mixed.  Should be done in another couple of weeks.  When we finish this song, I will be opening a special bottle of Scotch I've been saving for the occasion. We could have made two human beings in the time it has taken us to finish these first recordings. Hopefully the next round of recordings will be more efficient.

In the mean time, time marches on, and spring is already shaping up to be busy.

We are back into weekly rehearsals working up new material and rehearsing for some upcoming gigs in April (more on that later). 

Offers keep coming in from various places, and we've been asked to perform (in May) on a local TV show called the Steve Katsos TV show :036:  I've honestly never heard of it or him, but from the clips of the of music acts that have played there (http://stevekatsos.com/?page_id=56), having Feints on that show will be like when the Who went on the Smothers Brothers show.  :chuckle:  I don't know what they're thinking.  But they claim to be airing in over 10 million homes (:wank:, if it's even 1/100th of that, it's probably worth doing) and it's right up the road from us so it should be easy enough to do.

We begin shooting preliminary video footage for our next video next week. Hopefully we can get this done in parallel with the other things that are going on.

After the April gigs, when we are all in the groove and well rehearsed, we will go back into the studio and start tracking the next bunch of songs. There's gonna be at least 6 or 7 new ones -- probably more. There is no shortage of new material, and it's all as good or better than what we've done already.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Well, the official announcement has been made, and Feints is going to be part of the 2014 Boston Rock n Roll Rumble.

A little history. The WBCN Rock 'n' Roll Rumble, begun in 1979, is a Greater Boston "battle of the bands" competition co-sponsored by WBCN (digital only, as of 2009) and its local music show Boston Emissions (now airing on WZLX).

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2013/03/04/about-the-rumble/

For details and past winners see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBCN_Rock_&_Roll_Rumble

It is a local honor in Boston to play this thing.

That said, I grew up in Boston, and I was only sort of vaguely aware of this event. Why? 1, Because I never listened to radio once I had a tape deck in my car. 2, the local music scene in Boston from 79 on never recognized the kind of heavy rock and metal I was playing and listening to. You want proof of that, check out the list of bands that have played the rumble. Til Tuesday, Mission of Burma, Bim Skala Bim, the Del Fuegos are pretty much the only ones I've heard of. In fact, to play heavy music in clubs in those days, you had to play southern NH and western MA.

Anyway . . .

We were told a few weeks back that we were IN. We didn't seek this out or expect it (as we have played only two, scantly attended gigs). The DJ who runs the thing, Angelle Wood, is a Feints fan and has been playing us on WZLX since we released Saturday. But we were sworn to secrecy until after the "official announcement" of who's in on her radio show last night.  We also didn't know the names of any of the other bands that were in the event. There are 24 bands in the Rumble, and last night Angelle played a song from each of the bands in the rumble on her radio show (from us, she played Hudson Valley Stomp).

And Amy and I sat and listened to the competition. And what did I hear?  One indy-sounding band after another.  Yeah, there was one stoner rock band doing the Sword-Sabbathy thing, one "rock" band that sounded OK, a guy doing a Tom Waits trip, but mostly indy rock sounding things.  Most of the songs were meh. I only heard one song that really had any hooky catchyness to it.  

We look and sound NOTHING like ANY of these bands.  http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/03/03/boston-rock-listen-24-bands-playing-35th-annual-rock-n-roll-rumble/

For example, I only stayed up for about 3/4 of the show, but by that point, I was the only guy who had taken a guitar solo.  It will be interesting to see if the judges (yes, there are judges) will let a band like us win an event like this (for the reasons heavy bands never won grammys) -- my guess is NO. But as the players say before the Superbowl, we're not going there to lose.  We will give it our all in the hopes that BIG ROCK might still prevail over small rock.  We're gonna hit them with a set of undeniably catchy songs, delivered in a big, stadium-rock way that will hit like a ton of bricks.  If we'll fail, we'll fail spectacularly. But our attitude is go big or go home.

The truth is also that winning this thing won't make you and losing it won't break you, either. It's mostly about local bragging rights. In fact, some folks say (like on American Idol) it's actually better to lose -- we get a bunch of local publicity and reach a lot of people either way. And regardless, we will continue on our path of cranking out new music and videos either way.

And the hilarious, mid-life adventures of Dino Dave continue.  :chuckle:

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Still a nice to have in your back pocket.  Way to go.  As you stated sort of, publicity is nice to have in this case. Thinking the gig will be great.  May see if I can get to it, but that is likely a big if.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    Dave,
         This could be a chance to let the young one's hear real music for the first time. There are 14 year old music starved lost souls out there who's parents might be as young as 31 / 32 / 33 years of age. A parent in these age brackets would have hit their
    magical 14 year old age of music listening between '94 and '97. What could they possibly hand down to their offspring?  Metallica's "Load" and "Reload"?  Guns N' Roses had already come out of their shell and gone back in. Unless they were very wise parents who knew where to find the few great bands of their time their children are working with nothing to guide them.
  • Yep. Me and Jack Black. Teaching the children how to ROCK.  :chuckle:
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • It'll probably a lot of fun! We'll look forward to hearing how it goes and hopefully someone will video.  :up:
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,662
    That's cool!

Great that there are judges - I hate all these competitions were the "crowd" (made up of friends and relatives in these cases) are supposed to vote for who they like. It is just a matter of "who can bring most friends". Maybe I am just bitter becuase all Gasoline Stars's friends are broke and usually just half of them can make it the same time :tongue:

Have fun Dave!

What is the price? Some kind of deal? Money? Or is it just the honor? :smile:
  • Actually, there is a small amount of money per gig (enough to cover expenses, but not enough to get excited about). To win, you have to play 3 gigs in three consecutive weeks and win each round.

It doesn't get you any deal. And again, I think it just gives you some local bragging rights (if you want/need them).  It also gives you some local press.

The biggest plus I see in this is that win or lose, we get to play in front more people.  At the moment, we are sort of an unknown studio act. On our own, we'd struggle to fill a room. For this, you get a good night of the week in front of full-house audiences who are there to see multiple bands, and rock out.

We wanted to play a spring gig anyway, and this is a better opportunity than most for people to hear us and get some local press.  Better than trying to fill a room on a tuesday night by ourselves, or having to put together a bill with other bands.  
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Well we finally got the schedule for the first round of the rumble.  We are fortunate enough to be the opening the show on Friday night on 4/11. This is actually ideal for us.  We should have a full room for the event.  We will be able to blast off the evening and set the bar very high so that everyone else that night will be compared to us.

This is the band that has to follow us:

http://pettymorals.bandcamp.com/track/not-going-back

:ha:

On the recording front, we finished mixing the last track.  :woohoo:  It sounds amazing. Now we just need to find a few hours to master it.
    We've also begun shooting footage for the next video.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
    Around here those kind of band wars are basically popularity contests. The bands who win are the ones with the larger following, eventhough promoters will make you believe that it's based on 5-6 different criterias other than just the following (song writing skills, stage presence, etc...). So you can get beat up by a bunch of college students playing bad punk music if they have a larger following, and they usually do cause their friends still go to college and go out on week nights.

Hopefully it's not the case with that Boston rumble, otherwise I hope you have a large following.

Good luck with that! Have fun doing it, that`s what matters the most.  
  • Thanks!  I agree, and as I said, I seriously doubt that they are going to let a band that sounds like us win. We are SO the opposite of every other band in this thing.

Judging aside, my person bias leads me to believe (perhaps incorrectly) that given the choice, people would still rather hear BIG rock served up right by a powerful sounding band and a singer that can sing her ass off on hooky catchy songs, than jangly, sexless, indie rock that delivers none of that, and taps into nothing visceral.  So my guess is that even if the judges don't dig us, the audience will.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13834.msg246398#msg246398 date=1394639329]
    Thanks!  I agree, and as I said, I seriously doubt that they are going to let a band that sounds like us win. We are SO the opposite of every other band in this thing.

Judging aside, my person bias leads me to believe (perhaps incorrectly) that given the choice, people would still rather hear BIG rock served up right by a powerful sounding band and a singer that can sing her ass off on hooky catchy songs, than jangly, sexless, indie rock that delivers none of that, and taps into nothing visceral.  So my guess is that even if the judges don't dig us, the audience will.
    [/quote]

True in many ways, I hear what you're saying. I've done a couple of those band wars myself, and usually the audience that show up are there to cheer for the band they know and don't pay much attention to the other acts though. But I agree that in general, people would rather have big rock like what your doing than indie rock. As long as you gain new fans, you don't have to win for it to be a great experience, like you've already mentionned. It just sucks to get beat by a band who can hardly play their instruments, but who have many friends!!

Also It's always nice to play in front of a jam packed venue, and that's usually the case with those contests. HAve a blast and once again, good luck!
  • With the release of Little America, we have finally finished the last of the first songs we recorded!

I have dragged the two ton block over the finish line,

and it only took . . .

1 year, 9 months, 23 days (or 664 days) since starting this thread.

1 year, 4 months, 6 days (or 491 days) since the initial recording session.
    :oy:

But I am tremendously pleased and proud of this music. :dancin:  If we never did anything more, I would be happy having done this.

But there is more coming. And for me, that's just gravy.

-- David St. Hubbins.