My new project

Comments

• Back to studio work last night doing some preliminary (and very cool) processing on a kick-ass song. More studio work tonight.

Other updates:

I should mention that I used the SA for the gig, and it performed flawlessly, and looked awesome in the photos (hopefully some will be available soon).  For about 2+ weeks before the gig, I played only the SA every day. That meant schlepping it into work every day, and back every night, but it let me get more comfortable on it.  I'd say that I'm now probably about 95% comfortable on it.

Pedal practice:  The other thing I did on the week leading up to the gig was several sessions of "pedal practice" with the full rig. Adding two new digital delay pedals to my board really changed what I do during each song.  I had to actually figure out for each song, exactly when to step on the lead boost, and then when to step on one of the two delay pedals.  I found this much more complicated than expected. I couldn't do it on-the-fly intuitively in rehearsal -- it was causing me to fuck up what I was playing.  :wall:  I had to really work it out and practice it on my own. But once I did, it got easier and felt more routine.

Lap Steel: I picked up a lap steel guitar to use on at least one of the last three tracks.  It's my first experience playing one. Took me an hour to figure out the tuning I wanted to use.  Been practicing what I want to do. Nothing complicated -- just to add some seasoning.

Video: I also got a hold of Adobe Premier Pro (video editing software), and will begin working on the first, easy Feints video soon.  It will include a few bits of live footage from the 12/6 gig mixed in with the other footage we're using for this song.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,640
    I find that live…..playing my pedals is the biggest aggravation for me. It's a huge pain in the ass when you have to worry about hitting the delay….the boost, the wah….phaser, etc …..just for one solo. What has made it a little easier for me is that I can set the level on my effects loop. My delay is the only thing in the loop….but I use it a lot. It is now off the board and sits on top of my amp at shows. With the effects loop send and return levels up….I can now just hit my fx loop switch on my footswitch and it gives me the boost and delay at the same time. That eliminates some of the aggravation and lessens the amount of mistakes I make when hitting switches. If there is a delay part I need without the boost such as a clean intro….I just back off my volume pedal a little. I still am not perfect at playing my pedals live but I am getting better and more efficient at it.
  • Some of the first photos are up on the Feints FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FEINTS/285211658203990
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,662
    Feel ya' about soundmen. Most of the time I wonder if they are mentally handicapped 'cause they usually are both really fucking stupid and rude as hell, at least around here. I've met like 2 or 3 nice ones over my ~30 gigs with Gasoline Stars :chainsaw:
    Other than that I think playing live is the best thing you can do - the load in and setting up can be sort of a hassle and usually you don't get the time to soundcheck properly but it is always such a blast on stage that the other stuff don't matter much to me :metal:

At least you got some killer pics!
    You look like a real rockstar Dave with the glasses and that jacket :metal:

And the SA is just drop dead gorgeous :drool: 
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    We have started gigging with our own crew of FOH engineer and another guy who does stage, and lights - he also books us gigs, and takes care of logistics as well. These two have really made gigging a lot easier than it was before. It costs money but these are people who we knew from before and wanted to grow with the band so we give them a cut out of whatever we make.

We gig once a month, but ideally I'd be game for a couple more each month.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Those are some flashy photos!
    :up:
  • You look like a real rockstar Dave with the glasses and that jacket

Those are some flashy photos!
    Thanks!

Well, everything else visual thus far has been so understated. And honestly, understated isn't my preferred aesthetic, but I'm not doing the marketing.  This was a theater, rather than a club, we were headlining, and I knew we were shooting photography and video, so I wanted to do it up a bit more than just a T-shirt this time. 

I think I'm also of the mind to treat every gig as if it might be my last one, cause it might be.  :chuckle:
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,945
    The dec 6th  piccies are pretty good, nice look and depth to them and a great jacket, shades and cool axe will always score big points in my book  :biggrin2: keeping rocking Brother! 
  • Thanks, Andy!

Well, the holiday break is upon Feints (my production partner is on vacation), but we got a lot of work done in the last two weeks. Amy finished tracking vox on one song, and did half of them on another. We have one song 99.9% ready for mastering, and about half of a video edited for that song. Work resumes after xmas.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Cool pics.
    Looks like a gig you should not miss.
  • Well if you've been following us, you know by now that we released our first video for the song Hudson Valley Stomp.  The song is also on our soundcould page with all the others.

We enjoyed making the video. Amy and I shot the outdoor footage on location last October -- much of it on or iPhones, because my better camera's battery died up there, and I had forgotten to pack the charger and spare battery.  :doh:  But it goes to show, you don't always need the best tools to get good results.  We then cut in the live footage from our 12/6 gig, and some studio footage to round it out.  The editing was done in Premier Pro, which we are all learning to use.

People have been responding well to it, and this is probably the least poppy song people have heard. Video really does seem to make a much bigger impact that just putting a song out. So now that we are hooked up to do video, we are going to be making as many more videos as we can! 

I'm back in the studio tonight mixing one of the two remaining songs from the first session. Got to finish those two up, then start rehearsals again, as it looks like will will have a gig or two in April. 

Lots of new songs in the pipeline to work into the set for live work and for a spring recording session.

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • Rehearsals have resumed, and we are learning new original songs -- the first two of which are songs I wrote.  

As we progressed though finishing this first bunch of songs we recorded, Amy kept saying we need more uptempo, songs and heavier songs to balance out our poppier moments like Saturday and Invalid, and our epic/ballad-like songs like Loaded Dice and the last one you folks haven't heard yet.

So I took it upon myself to write some more uptempo songs, and some heavier songs.  I have done that, and I have also written some more middle-of-the-road rockers as well.  I have been in a very prolific jag as a writer recently.  In fact the next set of songs we record will feature a lot of songs that started with me.

The two songs we just started working on are both infectious as hell. One of them is the hookiest, catchiest, thing I've ever written.  It's so stuck in my head, I hear it at night when I sleep!  :doh:  And it took maybe 10 minutes total to write the tune from riff to chorus.  Maybe Amy's songwriting talent is starting to rub off on me.  This song is MONEY.

The second one is an ass-nasty, raunchy bluesrock riff-fest that sounds like Hendrix meets Sabbath meets Free.  Ballsiest thing in the Feints catalog so far. They are both coming together very quickly, and my band is very pleased with me at the moment.  :chuckle:

We will also be adding a big, emotional, piano-based epic of Amy's that is remarkable.

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • We got some nice blog press from Marcus Dowling, a guy who's really been championing the band.

https://medium.com/race-class/6843f94fd4ff
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13834.msg245447#msg245447 date=1392906057]
    We got some nice blog press from Marcus Dowling, a guy who's really been championing the band.

https://medium.com/race-class/6843f94fd4ff
    [/quote]

Thats a good write up!!
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    An article you'd expect to read in Rolling Stone . :chuckle:

All you need is a few thousand guys writing articles like this you'll be on The Tonight Show in no time . :icon_tongue:

Here we have people creating their own music and this guy wants the world to hear it . That is a valuable commodity indeed . Your lucky to have a guy like this in your corner eventhough you've NEVER met him ! That speaks volumes to me .

He seems to be pretty disgusted with the state of "  pop " music today . He wants to people to wake up ! Go for it Marcus .

I just figure every generation needs music to piss off the old people .

Then again its the HOOKS that infect your brain . Dave says he's hearing them in his sleep !  :LOL: Its some kinda rock n roll mind control . Whatever it is keep it up .