My new project

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,748
    Rock vocals. Whatever the song needs.   I trust you all already know about her range and power, but you're also gonna get to see the depth of what she can really do with vocal arrangements.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Great to hear, that's what I was hoping for.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
    To be clear -- or clearER, in this project, the SONG is KING and we are all letting the songs dictate what we do. If the song calls for something like a Marc Bolan T-Rex vocal delivery rather than a Robert Plant or Steven Tyler delivery, that's what Amy's gonna do. If it calls for a rich, 8 part harmony gospel chorus like you might get on old Elton John albums; or a Phil Spector wall of sound vocal treatment, that's what we're gonna do. The SONG will dictate it. Trust me. Amy's gonna sing her face off, and stagger you. But she also may touch your soul.

Similarly, my role on guitars will be to provide what is appropriate. And as I said, that is more about alchemy than it is about trying to play a bunch of Schenker or Gary Moore style leads (over songs where that style would sound ridiculous).  Put on Sticky Fingers or Zep III or IV and listen to what's going on with the guitars. ALL of the guitars. When it's time to rock out, it rocks hard, but it's not constant, one-mood electric rock ala AC/DC. It's diverse with a lot of different moods -- more like a classic 70s album produced in a modern way.  This is why I'm talking about it in the Non-Dino area of the forum.  If you cannot appreciate albums like Sticky Fingers, Ziggy Stardust, Electric Warrior, the early 70s Elton John albums, then what we're doing won't appeal to you that much.

That said, we all trust that we will have our moments to shine as players and for our individual styles to come through. But we are not concerned about forcing that point to the detriment of the songs.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • LegacyLegacy Posts: 878
    If you need design work/visuals in the future and can't find anyone else to do it give me a bell!

Really looking forward to hearing the songs.
    Thanks, Dan. I think Amy has someone lined up for that, but will keep you in mind if we end up needing help.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Sounds like your gonna get deep into this project . 

How do plan on maintaining your objectivity ? Thats what always fucks me over . After a while of sinking your head deep into stuff like this its hard not to get lost in " the process " and the miasma involved . It doesn't take long before I can't tell good from bad . Everything could always be better somehow .

Will there be any outside influence in the direction or will you guys be totally  " self " producing so to speak ?

Anyway sounds exciting to say the least .
    Well there are several things I can say about that. First, if you have a great song, (or songs), you can tell that they are gonna work, even without ANY production value. You can tell that with just an acoustic guitar and voice, or piano and voice. Any good producer will tell you that when you have that part going for you, you can almost just slap up some room mics, capture it, go from there and get great results.

We have the great songs.

Second, I am not producing this myself alone in a vacuum. I am CO-producing it with a guy who really is a good producer. Unlike me, he really knows what he's doing on a much higher level than I do, and I stand to learn a lot from him. I'm really looking forward to that.  That said, he's never worked on this kind of music before. He's produced mostly electronic dance music. So all the things about producing classic rock, organically -- the approach for micing amps, acoustic guitars, and treating them in production -- he knows  that stuff in theory, but I don't think he's done much of it, and he probably stands to learn some stuff from me. So we are both pretty excited about the production process. We actually have lots of ideas for song treatments for these songs. That is, we have begun envisioning how the songs should end up, and when the time comes to record and produce, we will be working towards those goals.  

Beyond that, the song will tell you what to do. Half the fun will be trying shit. Some it will work. Some of it won't. If we can't tell by ourselves, Amy will be able to provide feedback as well. We also have her manager who comes from and A&R background.

So I don't think objectivity is going to be too much of an issue if we all agree to serve the song.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13834.msg210554#msg210554 date=1338066582]
    Well there are several things I can say about that. First, if you have a great song, (or songs), you can tell that they are gonna work, even without ANY production value. You can tell that with just an acoustic guitar and voice, or piano and voice. Any good producer will tell you that when you have that part going for you, you can almost just slap up some room mics, capture it, go from there and get great results.

We have the great songs.

Second, I am not producing this myself alone in a vacuum. I am CO-producing it with a guy who really is a good producer. Unlike me, he really knows what he's doing on a much higher level than I do, and I stand to learn a lot from him. I'm really looking forward to that.  That said, he's never worked on this kind of music before. He's produced mostly electronic dance music. So all the things about producing classic rock, organically -- the approach for micing amps, acoustic guitars, and treating them in production -- he knows  that stuff in theory, but I don't think he's done much of it, and he probably stands to learn some stuff from me. So we are both pretty excited about the production process. We actually have lots of ideas for song treatments for these songs. That is, we have begun envisioning how the songs should end up, and when the time comes to record and produce, we will be working towards those goals.  

Beyond that, the song will tell you what to do. Half the fun will be trying shit. Some it will work. Some of it won't. If we can't tell by ourselves, Amy will be able to provide feedback as well. We also have her manager who comes from and A&R background.

So I don't think objectivity is going to be too much of an issue if we all agree to serve the song.
    [/quote]

This was a terrifically written post.

Somewhere during the writing process, something inside just feels right. I know myself, not that I think anything I write is great (far from it).

But I really liked it, and so did Jasmine. And I had a very sympatico producer/engineer/rhythm guitarist that knew way more than I did (and do) about making a rekkid. All of that was quite the motivation.

Getting a long distance blessing from Uli didn't hurt  :wink:
    Well, the second guitarist became too unreliable. For better or worse, now it's all me on guitars.

But we rehearsed again, and it was a blast. The energy and excitement are there.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,895
    Hope it all works out for you mate, sounds like you have THE most important ingredient already, you are enjoying playing again, cherish that and the rest of the project will be a blast I am sure.
    [quote author=Vandenberg link=topic=13834.msg211118#msg211118 date=1338931703]
    Hope it all works out for you mate, sounds like you have THE most important ingredient already, you are enjoying playing again, cherish that and the rest of the project will be a blast I am sure.
    [/quote]

+1

He's dead on. Go for it, Dave!
    Well, we have no rehearsal this week because one of the bandmates is on vacation.  So I figured I'll post about some of the things I'm struggling with and provide an update on the band/album artwork.

There are two things I'm struggling with in this project at the moment. One will take care of itself with time. The other, I need to be actively diligent and extremely cognizant of.

One: Shaking off the rust.
    It has been a lonnng time since I've actively played with other musicians on a regular basis. Over the years since I returned to guitar, I have mostly made MY music, MY self, on MY OWN terms.  Now I am part of an ensemble of people who have been far more active musicians on a regular basis.  I'm getting back up to speed, but it is slow. We are only rehearsing once a week currently, and frankly, I'd love for it to be 2-3 times a week. I could use that work with the rhythm section.  Our rehearsals also start after I've been up 14 hours on Monday evenings -- at which time, I'm usually pretty shot. What is getting me through it is the creative buzz of adrenalin of playing. But by the end of the practice, my focus can suffer.  This situation WILL take care of itself eventually. My game is coming back. My calluses will come back. One way or another I will re acclimate my body to wearing a guitar for several hours at a time. What would help me most is adding at least one more practice per week, preferably on a weekend DAY.  We will try to work toward that, but my bandmates schedules make it difficult.

Two: Communicating well with my wife in a band context.
    We all know that a "band relationship" is a classic situation fraught with peril. And it is.  Amy and I perceive almost everything differently when it comes to how to organize a band, how to run a practice, what is important vs. trivial -- and when, and how to personally relate to other bandmates and each other in this situation. And it extends to everything including body language.  :oy:  I have to keep in the forefront of mind that this is potential relationship minefield. It is one of the reasons we have never done this before.  We both need work on this.  I know on my end, I'm going to have to curb some of my natural tendencies. It is NOT easy, but I'm gonna have to do it if this thing is to work. I just hope Amy meets me somewhere near the middle.  

Artwork
    I still believe we will be pressing actual CDs requiring artwork, but I am not certain. The album could end up as downloadable files you can burn to CD (or not) with downloadable artwork you can print (or not).  Regardless, we will need the artwork minimally for the web presence, FB page, EPK, etc. We will also need band photos.

I started thinking in terms of "Album artwork" for this project, what it should be, and what it should feel like.  I kept coming back to the great 70s covers by Hipgnosis (www.hipgnosiscovers.com/). The photography-oriented, often surreal imagery, the quirky humor, and the whole vibe of that era.  Fortunately, we have a very talented photographer and graphic artist as a close friend. Her name is Ruth, and she is the one who took most of the cool-looking photos of me on my FB page.  I started going through her artistic photography, and there were definitely things evocative of that Hipgnosis "vibe." So we have picked a really cool image, and Ruth is going to be creating a logo to go with it, and hopefully we'll unveil it on the FB page before too long.  She is also going to come up from NY to do the band photos some time in July, I think.
    This is all really interesting, Dave. I feel your pain on the "potential relationship minefield" issue. My wife and I used to have some ultimately ugly situations arising from Lyraka in the beginning. But luckily Jasmine and I are from different corners of the arts: she's a writer, while obviously I'm about the music and actual song lyrics.

I'm betting that the setting of boundaries is easier when each member of the relationship is oriented toward a different artistic discipline; in our case we were able to find and mostly maintain an organic balance that keeps the dividing line pliable, while never completely obliterating it.

I can't imagine how delicate it must get when both members are musicians (well, actually more than that if both you and Amy are involved in the production and/or lyrics).

I wish I could write as good as you, Dave, I'd update folks with a similar log of events. But with my boorish style it would end up being a snooze-fest, kind of like my music.
    I can't imagine how delicate it must get when both members are musicians (well, actually more than that if both you and Amy are involved in the production and/or lyrics).
    As for lyrics, Amy writes most of them and is really good at it. We have collaborated and co-written some of them, but my feeling on that is that not only is she way better at lyrics than me, she's the one who has to sing them.  If I have some input she likes, she's free to use it or not. If not, it doesn't bother me at all.

My thing is I'll pick up a guitar and spit out a riff or a progression that sparks both of our interest and becomes the initial basis for a song.
    Then we hammer it out and refine it -- which is Amy's strength. When it becomes odd is when I pick up a guitar later and play it, she'll say something like: "you're playing it wrong. That's a B minor." And I'll say, "really? it wasn't when I wrote the riff." And she'll say: "it HAS to be a B minor." And I'll say, "well it was just a power chord -- neither major nor minor -- when you first heard me play it." And so on. This is because while Amy knows music and theory inside-out, she comes from piano, and really doesn't understand the nature of how and why chord voicings can be very different on guitar depending on how many strings of a chord you choose to voice, and where you voice them on the neck. Piano has nothing like that.  The difference in mindset is sort of analogous to the difference between Sheet Music (which even if it contains guitar chord diagrams, is often NOT how the song was actually played by the guitarist), and TAB, which is supposed to show how the guitarist actually played the part.

Not that it really matters. I now realize the proper response in such cases should probably be: "B minor. Right. How stupid of me."   :LOL:

[quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13834.msg211859#msg211859 date=1339780352]

Not that it really matters. I now realize the proper response in such cases should probably be: "B minor. Right. How stupid of me."   :LOL:

[/quote]

I completely feel you on this. Keeping the peace in general seems to be the highest form of relationship wisdom.