My new project

Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
As I have mentioned here and there, I have started a new project. Over the course of the summer (and probably well into the fall), I am going to be recording and co-producing a rock album. Instead of spreading out the updates and discussion with posts across many areas of forum organization - Guitar, Amps, Songwriting, Recording, I am going to consolidate the discussion here in the Off topic/Non-Dino area.  This music is not going to be pure Dino and certainly not metal.  If I were to characterize the genre, I would say it would be Big 70s or perhaps Pan-70s.  It will, however, ROCK.  The influences run from early 70s Rolling Stones, to Ronson-era Bowie, T-Rex, 70s Elton John, New York Dolls, and Zeppelin (which creeps into everything I do).  This is why I purchased an Ampeg amp recently.

The band is centered around the nucleus of Amy on vocals and keys, her partner in SPF500, Rob Phillips (extremely talented bassist, multi instrumentalist, and a truly AMAZING producer- check out any of the SPF500 releases), and me on most of the guitars.  We have a second guitarist, Evan, who is mostly a songwriter and rhythm player, and a really good drummer who's kit sounds like Bonham's.

Amy is the core songwriter, and she began writing her own songs and collaborating with Evan. The songs coming out were so amazing that I decided I wanted to get involved and add my stuff to the stew.  Then Rob heard them and decided he wanted in, too.  As I started getting into it, my long-dry creative juices started flowing again, and Amy and I came up with a few more songs that are also really strong.  So we have Amy songs, Amy&Evan songs, and Amy&Dave songs just for starters.

We have 11 songs written already, and what I can tell you about them is that across the board, is that the strength of these songs in this project is truly inspiring. Best set of songs I've ever been involved in. When the drummer heard them, he wanted in instantly (too).

We are determined to make an OLD-SCHOOL ROCK ALBUM. 10 songs (only) that you can get your head around as an artistic statement. We may record more than 10 songs, but any overage will be bonus tracks released separately so as to not detract from the impact of the 10 song statement. 

There are uptempo numbers, rockers, stompers, slinky sliders, and emotional ballads. Some songs are guitar driven. Some are bass or piano driven.  It will be sonically broad. It will mix acoustic and electric guitars in the same songs, some will have pianos. I will get to play lead, rhythm, acoustic, slide, maybe even a little banjo for flavor. I'll get to create all kinds of fun sonics. In short, I get to be Jimmy Page on this project: The alchemist.

We have all of the resources in place to engineer/record/produce, and mix the album. We have management waiting to shop it, and local radio ready to play it.

We had our first rehearsal last night. It was the first time all of us were playing in the room together, and it was sounding good pretty quickly!

It should be an exciting time. I'll keep you all posted here as things develop.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890

Oh YEAH! I'll be watching for news.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    I'm looking forward to hearing this.  :clap1:  :clap1:  :clap1:
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    Also looking foreward to the end result. Good luck! Sounds like a fun project.
    Got a  name yet??
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    The name of the project is Feints. Which has two meanings - one is a maneuver made to deceive an opponent. The second is probably more appropriate for us as we are all whisky lovers: "The third fraction (part) of the distilled alcohol from the spirit still which is returned to the sprit still for redistillation."

I didn't pick it, but it's OK with me.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • DynagodDynagod Posts: 971
    REALLY looking forward to this!
      And local if your ever noodling for fresh angles  :sly:
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13834.msg210303#msg210303 date=1337700893]

We are determined to make an OLD-SCHOOL ROCK ALBUM. 10 songs (only) that you can get your head around as an artistic statement.

[/quote]

Cool--I wish more groups had the smarts to follow this approach instead of cramming an 80 minute CD with 40 minutes of 'bonus' (filler) cuts.

Sounds like it's gonna be a cool project, looking forward to hearing this!  :clap:
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,777
    I'll be waiting to hear this too  :up:
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    Sounds cool !
  • M11M11 Posts: 840
    Looking forward to this!

:offtopic: What happened to the Rocktails show?
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    First episode is filmed and in editing, trying to schedule the second episode for July.  The videographer is working for free, so he works at his own pace. Probably won't see any footage till late in the year.
  • Congratulations in advance. I am also looking forward to it like everyone else seems to be.  :up:
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    Sounds like a truly exciting project!

Looking forward to hear it :up:
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Looking forward to this Dave.  Should be good.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• ShoogliePegShoogliePeg Posts: 245
    Good luck Dave sounds like you have got a cunning plan there. i like the sounds of it  :up:

You also seem really excited about it which is great, I've never heard any of your music so I am really looking forward to hearing it

Great stuff please keep us posted
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Sounds good - what kind of vocals from Amy? If it's stuff like those songs she did with Joe, this will turn out great!
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea