James Gang

LegacyLegacy Posts: 878
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
I'm just starting to get into them but what do the folks of DRG think of James Gang?

I for one think Joe Walsh had some of the best marshall tones ever heard in the early 70s. I'd call some of their stuff pretty Dino as well.

This video shows the tone I mean, this is from probably 71' or 72' sounds frikkin huge!!!!

Comments

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,208
    Yes indeed! I love the sound in that video, and I pull it up often. Walsh proved that a Les Paul and a Marshall in a power trio format can sound HUGE!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    Always dug anything Joe Walsh was on.....James Gang,solo....hell even the Eagles took a different turn with him....& I even like their other stuff  :shhh:

Anyhow, in one of the newer Guitar World mags I believe he said he cut Funk #49 with an old Fender Champ..... :hmm:

But James Gang was hard rock/proto metal.....
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    Like the first album a lot. It's the only one I've heard.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
    Legacy,
         I had some great orchestra seats when The James Gang came to St. Louis back in 1972. The song in the vid clip was their big hit at the time, but there are many others that are equally as good. As far as filling the stage with sound, well over half of that was the direct result of Joe Walsh. While both the drummer and bassist were great in their roles, Joe just took over the show. His guitar was his main instrument, but Joe also played piano, organ, and analog synth during the show.
        As for showmanship it was all Joe. He had some great on-liners and shout outs in between tunes and pulled off an equipment switch on a darkened fog covered stage that freaked everyone out. The songs before the switch were "Tend My Garden" and "Take A Look Around". He had a box table rigged up with a Rhodes, Hammond and Synth stacked together. He'd play the keyboards and the guitar parts going back and forth between them. Towards the end of the set fog started swirling over the stage and then the lights came down. Joe started noodling on the keyboards like a spaced out Keith Emerson. Suddenly the lights came up, Joe was on the opposite side of the stage with his Les Paul locked  and loaded and he shouted something like "Bring on the Rock", slammed out a heavy chord on his axe, ran across the stage and slammed his foot into the box table, (we thought still carried the expensive keyboards), causing it the break up and nose dive into the bare floor area in front of our seats causing sparks to fly, little explosions going off and lots more smoke to erupt out of it. Joe then stood at the edge of the stage directly above the destruction and started slamming out the opening to "The Bomber" and things got heavy.
        Also, Joe dressed in Levi's, a black bomber jacket over T shirt and sunglasses for most of the show and traded hits with some folks in the front row. The night was a pure bud buzz and every security guard in the auditorium just held their spot and pretended not to notice. Like I said .... Joe owned the freakin' place.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,895
    Quality band all the way, Joe Walsh is one mighty fine guitar player, get the funk 49 out!
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,208
    Watching Jebbudda play with the Drunken Uncles reminds me a lot of the James Gang!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • LegacyLegacy Posts: 878
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=13795.msg209703#msg209703 date=1336840932]
    Legacy,
         I had some great orchestra seats when The James Gang came to St. Louis back in 1972. The song in the vid clip was their big hit at the time, but there are many others that are equally as good. As far as filling the stage with sound, well over half of that was the direct result of Joe Walsh. While both the drummer and bassist were great in their roles, Joe just took over the show. His guitar was his main instrument, but Joe also played piano, organ, and analog synth during the show.
        As for showmanship it was all Joe. He had some great on-liners and shout outs in between tunes and pulled off an equipment switch on a darkened fog covered stage that freaked everyone out. The songs before the switch were "Tend My Garden" and "Take A Look Around". He had a box table rigged up with a Rhodes, Hammond and Synth stacked together. He'd play the keyboards and the guitar parts going back and forth between them. Towards the end of the set fog started swirling over the stage and then the lights came down. Joe started noodling on the keyboards like a spaced out Keith Emerson. Suddenly the lights came up, Joe was on the opposite side of the stage with his Les Paul locked  and loaded and he shouted something like "Bring on the Rock", slammed out a heavy chord on his axe, ran across the stage and slammed his foot into the box table, (we thought still carried the expensive keyboards), causing it the break up and nose dive into the bare floor area in front of our seats causing sparks to fly, little explosions going off and lots more smoke to erupt out of it. Joe then stood at the edge of the stage directly above the destruction and started slamming out the opening to "The Bomber" and things got heavy.
        Also, Joe dressed in Levi's, a black bomber jacket over T shirt and sunglasses for most of the show and traded hits with some folks in the front row. The night was a pure bud buzz and every security guard in the auditorium just held their spot and pretended not to notice. Like I said .... Joe owned the freakin' place.
    [/quote]

Amazing story!  :cool: I could never see that happening these days, I can only imagine what that was like in person.
    [quote author=Isaac link=topic=13795.msg209702#msg209702 date=1336839502]
    [/quote]

Their second album Rides Again is worth checking out!

Funk #49 all the way!
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,048
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=13795.msg209703#msg209703 date=1336840932]
    Legacy,
    [/quote]

Great story inmyhands!! :up:
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    [quote author=Legacy link=topic=13795.msg209712#msg209712 date=1336850447]
    [quote author=Isaac link=topic=13795.msg209702#msg209702 date=1336839502]
    [/quote]

Their second album Rides Again is worth checking out!

Funk #49 all the way!
    [/quote]

My bad, I misspoke. Rides Again is the one I've heard.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,114
    Joe Walsh is amazing!!
    I have always been a big fan ever since I heard Living For The City at the end of the Warriors.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    Always loved Joe/James Gang.

James Gang Live:

yard birds tune  part 1

part 2
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
          Actually Joe Walsh was not an original member of the James Gang, but, he was the guitarist when they got a recording contract and he ran the show for the first three studio albums, "Yer Album, "James Gang Rides Again" and "Thirds", and the "Live" album that followed in December of 71. He left the band shortly after that to start his solo career. I saw the band in the winter of 71 / 72. Later in 1972 two more James Gang albums were released with a guitarist named Domenic Troiano on guitar. They were "Passin' Thru" and "Straight Shooter". Then, in 1973 Tommy Bolin took over as the guitarist and stayed for two albums entitled "Bang" and "Miami". Tommy left at the end of 1974. The band made one or two more studio albums but I have no clue who was on guitar. It was over before those albums were made. The drummer and bass player just didn't know when to throw in the towel. So, out of eight or nine studio albums Joe was only there for the first three.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,748
    Definitely Dino.  Fun stuff. Just recently played some Funk 49 for a thing I was doing.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    Yeah, I can't understand how they haven't really been mentioned here before. I never also took the time to listen and realise how good Joe Walsh is at guitar, I mean he sounded pretty amazing that early on and I don't think I heard a tone that thick and nasty at that time, and most importantly he's wrote some amazing songs.

Great stuff btw Don.