OK, Who is in?

arbshredderarbshredder Posts: 244
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
http://gc.guitarcenter.com/battleoftheblues/index.cfm

The tunes are challenging.  More Robben Ford than Gary Moore. Gonna give it a shot.  Maybe the SRV one.

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    I have to host the event here in Raleigh....I am curious about how it will go. There are a lot of teenagers
    signing up. Should be interesting.
  • arbshredderarbshredder Posts: 244
    Unless you have an exceptional ear, you're going to have to know how to play over the changes. Metalheads who think the blues = playing pentatonic riffs are going to struggle to sound good.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    GC does this every year, a friend of mine entered a couple years back ('Essie the Blues Lady', she is an older woman who plays BB-King style blues) and she was told by the GC staffer to basically "Play just as fast as you can" because apparently they tend to give the prize to the guy who plays fastest?!?!?

This might just be at the local level, dunno because I haven't really paid attention to the outcome of this contest, only ever aware of it when it rolls around every year(in fact I didn't see her play in the deal because she lives in Arkansas, I've never even been to one of the preliminaries or anything)

Also it seems like maybe this is sort of a "bait and switch" -- an excuse to pull people in and sell stuff, seems that Essie told me that many of the other contestants were youngsters who's parents were springing for new gear (maybe in an effort to sway a judge?)...not that this is unusual or wrong: after all, the purpose of a promotion is to to drum up business.

Still, it would be fun to go sign up and wreck some blues for a whole lot of unsuspecting folks at GC...and there's a bunch of prizes, so what the hell?

i might actually go do this...

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=13735.msg208889#msg208889 date=1335631641]

Also it seems like maybe this is sort of a "bait and switch" -- an excuse to pull people in and sell stuff, seems that Essie told me that many of the other contestants were youngsters who's parents were springing for new gear (maybe in an effort to sway a judge?)...not that this is unusual or wrong: after all, the purpose of a promotion is to to drum up business.

[/quote]

Bait and Switch? That term implies that there is some sort of con or a misrepresentation of goods and services.
    I just love misinformation. GC or Sam Ash for that matter when I worked there have always made
    clear that these contests are a promotion. Of course this is designed to bring people into the store.  :idea: The bottom
    line however is that it is a cool competition that you can win some really great gear worth alot of money. I have never
    seen anyone "buy gear" in order to sway a judge. The judges that do these competitions are independent and not affiliated
    with GC at all.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,600
    Not for Europeans.