short little acoustic piece

DynagodDynagod Posts: 971
edited December 1969 in Songwriting
Single take lead, two stereo tracks, Martin DX1 into Two Sennheiser E609's positioned at the behind the sound hole andone at the base of the fretboard.
Recorded into Sonar X1d Producer with Sonitus Reverb and BBE D82 VST's at the master bus. The prochannel EQ/Tube SAturation and Compression was set with the "Guitar- Sooth and Bright preset".
This copy unfortunately sounds like ass compared to the original, it was lush,spacious and so open sounding, but mastering is sort of lost on me at this phase so i loose alot of sparkle on export. :( boo (plus its been re-encoded at soundcloud!)
so here i am, naked and acoustic.. :P
let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/dynagod/obviosity

Comments

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,579
    Beautiful! :smile:

Love the second phrase, the one that starts with the slide and when you go Yngwie at 0:13.

I'd say you done a great job :up:
  • DynagodDynagod Posts: 971
    Thanks! After ummpteen years this is the first thing I've recorded and been able to post online. Great to have some validation.
    It's quite literally Screamed for that part, I just did what the piece demanded :-P

• I know what you mean about Soundcloud, what mic did you use to record the guitar? It's sounds very natural.
    2 Sennheiser E609's, which are actually close guitar cab mics. 
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,474
    Wow, just hearing this. Beautiful piece, recorded great. NEED MORE. I encourage you to flesh that idea out further. It's worth it.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13725.msg208995#msg208995 date=1335869197]
    Wow, just hearing this. Beautiful piece, recorded great. NEED MORE. I encourage you to flesh that idea out further. It's worth it.
    [/quote]

Thanks A million!  Its only a scratchpad version at this point but i definitely want to Flesh it out now that ive gotten some validation.
    I'm still experiencing a Tremendous learning curve within sonar.
    It would be a tremendous help if someone here could determine the time signature of the piece, then I could feed that into sonar and "work within the lines" so to speak.
    :-D
  • Yes, me too.  I would love to hear more of this.  I loved it.  Very pretty.
    It would be a tremendous help if someone here could determine the time signature of the piece, then I could feed that into sonar and "work within the lines" so to speak.
    Can't you just import an mp3 of it onto a track in your software and figure it out/approximate it with the sonar's metronome? It may not be able to derive it automatically, but you can probably find it manually.
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13725.msg209013#msg209013 date=1335882761]
    Can't you just import an mp3 of it onto a track in your software and figure it out/approximate it with the sonar's metronome? It may not be able to derive it automatically, but you can probably find it manually.
    [/quote]

Sonar has a time signature setting that quantizes everything to that variable, but without detecting that magic number.
    I could enter in a series of time sigs and try to play to them see if it drifts but that's time consuming.
    I'll search the sonar forums and see if there's any such feature that your referring to, as that would make my life a lot easier
    Then all you need is a metronome, the track, and your ears.  Here's one of many online metronomes:
    http://www.webmetronome.com/

Sounds like it's about 57 bpm to me.
  • PowerMetalPowerMetal Posts: 1,790
    I gotta get me a metronome!

Beautiful piece by the way, love the sound... what an intro to a nice Dino ballad, just imagine! Very impressive.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,697
    Very nice melody, and the acoustic sounds great, it's nicely recorded. Congrats!  :up:
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13725.msg209021#msg209021 date=1335890724]
    Then all you need is a metronome, the track, and your ears.  Here's one of many online metronomes:
    http://www.webmetronome.com/

Sounds like it's about 57 bpm to me.
    [/quote]
    Found it! /AudioSnap-2.0, its a utility within the daw.
    I wouldn't have even known to look. Now i just have to figure out how to use it :P
    it stated 63 bpm, good ear Dave ;)
    the problem now is i wasn't playing to click track when i recorded this so its probably not going to be pretty when it stretches and skews my audio file..and a complete loss of sync with the lead track as a result..
    going to need to re-record the whole shebang.
    bigger better faster stronger :P
    You could try to import what you have in as an audio file onto a track, edit the transition, and go from there, but the best result would be to re record it with a click.

And FWIW, 63 sounds too fast to my ears if you check it manually. That is, the software could be wrong. It has no drums or beat to cue off of, so the likelihood of error is higher.
  • Daniel_rsfDaniel_rsf Posts: 84
    WOW that's so beutiful, I was sad when it ended suddenly, had to play again a couple of times!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: