Synister Gates

Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
What do you think?  Avenged Sevenfold isn't my cup of tea, but, on the songs I hear from them on the radio, he has an arsenal of chops. Sounds pretty solid to me....

Comments

• Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    I asked that a couple years ago, and got ripped apart here lol... There is much better, but I like him, I like them actually. Oh well lol
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    Dude can play.
  • StiltzkinStiltzkin Posts: 851
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=13640.msg207598#msg207598 date=1333670379]
    Dude can play.
    [/quote]

He sure can  :woohoo:
    Pretty good at writing harmonies too  :up:

• CaparisonCaparison Posts: 247
    Sorry but I think they suck.
    I watched a video of this guy demonstrating squeals. He hits the natural harmonic on the string with a pic before moving the floyd rose arm. This is a nooby trick and shows he has no idea.
    his harmonies are ok but everyone of you could play them trust me ;)
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    [quote author=Caparison link=topic=13640.msg215309#msg215309 date=1344465225]
    I watched a video of this guy demonstrating squeals. He hits the natural harmonic on the string with a pic before moving the floyd rose arm. This is a nooby trick and shows he has no idea.
    [/quote]

So because he does squeals in a way that's primitive to you, he sucks? Most people do that... And if you're doing something far more complicated to achieve the same sound that's silly.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    Gunner, I happen to agree with you on this.
    I've always thought that Satriani was showboating when he hit a "side of the pick" harmonic and reached over and used his left hand to raise the pitch on the floyd.

Why ? it doesn' t even look that cool imo, it looks spastic.
    And it's not like he hasn' t got the time to use his right (normal) had to use the floyd.
    He does it several times in "Satchs Boogie"

I love Satch. I think "The Extremist" is the best guitar rock instrumental record I own. And I own a lot.
    But I just don't get that floyd move he does. It seems way too complicated to me.

It's not HOW you do it, it' s how you use it, preferrably in a satisfiying musical context. And Ax7s music is not music I gravitate towards, so...
    I don' t even like Syns sound.

But both Syn and Satch are obviously way way more succesful playing their instruments than I am playing mine, so...
    This is obviously just a nobody on the internets opinion.

• I like the band, the songs are cool, the production sounds heavy and big while modern, great arrangments, guitar and vocal orchestrations, and the singer is AWESOME great voice with grit and a good range, he sounds like a mix of Axl and James Hetfield at times. I think these guys are one of the few bands that were able to bring the great elements of traditional rock in the heavy down-tunes context. They look like a rock band should as well.
  • This guys are not my cup of tea, but they can okay for sure.

And I always laugh aloud when I see this video (There´s no solo, so  :offtopic:)
  • [quote author=Butcher's Lust link=topic=13640.msg215408#msg215408 date=1344567362]
    (There´s no solo, so  :offtopic:)

[/quote]

but it's still an awesome song  :clap:
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    Not a huge A7X fan but yea, the guy can obviously play. His tone is pretty hot, he's got shred chops, pretty good feel.

I certainly wouldn't say he sucks. He may not be my cup of tea, but the guy can definitely play well..... 
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Some of his stuff DOES sound cool .

:offtopic:As far as the reverse divebombers go Satch has a few techniques happening . I got to see him demonstrate how he does that kinda thing back in the late 80s . Sometimes he turns the volume completely off before depressing the bar ....then he hits the harmonic ...or  fretted note...while the bar is depressed ....turns the volume up....and lets he bar go up . Turning the volume off helps stop all the noise associated with depressing the strings . Otherwise you can grab harmonics on the G string pretty easily while the bar is depressed .

I fuckin' freaked OUT when I heard Satriani summoning harmonics like that . My friend in NYC got me hooked up with a private "group " lesson before Joe decided to move to San Fran .
  • StiltzkinStiltzkin Posts: 851
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=13640.msg224657#msg224657 date=1357323127]Otherwise you can grab harmonics on the G string pretty easily while the bar is depressed .[/quote]

Dimebag was an expert in that department.
    Pulling harmonics from god knows where  :up:
  • MedicTJMedicTJ Posts: 701
    To me, nobody is ever gonna be better than Jeff Beck at utilizing the trem bar.  I'm not talking just harmonics.  I'm saying just straight up using the trem as a major part of your playing.  I don't use one at all, so maybe I don't have as clear a perspective on it as others....but Beck gets sounds out of a Strat that I never thought possible.

As for Gates......his dad is better than he is.

And if you don't know who his dad is, it's Brian Haner Sr.  Better known as "Guitar Guy" in a couple of ventriloquist Jeff Dunham's sets.

Haner Jr. is good, though......but he ain't dad yet.
  • Haner Sr. is hilarious as well  :ohyeah: