How can one tell if a song is great?

MovingWavesMovingWaves Posts: 558
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
If some other artist can record it it in a completely different style, and it works...

This is  :eek:

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    Thanks for that ! WOW !
    Great.
    The outtro fuzz solo is wonderful.

Well, I have known since around 1975 that that particular song was awesome and great.

But re-arranging songs often gets you into areas where you wouldn´t have guessed it would work, for instance the immensely popular Gary Jules version of Tears For Fears "Mad Mad World".
    Gary Jules:
    Tears For Fears' original:
    Who would have guessed ?

Type O Negatives beautiful doom cover of Seals And Crofts "Summerbreeze" is another example.
    TON:
    S&C:

Yes, who would have guessed ?

To try and answer the question, sometimes a re-arranging works, but I believe it has to be done by artists who has a lot of "soul" themselves to really work.
    Johnny Cash' version of Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode is an example, where I feel that Cash' personal  faith has a great part in making that song so great.
    NIN's hurt is another Cash example.
    You can hear Cash wrestling with his demons on his version, whereas Trent Reznor's original is ubearably emo, played once and then forgotten imo.
    I don´t think any artist worth his or her salt KNOWS beforehand what will work, It is trial and error, even when it´s artists like Cash or Jimi Hendrix.

And remember, different people has different opinions of what "works", what is good.

I have friends who scuff at The The´s versions of Hank Williams songs on the album "Hanky Panky", whereas I feel they are awesome and very faithful renditions:

A matter of taste, I guess.

I my last band I made a couple of doom coverversions of Depeche Modes "A Question Of Time" and BOC´s "This Ain´t The Summer Of Love". They worked great, and we all thought it was cool.
    I just assumed that the others KNEW they were covers, which they didn´t. They thought I had composed both songs. I had re-arranged, but not composed, and when I told them, the bassist refused to play them again, because "we should play originals".
    That was one of the reasons I´m not in THAT band right now.

Depeche Mode is an awesome band to cover, as Cash, Lacuna Coil and Rammstein has proven with their versions of Depeche Mode songs.

Laibach has made a brilliant cover of Queens "One Vision", and totally made that song entirely their own:
    Laibach has specialized in subversive covers, like that. Including the entire "Let It Be" album, The entire "Jesus Christ Superstar" and songs like Europes Final Countdown and the Stones Sympathy For The Devil.
    Not all of them works as great as Queens "One Vision".

I couldn´t answer the question, sorry, sometimes a cover works, sometimes, not so much.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    I always thought this was a great cover, but in a totally different style:

I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Yeah I agree that this was cool.  Never heard of this "psychadelic folk" band. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    It was ok.....kind of started to bore me. The original song was very dynamic, dramatic and
    fairly heavy. So hearing it all folked out was kind of underwhelming. This band should be on
    tour with Blackmore's Night. I imagine hanging out with them would probably be like watching
    grass grow.
  • [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=13562.msg206247#msg206247 date=1331959684]
    It was ok.....kind of started to bore me. The original song was very dynamic, dramatic and
    fairly heavy. So hearing it all folked out was kind of underwhelming. This band should be on
    tour with Blackmore's Night. I imagine hanging out with them would probably be like watching
    grass grow.
    [/quote]
    :chuckle: So you really liked it, huh?
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Yeah, looks like Mark's going to invite them to the next DRG get together.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,643
    Once they discovered each other it was bound to happen. The illegitimate spawn of Grace Slick form a band.

"Oh it was so cool! I opened the front door and on my front porch stood little replica's of most of my past band mates all dressed as little white rabbits."