Terje Rypdal

AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Know about him ?
Norwegian Fusion Guitarist.
I think he´s great.

He´s made very different records through the years, but my fave is the "Chaser" album from 1985, but I haven´t heard everything so I can´t say it´s his very best.

When that album came out I recall a danish critic wrote in a national paper, that Rypdal should decide if he wants to be a Jazz guitarist or Ritchie Blackmore.

But HEY !, That´s why it´s called fusion !

Title track off the Chaser album:
I love the metallic sound he gets on that one (not heavy metal, just metallic).

His "after the rain" album from 1976 is a more somber affair, but I like it a lot too.

Comments

• He's brilliant. I have a couple of his 70's albums (one with Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette) which i love, as well as one from the mid 90s (Skywards) that i quite like as well.
    Just a really great player. I hear quite of bit of his playing in guys like Nels Cline and Bill Frisell, too.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    [quote author=Worldgonestrange link=topic=13514.msg205335#msg205335 date=1331017893]
    He's brilliant. I have a couple of his 70's albums (one with Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette) which i love, as well as one from the mid 90s (Skywards) that i quite like as well.
    Just a really great player. I hear quite of bit of his playing in guys like Nels Cline and Bill Frisell, too.
    [/quote]
    I agree about Frisell and Cline.
    I also feel that Scott Henderson has listened to Terje Rypdals playing.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Shit . Video not " available " in my country . :sad:

Haven't heard of this guy .