Scott Henderson

WorldgonestrangeWorldgonestrange Posts: 497
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Any fans?

One of the hippest guitar players around at the moment, imo. Equally adept at jazz, blues and funk and all with a shoot from the hip street vibe, which i find to be quite appealing. I find, that while i'm a fan of many of the jazz fusion players, the music they produce leaves me feeling a little cold. Not because the playing isn't great, but more, the songs and overall tones are a little wishy washy. A lot of it could almost pass as elevator music. And, i guess this, for me, is the appeal with Scott Henderson. Not afraid to step outside harmonically, or to take it to Mars and back. It's just more 'street' than other players i've heard. There is a grittiness to his playing that a lot of the fusion type players lack.

Scott Henderson Shares Secrets of the Pentatonic Scale

Comments

• Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
    I think he's fantastic.

I only have 2 of his albums, Dog Party and Well to the Bone, but they are great. Dog Party is a much better 'blues' album then most of the albums by pure blues players I have heard.

Saw the pentatonic scale youtube video a little while back, I thought it was really cool.

He makes me want to buy a Suhr, which is bad, as they are $$$.
  • [quote author=Mike Hansen link=topic=13510.msg205235#msg205235 date=1330915481]
    I think he's fantastic.

I only have 2 of his albums, Dog Party and Well to the Bone, but they are great. Dog Party is a much better 'blues' album then most of the albums by pure blues players I have heard.

Saw the pentatonic scale youtube video a little while back, I thought it was really cool.

He makes me want to buy a Suhr, which is bad, as they are $$$.
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Those blues albums from the 90's are just phenomenal.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    I have the Tribal Tech records, three of em IIRC. Great.
    Gary Willis is awesome too.

And I got Scott Henderson Live a couple of years ago, even better imho.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    oh yeah! Great player. Tribal Tech kicks ass. His Dog Party album is a blast. My 2 favorite tracks on that are Hole Digging and Fence Climbing Blues.
    Fence Climbing Blues shows off his blues chops.

Hole Digging
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    He's freaky good :up:.

He often does very imaginative things in standard situations, and I pretty much always like that.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    The blues albums just fuckin' RIP . Holy Crap . He plays with some serious authority and a Ph.d when it comes to melodic invention .

Tribal Tech will be releasing a new album this month...the first in 12 years...and the word is its more Rock than jazz . Some of the Tribal Tech stuff is WAY too angular for me to take . I certinly have never been able to listen to an entire album from start to finish . I saw them live and got my brain scrambled by the end .

Awesome player but listening to him somehow is punishing . I have a love / hate going with Scott Henderson .
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    His gear:  http://www.scotthenderson.net/geartxt.htm
    He seems to be a Suhr guy, Guitar amd amp.

HQ vid of Scott Henderson with his trio a year ago in Tokyo:

I like their playing, and their sound a lot.
    I have the Torn Down House CD . Love the opening track..... but the jazz/white boy R&B meets the blues thing ? I'm not buying it . I prefer the SRV Texas blues direction in Dog Party . No doubt he has an endless amount of licks and ideas but IMHO it feels manufactered . 

Somebody stole my Dog Party CD . I was diggin' it at the time ....mid 90s I believe ....but Scott Henderson does not have any dirt under his fingernails .There is an antiseptic element to his playing that I don't trust when it comes to his blues thing .

I'm interested to hear the new Tribal Tech . :smile: I was looking on Utube for a tune titled NIGHT CLUB which is one of their coolest .( covers only ) Bassist Gary Willis is a monster . He stole the show when I saw them live . The new album is supposed have more of a " rock " edge  . Most of the older Tribal Tech stuff is really out there IMHO . Its polished to a razor sharp jagged edge , complicated often impossible to follow time signatures with dissonant melodies that I find abrasive at times . I guess grooves that remind me of falling down an escalator serve to irritate me . :>:(:
  • [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=13510.msg205424#msg205424 date=1331093411]
    I have the Torn Down House CD . Love the opening track..... but the jazz/white boy R&B meets the blues thing ?I'm not buying it . I prefer the SRV Texas blues direction in Dog Party . No doubt he has an endless amount of licks and ideas but IMHO it feels manufactered .   [/quote]

That's fair enough. We all have our differing tastes and such. I have to admit, i much prefer Scott's take on the blues and RnB than that of someone like SRV, who, while a good player and all, for some reason just puts me to sleep. I think i'm just not much of a fan of those stock 1 4 5 blues progressions without at least a little twist thrown in. While i can appreciate SRV doing stuff like Lenny and Rivera Paradise, his shuffle stuff just drives me bonkers.
    I kind of think part of Scott's appeal, for me at least, is his ability to create something out of the ordinary over what might be a stock progression. I'm cool with the atonal angular lines, i find i'm more at home with that stuff than the regular 1 4 5 stuff. There is of course the odd player (imo) whom just smoke on that stuff. It's just for the most part i choose to pass on that uptempo shuffle sound. It's all been done to death, and no one really offers anything new.

On a kind of unrelated note, i think i possibly feel the same way about Ritchie Kotzen as maybe you do about Scott Henderson. Stunning player and all. There's just something that doesn't quite connect with me.
    I agree with you . I'll take Scott over SRV too .

Scott gets my applause for taking the " stock " progressions and turning them upside down . I love that .

He is just SO polished and perfect . I'm missing the recklessness . Wheres the broken glass in a gravel parking lot full of outlaw bikers ? There is nothing dirty or dangerous. Nothing greasey or crazy .

Scott Henderson is probably a vegatarian and never been in a fist fight . That observation is based only my gut level reaction to his playing . My ear recognizes and digs his creative melodic invention . In that regard he is brilliant. His ability to totally revitalize the tired- done a million times- put me to sleep- generic blues shit gets my attention.

Thats the basis of my love/hate relationship with this guy . Its the exact opposite with Joe Bonnamassa . I love his delivery but kinda know what he is going to play before he plays it . Put Scott Henderson together with Joe Bonnamassa ? Holy Shit . The perfect package ...or maybe Guthrie Govan ?
  • Funny you mention Joe. I've been listening to his playing quite a bit these days, but like yourself, i can usually predict where he's going next. Very good player none the less. Certainly has those Eric Johnson licks down, eh.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,590
    Scott is more DINO than most of rock players around (proof: ). This riff kills.