Roy Buchanan

PowerMetalPowerMetal Posts: 1,790
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
What can i say? Who is this guy, and why have i not heard much about him this day in age, or on this website even? This guy seem's like the pre-curser to the likes of EVH. His picking techniques for that time are amazing. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOIL5OqvYs

Remember at this time he was already well into his career at this point. So those technique's  may have been developed a long time ago!

Comments

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=PowerMetal link=topic=13496.msg205077#msg205077 date=1330776114]
    This guy seem's like the pre-curser to the likes of EVH. His picking techniques for that time are amazing. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOIL5OqvYs
    [/quote]
    I'm one of the resident Buchanan fans here. I don't quite get your EVH comparison I must say :hmm:
    Roy had balls of steel for sure. Don't think anyone makes a guitar weep quite like him. A pretty unique player.

That being said, Roy really wasn't Dino, so I'm moving this topic.
    Before the inevitable links to some cover version of "Messiah Will Come Again" start popping up :wall: :wall: :wall:
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    I too don´t get the EVH comparison.

Hendrix was a fan, so was Stevie Ray. Sancho and Me too. But EVH ?

He was known for throwing in pick squeals (pick harmonics), but he wasn´t the only one, and the pull offs to open strings is standard Jerry Reed Telecasting C&W fare.

Nothing that´s typical EVH.

But I agree that Roy Buchanan was one of the trail blazers that pushed the envelope of what could be done on a Guitar, in THAT sense he was a kindred spirit of Eddie Van Halen, and Hendrix AND, not least, Rory Gallagher.
    I hear quite a few Buchanisms in the solos of Rory Gallagher.

solo is from around 2.15

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,677
    Count me in as one of the DRG Buchanan fans.  Love his vocals as well.  I recommend all of his albums but am partial to Live in Japan, ST and That's What I am Here For.
  • PowerMetalPowerMetal Posts: 1,790
    The EVH reference was towards the link i posted, mainly the pinch harmonics and squeal's, basically the twangy and trebly tone he had going there reminded me a lot of EVH's tone on live performance's of "eruption".

Haha, sorry he his pretty blue's based, but he can shred like a madman!
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    I like Roy because he bridged the gap between Nashville Technique and Texas Blues. He played a very cool Texas style blues by incorporating the best Nashville Telecaster techniques into the existing, (at the time), Texas Blues guitar work. He retained all the original feel while adding a new menu of playing choices. Bends and slides were retained while sweeps, harmonics and hybrid picking added textures previously unassociated with the format.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=13496.msg205087#msg205087 date=1330786727]
    Count me in as one of the DRG Buchanan fans.  Love his vocals as well.  I recommend all of his albums but am partial to Live in Japan, ST and That's What I am Here For.
    [/quote]

Jay said it for me. The guy was phenomenal.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Awesome clip!
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    The ultimate version of that song is on the album Live Stock. Which may well be the best live blues album ever...
    So fucking intense!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juIupw49qe0
  • TeleMetalTeleMetal Posts: 337
    My primary guitar is a Telecaster because of Roy Buchanan so count me in as a fan here too.
    The one thing I got from Roy was his use of artificial/natural harmonics, circular picking, and volume swells. His tone and his approach to tone was amazing too. The way he would dime out his amps and use the Tele's volume knob as a way to control tone and volume. IMHO his best albums were "Second Album", "When The Guitar Plays The Blues" (check out the opening volume swelling on the title track), and "A Street Called Straight".

Again, he is NOT dino so kinda doesn't fit here on this site, but a great guitar players nevertheless...

-Telemetal
  • Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
    Awesome. I haven't heard much Roy Buchanan, I liked it, a lot.
    Somewhere I read that he was the inspiration behind Jeff Beck's interpretation of Cause We've Ended as Lovers. I actually see more parallels between he and Jeff, than I do with EVH, but, that is just me.
  • TeleMetalTeleMetal Posts: 337
    [quote author=Mike Hansen link=topic=13496.msg205236#msg205236 date=1330915667]
    Awesome. I haven't heard much Roy Buchanan, I liked it, a lot.
    Somewhere I read that he was the inspiration behind Jeff Beck's interpretation of Cause We've Ended as Lovers. I actually see more parallels between he and Jeff, than I do with EVH, but, that is just me.
    [/quote]

Yes, the intro bends and volume swell on "Cause We Ended As Lovers" is totally Buchanan inspired....

-Telemetal
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Roy was a local hero in these parts . His bass player still lives here in Baltimore . There was three tele legends around here : Danny Gatton and Roy are both dead . Tom Principato is still alive and kickin' .

Roy had by far THE most frightening Tele tone ever ....and thats where I have my issue....that chainsaw tone grates my ears sometimes . Roy was hell bent on making his Tele scream bloody fuckin' murder . What Yngwie is to the harmonic minor scale Roy is to the skinned cat Tele . :twisted:

He is a great example of a guy whose personality is reflected in his playing ....drunk and pissed off....Some of his stuff really scares me . His slow blues tunes speak for themselves . Nothing else like it .
  • Sun Red SunSun Red Sun Posts: 476
    Count me in for being another affiliate of Roy's guitar playing on DRG. I always loved Gary Moore's takes on "The Messiah Will Come Again" and honestly speaking as late as after Gary's death I took the link and started exploring Roy's work. Some of it is simply mindblowing. "Sweet Dreams - The Ultimate Collection" spanned on 2 CDs in 1992 is a gem that will blow off the boots anybody who says that he heard it all on guitar, but never came far enough to hear Roy. I second almost every reflection of Jebbudda's... Scary stuff, on the edge of serious emotional violence, incredibly intense. When I finally dug deep enough to see his Austin 1976 TV appearance, I was squashed, watched it three times in a row, one after another. Last time I had this when I first saw Deep Purple 1970 live footages. If you look for some drilling excitement in exploring guitar again - and you don't know the guy, get your hands on his stuff. I'm sure you won't regret. 
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    first time I ever heard about Roy was way back in 1971 when the PBS channel showed a documentary on him called Greatest Unknown Guitarist in the World

part 1

• PowerMetalPowerMetal Posts: 1,790
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=13496.msg205118#msg205118 date=1330809056]
    The ultimate version of that song is on the album Live Stock. Which may well be the best live blues album ever...
    So fucking intense!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juIupw49qe0
    [/quote]

+1 for that link Sancho! Wow...