Vika Yermolyeva goes wild - impressive metal covers by a classical pianist

Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,771
Check this out:
http://www.vkgoeswild.com/
There's a shitload of songs on her YouTube channel:

For a piano ignoramus like me, her arrangements of classic metal tunes are mindblowing IMO.  Weird, lovely and total badass.

War Pigs:

Master of Puppets :

South of Heaven:

Stairway to Heaven:

Post edited by Seven Moons on

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    Master Of Puppets actually works great as a piano piece in this arrangement imo.

Reigning Blood reminded me of a primitive Skriabin or Rachmaninoff piece. 
    Cool.

• Reminds me of what Amy and I used to do when we had our Red Hot Mama all-girl rock vaudville show. We did a lot of metal on piano.  Coincidentally, we did Chop Suey, and a girl performed it as a possessed nun. And we did the song Black Sabbath as a light saber battle between Skywalker and Vader (what is this that stands before me? Figure in black that points at me). It was awesome.  This girl is good, but our pianist was way better.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • I'm not sure if it's funny to say, but I absolutley love the piano, but I often detest other keyboard playing. (Rush, etc)  I don't know what the disconnect is, but it probably has something to do with the "tone" if I'm using that word properly here.

(And sorry, I'm not picking on Rush specifically, I was just trying to describe my point.)

On the War Pigs clip, I love the way the intro sounds on those really deep, low keys.  If you played that on "keyboards" I'd probably throw up. 

I love classical piano, Southern Blues piano (think Black Crowes), and generally am just a fan of the piano.  (Aside from the sort of piano you get when you think of  things like Billy Joel, James Taylor and lots of drunk people screaming the lyrics to Build Me Up Buttercup, or Sweet Caroline.  This is the sort of thing that makes me want to start murdering people and stacking bodies in the trunk of my car. (No offense to anyone who digs that stuff.)

I let the War Pigs play while I was typing this.  I liked it more and more. It grabbed my attention again at around 5:50.  Love those rich, deep keys.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,771
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=13461.msg204527#msg204527 date=1330087224]
    Master Of Puppets actually works great as a piano piece in this arrangement imo.

Reigning Blood reminded me of a primitive Skriabin or Rachmaninoff piece. 
    Cool.
    [/quote]
    I agree on both points: from what I've heard MoP might be her best cover, and the Slayer stuff sounds indeed a lot like 20th century piano music (Satie, Scriabin, Rach, etc. ), maybe because there's more chromaticism in the riffs, I don't know.

[quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=13461.msg204528#msg204528 date=1330087309]
    Reminds me of what Amy and I used to do when we had our Red Hot Mama all-girl rock vaudville show. We did a lot of metal on piano.  Coincidentally, we did Chop Suey, and a girl performed it as a possessed nun. And we did the song Black Sabbath as a light saber battle between Skywalker and Vader (what is this that stands before me? Figure in black that points at me). It was awesome.
    [/quote]
    :chuckle:  I guess it was a lot of fun too...
  • Fun, and audiences loved it, but the turnover among the girls was high, and the whole thing bled money. But from a creative standpoint, it was really enjoyable.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    She's fuckin' brilliant.
  • I'm gobsmacked, she's absolutely fabulous!

I hope 7M doesn't mind but I want to add three links here. You really WANT to see this although you don't know it yet so I tell you!

Echoes (ON GRAND PIANO!)

you got to be insane to play it at one run in one take, complete with 'tings' for the intro and outo - NUKE!

Whole Lotta Love

you think you know it all so wait until the end

More Than A Feeling

after you listen - makes you wonder how insanely genuine this track is

Enjoy! Seven Moons - thanks a lot for dropping the excitement bomb on mee head!  :notworthy:

And THIS!!!! HOLY (***) DIVER!!!

My, oh my, it's not easy to be a piano freak Dino!  :clap1: :woohoo:

One more addition before she make's me nuts... One of my favourite Queen songs, totally unknown to people, but on their own terms a true epic. Vica made it beatifully even more fabulous with two hands... Incredible.

Was It All Worth It

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,771
    [quote author=Sun Red Sun link=topic=13461.msg204597#msg204597 date=1330172045]

Enjoy! Seven Moons - thanks a lot for dropping the excitement bomb on mee head!  :notworthy:
    [/quote]

You are welcome, bro   :grouphug: