Selling tips

arbshredderarbshredder Posts: 244
So, I have been going through the inventory and there is a lot of shit I don't use.  I didn't even realize how much old crap I had living in my basement.  I am going to sell my Marshall JTM 60, all of my rackmount shit, old synths, old pedals etc and hopefully have enough to get a top notch amp.

So, for those who have experience selling gear - ebay or craigslist (luckily I am in the NYC area so there are a lot of buyers out there)

Any tips / good lessons learned from selling gear before I get too involved?

Comments

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    All I'd suggest is look around on ebay and on forums and see what comparable gear is selling for and base your price accordingly. I've had lots of luck selling locally and on forums, and because I buy used, I usually always break even or sell above the price I paid. Patience will help you get a better price too. If you're willing to wait it out to find the right buyer, instead of having a firesale for extra gear money, you'll end up getting a better price.

I thought cash was king, but just the other day I sold my Edwards LP for $50 less that what I was willing to part with it for because I just liked the buyer better. He's a gigging local musician, and we have some common ground musically in the prog metal fields. I expressed some interest in his music and he brought me his latest CD to check out, without expecting payment. I guess sometimes a "Bro" deal just feels better than selling to hack blues player (who I could have gotten my asking price from).
  • Isaac makes some good points. Always check to see what similar items are going for. That will give you a baseline to price your item.

I would add -- be honest. And by mentioning this, I am not implying that you would be dishonest in what you may sell.

Take good, clear photos. Provide details and facts that most potential buyers may have questions about -- Example: Was the effect pedal Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan.

Clearly state what your terms of sale are. Can it be returned? Will you pay shipping or will the winning bidder do that?

Good luck!
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    I think it's harder these days to sell high end gear. I got a CAA PT-50 amp for sale since October and it doesn't go no matter what (it's now 40% off new price and the condition is very good). May be it's competition from lunchboxes amp ?
    I try to avoid eBay, I use music gear forums.
    [quote author=yngwie666 link=topic=13444.msg204232#msg204232 date=1329738912]

I try to avoid eBay, I use music gear forums.
    [/quote]

I've never sold on ebay. Always local deals or forums.
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    I've sold mostly on ebay and still feel it's the best place to get top dollar for your gear. Craigslist is better for getting your cash quicker, but there are a lot of flakes out there, and I prefer ebay because I feel that I'm better protected as a buyer & seller. Although using a combination of both might not be a bad idea.

I'm in the same boat, I've got too much stuff laying around right now that I'm not using anymore that I could liquidate into more gear that I'm Gasing for :LOL: 
    [quote author=whoopass1 link=topic=13444.msg204273#msg204273 date=1329760535]
    I've sold mostly on ebay and still feel it's the best place to get top dollar for your gear. Craigslist is better for getting your cash quicker, but there are a lot of flakes out there, and I prefer ebay because I feel that I'm better protected as a buyer & seller.
    [/quote]

Canada has Kijiji, which is pretty much Craigslist, but little to no flakes. Very user friendly site too. It's used more than Craigslist here in the great white north. I always feel better doing local deals. You can count the cash in hand, and don't have to deal with shipping which is a total pain. Meeting new local musicians is alwasy a plus too.
  • Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
    I have used Kijiji with good success. I don't know if it is available in the States.

Ask a little more than you are willing to take, so that you end up negotiating to what you wanted in the first place.

Specify no trades, etc, although people will still ask.

Don't meet buyers in dark alleys...... :tongue: (kidding)
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Above all : good luck!
    I've had some gear for sale for ages now. Excellent condition, priced at about 60% of its new value. Nothing. Not even tire kickers... :wall:
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    [quote author=arbshredder link=topic=13444.msg204168#msg204168 date=1329669409]
    So, I have been going through the inventory and there is a lot of shit I don't use.  I didn't even realize how much old crap I had living in my basement.  I am going to sell my Marshall JTM 60, all of my rackmount shit, old synths, old pedals etc and hopefully have enough to get a top notch amp.

So, for those who have experience selling gear - ebay or craigslist (luckily I am in the NYC area so there are a lot of buyers out there)

Any tips / good lessons learned from selling gear before I get too involved?
    [/quote]

For eBay:

Filter who can and can't see your auction, don't waste your time.... Most important.

If you allow buyers to make offers, be prepared to get low balled by several douchebags, eventually someone serious will make the offer you like.

Always have a Buy It Now option, and make it at least $200 more than you're looking for.

WATCHERS ARE FRUSTRATING!!!!

Post good pics.

Account for shipping in the price you want, and just list it as Free Shipping... I've shipped from NJ to CA for $32. Also account for seller fees.

Be very precise with your description... If there is a TINY, TEENIE, WEENIE little scratch on the inside of the amp or guitar controls cavity, mention it, and don't claim it's mint.

Don't ever offer refunds, if you're description is accurate to a T, tough shit on the buyer... Just for personal piece of mind, do you really wanna sit there for 3 or 4 days worrying that the buyer won't like the guitar or amp? They can resell it also, without anyone knowing they were the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owner. Again, if your description is accurate, then it's on them... I've never sold a piece of gear that wasn't described with 100% accuracy, so I've never had a problem.

Don't waste your money of bold letters, and all that nonsense, I never noticed a difference between how fast an item sold with or without the bells and whistles.

Unless you need cash quick, let it sell, and don't feel pressured into lowering the price because 20 people are watching but no one is buying.

It sucks, but only accept Paypal... They will get a cut, but you'll get your money.

Dealers will ALWAYS low ball you. They are sneaky little bastards. :LOL:

For Craigs List:

Get a bullet proof vest, and a German Sheppard