What are you watching? Movies, shows, documentaries, etc

Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,199
edited December 1969 in Dino's Bar and Grill
Thought I would add this thread because we didn't really have one discussing current movies,
shows, etc on a regular basis. Thought it would be a good way to recommend good movies or shows
that we some of us might not have otherwise watched.

In the last couple days I watched:

'Moneyball'- Great movie about Billy Beane and the 2002 Oakland A's. How they had
success on about a third of payroll that the big winning teams had. I am a big Oakland
A's fan, so I enjoyed it. I had tuned out of baseball for the most part around this time
so I did learn a couple things. Brad Pitt is really good in this movie

'Devil's Double'-Another great movie about the true life story of Latif Yahia and how he was
forced to be Sadaam Hussein's violent playboy son Uday Hussein's double during the first Iraq war.
Dominic Cooper plays both roles and is awesome in this movie. Highly reccomended.

John Carpenter's 'The Thing'-Probably my favorite horror movie of all time. Kurt Russell's character
R.J. MaCready is one of my favorite movie characters. I have probably watched this movie at least
50 times. Never gets old.

'Escape From New York'-Another great Carpenter movie with another great Kurt Russell character in
Snake Pliskin.

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,542
    I don't do a ton of movies any more even though I have over 1000 DVDs.  Mostly watch short 30 minute TV shows as that is all that can hold my attention. I DVR about 15 shows or so a week.  Oh and I watch pro wraslin and ESPN the most.  I usually have these on in the background when I surf the internet.  Tonight watching on the DVR:

Last 2 episodes of 30 rock and Rob.  I have also been watching this new bizarre HBO series Angry Boys.  Got 4 more episodes to watch on the DVR if I can squeeze in tonight.

At some point I will watch all of the DVR'd episodes of Metal Evolution, last season of That Metal Show and R & R Fantasy Camp.
  • White Collar, and some Scrubs re-runs.
  • NobbyNobby Posts: 2,255
    We have all of the Scrubs seasons for free on VOD here, so I've been watching ALOT of that lately. I love that show.

Also going through my second run of the first season of Game Of Thrones, fantastic show.

Last movie I saw was Sucker Punch this weekend with my friends. Visually slamming but kind flat and farty overall. I can tell Snyder meant well though.

I highly recommend Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows, which is the last film I saw in the theaters. It's alot of fun, and I personally feel it's better than the first one (which I liked alot too).
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,583
    I have a few TV shows that I watch pretty religiously:

House MD - It was awesome up to season 5, but then lost its edge. Hugh Laurie is still great, but the writing has gotten sloppy.
    Criminal Minds - Although it sticks close to the serial killer of the week framework, the stories are engaging every week
    Pawn Stars - They always get some of the strangest stuff show up in their store.
    American Restoration - These guys are awesome. My sister was just in Vegas and she met them. She said they were very nice people to boot.
    IRT Deadliest Roads - I get vertigo just watching. As far as driving on some the roads they take, screw that!

As far as movies go:

Warrior - Cool boxing movie. More like Million Dollar Baby than Rocky
    Haywire - So so movie, but Gina Carano kicks ass big time. No stunt doubles or wire work.
    Captain America - One of the better Marvel movies. Of all the ones recently, I would put it at number 2, right after the first Ironman. Looking forward to the Avengers movie.
    Taken - One of my guilty pleasures that I watched again this weekend. Liam Neeson kicks ass.

P.S. This could be interesting:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/01/27/arts-monty-python-members-reunite.html
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    Just watched dollhouse and the current episodes of community. I'm awaiting the new episodes of little mosque on the prairie and community. I think I'm gonna start firefly as well.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,199
    [quote author=Nobby link=topic=13349.msg202512#msg202512 date=1327877977]
    We have all of the Scrubs seasons for free on VOD here, so I've been watching ALOT of that lately. I love that show.

Also going through my second run of the first season of Game Of Thrones, fantastic show.

Last movie I saw was Sucker Punch this weekend with my friends. Visually slamming but kind flat and farty overall. I can tell Snyder meant well though.

I highly recommend Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows, which is the last film I saw in the theaters. It's alot of fun, and I personally feel it's better than the first one (which I liked alot too).

[/quote]

I have been wanting to watch 'Game Of Thrones' and have been waiting for season 1 to come out on DVD. I am a big
    Sean Bean fan. Very underrated actor. There is a pretty funny montage on youtube of all his death scenes. I don't think
    anyone in cinema has died more times than he has.....and most of his deaths in film are very violent. But anyway this
    series looks awesome.

I felt the same way about 'Sucker Punch'....visually a cool movies but I found the premise to be somewhat stupid.

'Sherlock Holmes:Game Of Shadows' was also the last movie I saw in the theater and I thought it was excellent.
  • LegacyLegacy Posts: 878
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=13349.msg202542#msg202542 date=1327903813]
    [quote author=Nobby link=topic=13349.msg202512#msg202512 date=1327877977]

[/quote]

I have been wanting to watch 'Game Of Thrones' and have been waiting for season 1 to come out on DVD. I am a big
    Sean Bean fan. Very underrated actor. There is a pretty funny montage on youtube of all his death scenes. I don't think
    anyone is cinema has died more times than he has.....and most of his deaths in film are very violent. But anyway this
    series looks awesome.

I felt the sam way about 'Sucker Punch'....visually a cool movies but I found the premise to be somewhat stupid.

'Sherlock Holmes:Game Of Shadows' was also the last movie I saw in the theater and I thought it was excellent.
    [/quote]

I love Game Of Thrones too, I think Seen Been has had 21 deaths or something?!? He's like a walking spoiler!

As well as waiting for Season 2 of Game Of Thrones i'm also looking forward to the next Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood.

• VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,406
    Watched Game of Thrones for the third time, finished the first book, now on the second.

Just watched Paradise Lost 2. Great documentary. Recording Paradise Lost 3 tomorrow.

Watched 1/2 of Black Swan tonight. Very disturbing!

I've been catching up on movies that HBO is showing. Hall Pass was pretty funny.

I think I'm the only person on the planet without Netflx :)

Next will probably be Inglorious Basterds.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    [quote author=Venomboy link=topic=13349.msg202550#msg202550 date=1327910912]
    [/quote]
    I was left underwhelmed in the end. It's a good movie, but not the masterpiece everyone is making it out to be :036:

Next will probably be Inglorious Basterds.
    [/quote]
    My wife can watch this movie on a daily basis.

For all you metalheads : check out Born In The Basement, a documentary about the early years of Overkill. Very cool.

Series : just watched the sixth season of Supernatural. Was afraid they'd jump the shark but it's a damn good season.
    Dr Who is brilliant. Let's just hope they don't pull a Torchwood...
    If you're a bit old fashioned like me, check out Murdoch Mysteries. A Canadian series that's part Sherlock Holmes, part CSI.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    Almost forgot : just finished the remake of Battlestar Galactica.
    I was (and still am) a big fan of the original series. I love the action and the innocent enthusiasm. Not a lot of either in the remake :hmm:
    Overall, I'd say it was a good series. Could have been a bit less heavy on the politics though.
    The last season and series finale were good though. Except for Starbuck being a deus ex machina. C'mon guys, you really couldn't explain that one a bit better??
  • NobbyNobby Posts: 2,255
    Hell yes, Duojett! I'm a huge Sean Bean fan, he's one of my favourite actors. The guy can play anything, from the vilest to the most honourable, you either hate his guts, pity him or admire him. I think he did an outstanding job with Eddard Stark. Infact, I think he made the character deeper and more interesting than his written counterpart (which is saying alot, because the book was friggin' awesome and superior to the show, as good as it is). I really connected with his character. You should definately catch it when it comes out on DVD, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Has any of you seen the Sharpe stuff Bean did? I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet, I heard it's some real good stuff.
  • [quote author=Nobby link=topic=13349.msg202560#msg202560 date=1327919731]
    Has any of you seen the Sharpe stuff Bean did? I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet, I heard it's some real good stuff.
    [/quote]

Sean Bean is a fantastic actor. Hugely underrated, i feel. The Sharpe series is very very good. Stunning acting and scenery.

Just finished watching 'Immortal Beloved' and now set to watch 'Stephen Fry - Wagner and Me'
  • StiltzkinStiltzkin Posts: 848
    I've been watching the 'Once upon a time in Norway'  :hmm:

It's a very in-depth documentary about the norwegian Black Metal band Mayhem :woohoo:
    You know, the band where the singer shot himself and the guitarplayer took a photo of
    the scene. A picture that ended up at a bootleg cover.  :shock:

Interviews and rare photos from tve early days of the band.
  • There is lots, and lots and lots of On Demand B and C rated horror going on.  All the time.  If it's got zombies, vampires, vampire zombies, killers wielding sharp objects, good men who turn angry and hairy when the moon is full, hot, overly endowed young ladies running from backwoods sex crazed maniacs and occasionally engaging in girl on girl action, or just good old fashion monsters, I am watching it. 

I also watch an awful lot of culinary competition shows.  Lots of cake stuff but I draw the line at the stupid cupcake show.  Cupcakes are for assholes.

There is a fair amount of History Channel and I will. not. miss. Sci Fi's show called Face Off.  :onfire: :icon_syda: :onfire: :icon_syda:

I also wach all the stuff that documents crime.  I like forensic shows and so forth.

Family Guy gets honorable mention.
    And I will tell you a secret if you promise not to tell anyone- I will tune in to American Idol based purely on my obsession with Steven Tyler.  When I can't take it anymore I move on but I do check in to get a fix when I can.

[/quote]
    Art, I love you man.  And I know I am in the minority but the only thing I found disturbing during this movie is how disappointing it was.  I loved some of the lighting choices, and other filming decisions and cinematography involved.  Some of the acting was great particularly Barbara Hershey. After that, I was so underwhelmed that I was pissed off for DAYS.  I thought it sucked ass.  :snoozin: :snoozin: :snoozin: Really?  ANOTHER movie about somebody with multiple personality issue?  Oh, were we not supposed to guess that until the end?  Really?

• VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,406
    I'm 1/2 way thru Black Swan and I'm feeling like I know what's going to happen. The shooting style and art direction is very good. That alone makes it disturbing. The fingernail scene was pretty nasty. But even 1/2 way through I find it pretty predictable.

I also just finished the Power Metal episode on VH1. Wow. I want to laugh and cry. The marching band playing The Final Countdown was hilarious. I love how Yngwie didn't want to show up.