Jimmy Bryant

jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
Man I do love some good old redneck honky tonk swingin' stomp .  :razz:

Jimmy Bryant was one of the first shredders . People thought that his recordings were sped up . Nobody could play that fast . I tried to get my hands on everything he ever recorded ....and he was very prolific . Besides being a speed demon he also developed some really cool licks and practically invented the country blues swing style .

One of my favorite recordings is STRATOSPHERE BOOGIE . Its played on a double neck with the 12 string tuned to 3rds and he plays the solo on the 6 string .

Jimmy Bryant has been a great discovery for me . I've been able to steal so much stuff that has helped my guitar playin' and opened the door for all kinds of cool and tasteful musical ideas .

Heres Statosphere Boogie

Comments

• These cats are killer.

I discovered Jimmy Bryant at around the same time as Hank Garland. Both players left an indelible mark on my playing. It's not just the sheer speed that is mind boggling, but also the musicality of the lines being played...and all pre distortion and rack mounted units. There really was no hiding. These guys were as good as it got.

It was discovering the likes of Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West that i later discovered Scotty Anderson, Ray Flacke, Steve Trovato, Brent Mason and Johnny Hiland, and for that i feel forever indebted  :smile:
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Right on !

They don't play " scales " . The feel of the Be Boppy lines make all the difference . It goes way beyond technique IMHO . But theres no doubt it really spices up your rock phrasing .
  • TeleMetalTeleMetal Posts: 337
    I love Jimmy Bryant, Speedy West, and all those guys too. However, I got into them through a different way -- Roy Buchanan....

-Telemetal
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    Stratosphere Boogie was on a flexidisc in GP mag in the 80´s sometime. I still got it somewhere, but nowadays it´s easier to search you tube:

Ever since I heard that I´ve been in awe of Jimmy and Speedy.
  • I love Jimmyu Bryant too and all the related guys.  When I listen to it, I am either smiling or doing this  :eek: .  I don't feel like it has the rock-related ego thing either.  It may have for them, but it reads to me on a recording like they're just doing what they do.  They aren't showing you how big their...um... love is for guitar playing.  It comes across less like being showy, and more like they are just doing their thing for some reason.

Also, often times when I hear Jimmy Bryant I am running a cartoon through my minds eye.  I am usually making up most of what's going on but think really old black and white Mickey Mouse or something like that.

:offtopic:
    *This is also so awesome to me: Check out Cab Calloway helping out with a Betty Boop cartoon.  I love both of them.
  • TeleMetalTeleMetal Posts: 337
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=13260.msg201274#msg201274 date=1326626747]
    Stratosphere Boogie was on a flexidisc in GP mag in the 80´s sometime. I still got it somewhere, but nowadays it´s easier to search you tube:

Ever since I heard that I´ve been in awe of Jimmy and Speedy.
    [/quote]

That was great :up: Thanks for posting :smile:

-Telemetal
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,643
    Jimmy was well ahead of his time. Rockabilly owes a lot of it's origin to the man. His blend of country and rock & roll X speed opened a lot of future players minds to what could be done with the electric guitar.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    WELL ahead of his time . His technique was beyond what anybody was doing . Even by todays standards he is a monster .

That technique coupled with his harmonic invention should have made him a household name .....He was one of the great pioneers of the instrument  . My understanding is that he was a total flaming ASSHOLE and by the end of his life nobody would work with him .

I love the fact that eventhough his music is 60 years old I find it relevant and inspirational ......and most of all BAD ASS authoritative gut bucket guitar . :up: