Greatest non dino chart hit ever?

Comments

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Excellent choice, Moving Waves :up:
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    [quote author=MovingWaves link=topic=13178.msg202749#msg202749 date=1328136497]
    The Air That I Breathe -- The Hollies
    [/quote]

Alternatively Radiohead's Creep - pretty much the same song!
  • I love Blue Bayou by Roy Orbison - don’t know where that place is but I want to go there

10cc had some excellent pop songs - I'm not in Love, Good Morning Judge, Rubber Bullets are my favourites

Oh and I love soul music
    Mustang Sally
    Midnight Hour
    Destination Anywhere
    Soul Man
    Twisting the Night Away
    Otis Reading songs like Sitting in the dock of the bay and these arms of mine
    Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
    Superstition
    I wish
    Streetlife
    Blame it on the boogie
    etc etc

• shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    Another few that always gets my foot tapping & head nodding
    Jessies Girl
    Just What I needed
    My Best Friends Girl
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,895
    Benjamin Orr, with The Cars, that was a class gent, Just what I needed......make me lose my mind    yeah!
  • [quote author=Sancho link=topic=13178.msg202772#msg202772 date=1328163519]
    Excellent choice, Moving Waves :up:
    [/quote]

Even though I've heard a million times, it still makes me stop what I'm doing and pay attention.
  • Can't. Believe. I. Forgot. Mississippi Queen.

Also, I have an affinity for David Bowie's  Fame.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=13178.msg202858#msg202858 date=1328222130]
    Can't. Believe. I. Forgot. Mississippi Queen.

[/quote]

Great songs! But I'm pretty sure Mississippi Queen is Dino...? I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    [quote author=Vandenberg link=topic=13178.msg202826#msg202826 date=1328208279]
    Benjamin Orr, with The Cars, that was a class gent, Just what I needed......make me lose my mind    yeah!
    [/quote]

Drive is one of my favorite Cars tracks and Orr made it classic.

Not a Cars track, but one I always turn up is Green Onions by Booker T. and the MGs.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=13178.msg202860#msg202860 date=1328224360]
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=13178.msg202858#msg202858 date=1328222130]

[/quote]

Great songs! But I'm pretty sure Mississippi Queen is Dino...? I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
    [/quote]
    If Mountain isn't Dino, we need to reassess our definition :wink:
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,677
    Could be considered Dino, but I with "Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider.
  • [quote author=otcconan link=topic=13178.msg202984#msg202984 date=1328380169]
    Could be considered Dino, but I with "Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider.
    [/quote]

The bass player for Red Rider was Jeff Jones...who was replaced in his first band by Geddy Lee.

That band was Rush. And when Rush was a four piece, the other guitarist was Lindy Young. You may not have heard of him, but Geddy married his sister.

Basically, my point is -- Geddy rules.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,677
    There are a lot of other really rad songs I like that really aren't Dino.  Surprise:  they are mostly old-school country and the redneck '70's Austin scene.  Because let's face it:  you can't miss it in Texas.  Now, I don't like the practice of passing off rock pablum as country by sticking a singer with a southern accent on top of it.  That's not the real thing.  That's like taking grunge and trying to pass it off as punk by putting a fake British accent on it (I'm talking to you, Billie Joe Armstrong).  It has to have steel guitars and fiddles in it for me.  And don't go telling me someone like Shania Twain is country, she's pop.  She was married to a man who produced "Hysteria" for god's sake (though to his credit, he did produce "Back in Black" as well, but my point is that's as country as, well nothing).

The other non-Dino stuff I like is stuff like Simon and Garfunkel and lots of '70's pop like Elton John.  Part of that is having issues with my fingernails getting bent back at work for the last 12 months or so and being virtually unable to bend strings because I had to clip them back absurdly short, leading to nearly a year confined to playing piano.
  • This is one of my favourite songs ever:
  • [quote author=Sancho link=topic=13178.msg202885#msg202885 date=1328255517]
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=13178.msg202860#msg202860 date=1328224360]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    If Mountain isn't Dino, we need to reassess our definition :wink:
    [/quote]
    :biggrin2: Got me there!!!!!!!  Good call. I guess I can strike that from my oversized list.