Greatest non dino chart hit ever?

ShoogliePegShoogliePeg Posts: 245
Merry Xmas folks

What's ur favourite non dino chart hit? Do u even ever listen to songs that have been hits? Reckon we've got decades of songs to choose from so there must be something

For me my all time favourite is teenage kicks from the undertones
What's yours?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887

I want to say about a dozen songs by Elvis Presley, but I believe he's close to the dino label, 'specially the stuff with Scotty Moore. Not sure Boston qualifies either, or Chicago (all of the mentioned have had excellent guitar players).

I've got it! "Couldn't Ask for More" Sarah Evans. I just love that song, and the sentiment.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Probably something by ABBA. If we're talking stuff that's really not at all rock n roll, they get my vote. The most perfectly crafted pop music in history?

My all time favourite hit single is Golden Earring's When The Lady Smiles, but that's Dino to the core...
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,773
    Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street".

I love Pink Floyd, and some of their songs have been chart hits, but I don't count them, as I listen to the whole albums.
    For some reason, Vincent's mentioning Baker Street reminded me of this one : Vienna by Ultravox.
    Ever since the first time I heard it as a kid, I've loved Paul McCartney's Mull Of  Kintyre.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887

Stevie Wonder: Ma Cherie Amour

And about a million others by Stevie.
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    This thread has made me think about my years when I first got into music because that was the only time that I really took notice of the charts.
    So heres the soundtrack to the young shaggy.

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    Thats about the most general question questions you could ask short of what is your favorite song of all time.

I don't have a favorite but my favorite stuff outside of the Dino genre would be most of The Beatles catalog.
    And a great deal of that is as revered if not more so than much of the Dino stuff I listen to.

If you are not including The Beatles....some of my favorite non Dino music is going to be Waylon Jennings,
    The Outlaws, Johnny Cash, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, The James Gang(who I think have some very Dino material),
    Nirvana, Creedence, early 70's Rolling Stones, etc. I just can't name a favorite song out of that.
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,114
    Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney 
    Rich Girl - Hall and Oates 
    Duran Duran - Union Of The Snake
    Culture Club - Church Of The Poison Mind
    Adele - Rolling in the Deep
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,208
    I heard it in the car today, first time in a long time:

M-M-M-M-MY SHARONA!!!!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Get it right next time - Gerry Rafferty
    Spiders and snakes - Jim Stafford
    Rolling in the deep - Adele

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    My all-time favourite is Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick by Ian Dury and The Blockheads
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A61i0Xscj-k

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Paul Simon - You can call me Al, may be?
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
    [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=13178.msg200536#msg200536 date=1325672868]
    Paul Simon - You can call me Al, may be?
    [/quote]
    Good call!
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Wave your hands in the air like you don't care!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA&ob=av2e
  • Blondie-Heart of glass
    Pat Benatar-Love is a battlefield (I like Heartbreaker even more, but that one is Dino to the core)
    Divinlys-I touch myself