What´s On Your Night Stand ? (what are you currently reading ?)

1141516171820»

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,799
    John Sanford, James Patterson.

Oh man, Sanford was the man. I started with the first book of the "Eyes..." series and couldn't miss one after. I only stopped reading them this century. Patterson had some cool stuff too, I didn't like the movies as much though.

Me:

Rereading Faulkner's Sound and the Fury. Pretty cool story.

• The Sanford Prey series is still good, though not quite as much fun since he let his main character mature, get married and have a family.

Yeah, the Patterson stuff hasn't translated that well to the movies.  WORSE, is what happened to Gerritsen's series that became the TV show Rizolli and Isles.  That's a "cute little cop show" on TV, but the books are FANTASTIC, and perhaps the best ones of this genre. They are SO much more gripping and chilling than the watered-down TV show.  And it's a shame, because if they had made the TV show the way the books are, it could have been cable series as brilliant as Dexter was. As individual movies, they could have been as good as Silence of the Lambs.

It a shame that most of the time, these guys take great books and turn them into mediocre TV or movies. 
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657

It a shame that most of the time, these guys take great books and turn them into mediocre TV or movies. 
    Yeah, I just found out that someone's doing a TV show of Iain M Banks'  Consider Phlebas.
    How the fuck they intend to make that work is anyone's guess...

• Believe it or not, I hadn't read it yet. I thought it was pretty good -- the depiction of KK's youth and JP's modest beginnings is already worth a read. As for the overall impression, KK sometimes sounds like he's desperately craving for recognition (which clearly has something to do with his wretched childhood), and he can be contradictory or delusional, but he comes across as genuine. 
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,872
    Iain Banks - Espedair Street, I was recommended this, because the, sort of, protagonist, is a musician, and some aspects of the character should have be inspirered by Fish from Marillion.

I have read most of Iain M Banks science fiction, which I love all of, but this is the first non SCI-FI from Banks I have read.
    One third through it´s been mostly enjoyable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espedair_Street
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan: Caught in a Crossfire by Joe Patoski and Bill Crawford. 
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff. Part 3 of a fantasy series, just published. Been waiting a year to find out how things end. 

Sort of Harry Potter-esque but set in a medieval world and it's an assassin's school. Nice.
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,547
    Still reading Lukather's book.. Been brutally jam packed busy lately so, not making much headway lately
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,654
    Working my way through Tolkein's Legendarium (Silmarillion, Books of Lost Tales, etc.), Terry Brook's Shannara series, Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series and Neil Pearts books at the moment. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,799

Believe it or not, I hadn't read it yet. I thought it was pretty good -- the depiction of KK's youth and JP's modest beginnings is already worth a read. As for the overall impression, KK sometimes sounds like he's desperately craving for recognition (which clearly has something to do with his wretched childhood), and he can be contradictory or delusional, but he comes across as genuine. 

Dinosaur David B said:
    The Sanford Prey series is still good, though not quite as much fun since he let his main character mature, get married and have a family.

Yeah, the Patterson stuff hasn't translated that well to the movies.  WORSE, is what happened to Gerritsen's series that became the TV show Rizolli and Isles.  That's a "cute little cop show" on TV, but the books are FANTASTIC, and perhaps the best ones of this genre. They are SO much more gripping and chilling than the watered-down TV show.  And it's a shame, because if they had made the TV show the way the books are, it could have been cable series as brilliant as Dexter was. As individual movies, they could have been as good as Silence of the Lambs.

I liked it too, especially learning of his relationship with Glenn. I guess they were never quite friends, though it seems the rivalry I'd imagined they had over the years wasn't as intense as I'd guessed.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,486
    edited January 20
    NBC just started doing this with Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series. An outstanding BOOK series that they once made into a good (not great) movie, The Bone Collector, starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie.  

This new TV series has promise, though they've already changed several of the books' side-characters from long-time NYC cops into young, good-looking hipsters.  While that won't necessarily ruin the series or the show, I just don't get why the networks feel they have to dumb-down a 14-book series that has already sold a zillion books as-is.  Seems to me that's a pretty good proof-of-concept. People can handle good, gritty stories with realistic characters. Netflix and Amazon Prime are proving that every day.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657

I don't know if any of you guys are fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld, but I've just seen some stills from BBC America's new adaptation of The Watch.
    Doesn't look promising...    :s