Ugly Kid Joe anyone?

CaparisonCaparison Posts: 247
I gave them a listen last night.
They are funny guys with cool songs. (N.I.B. Cover kicks so much ass)
Sometimes I think they did not became huge because they vere too funny.
The metal community seems not to like guys like them :(
I do not expecting someone like them although.

Comments

• I do!  I never got around to exploring a lot of their music, but everything I've heard I've always liked. I think Whitfield Crane's voice is awesome and I dig the rock/metal with a friendly demeanor thing.  I believe it's refreshing when a band doesn't take themselves seriously all the time but still delivers [what I think] is decent music. 

They have worked with some pretty Dino'd out people like Lemmy and Rob Halford and I'd totally get behind acquiring a couple of their records. 

Note:
    Here is the song on which Rob Halford sings backing vocals:

Here is Little Red Man - the song with Lemmy.

There's no mistaking that voice, ha ha! 

Neither of these are really my favorites from Ugly Kid Joe but it's interesting anyway.
    Wikipedia says that Dean Pleasants (Suicidal Tendencies) played on a track and also Stephen Perkins might be a familiar name.
  • M11M11 Posts: 840
    I remember when I was a kid Everything About You was a huge hit but I must confess that that song and Cat's In The Cradle are their only songs (though the latter is a cover) that I can remember.
  • Very, Very good band with killer players....

So Damn Cool, Neighbor, Busy Bee, Everything About You, Cats in the Cradle, Mr. Record Man... A bunch of good tunes.  I got the album, "America's Least Wanted", good shit.

Them and Candle Box are two bands from the "alternative" era that had badass players and good songs...
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I never really classed UKJ as alternative, sure thy came out in that era, but would rather class them as hard rock with tongue planted firmly in cheek.  Lots of interesting funny lyrics and some takes on some classic tunes live from what I recall.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    They were a hard rock band that managed to score a hit when everything came tumbling down around them.
    I don't particularly care for them, but I guess they were OK.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,677
    Other than the 2 hits already mentioned the only other song I heard from them is the cover of NIB from the album of the same name.
  • They were fun, I don't think they had killer players or anything but catchy fun songs and a cool rocking attitude.
  • the new record is done.
  • CaparisonCaparison Posts: 247
    here the new song
    typical sound of the 90's.
    By the way. I think the leadguitar player CRUSHES. He is not a dino but watch his solo of the second song on that video!!!
  • Anyone who pays homage to Sweet Leaf is okay in my book.  :up:  Just love his voice too.

As for the new one- Not sure I'm digging this.  The vocals are not what I want from him.  He is capable of more.  The melody is falling short for me, because there isn't much of one.  The bridge was a little better.  And the guitar solo was pleasing.  And they still have the power of writing lyrics that I like listening to. It was growing on me a little by the end of the song, but I don't think it's their best work.  I really had to hang in there and I'm not used to that with this band. 
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    What Jen said. I enjoyed Menace To Sobriety as a kid and they were a fun band with a ton of attitude. This new one sounds awful.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    They were a cool band.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    They had some good songs....and some songs I did not care for. Never disliked them. Never
    liked them enough to buy an album. The singer did have a good voice, and the guitarist was good.
    I did not like the new song however.....its the type of song that kept me from really giving them
    a chance back in the 90's.
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    Another new song not posted here