Singing While Playing Guitar?

2»

Comments

• StevilStevil Posts: 3,334
    I got thrown into the lead singer slot due to not finding a propper one.
    It was difficult at first and you definately need to get usd to it.
    But I normaly listen very careful to where certain words land in between stops or on certain notes in the guitarpart. That works best for me. From then on it's practice makes perfect!  :cool:
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,588
    A few who pull this off quite well .....

Jimi Hendrix
    Frank Marino, (Mahogany Rush)
    Eric Johnson
    Alvin Lee, (Ten Years After)
    Brian Setzer, (The Stray Cats and Solo)
    Eric Clapton, (Cream, Derek and the Dominos and Solo)
    Ted Nugent, (The Amboy Dukes and Solo)
    Tommy Shaw, (Styx)
    Brad Paisley
    Paul Gilbert
    Robben Ford
    Joe Walsh
    Gary Moore
    Peter Frampton

• IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=11575.msg175916#msg175916 date=1295767296]
    A few who pull this off quite well .....

Jimi Hendrix
    Frank Marino, (Mahogany Rush)
    Eric Johnson
    Alvin Lee, (Ten Years After)
    Brian Setzer, (The Stray Cats and Solo)
    Eric Clapton, (Cream, Derek and the Dominos and Solo)
    Ted Nugent, (The Amboy Dukes and Solo)
    Tommy Shaw, (Styx)
    Brad Paisley
    Paul Gilbert
    Robben Ford
    Joe Walsh
    Gary Moore
    Peter Frampton

[/quote]

John Sykes, Steven Wilson, Mikael Akerfeldt, and sonny landreth com to mind too.
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 853
    Add Dave Meniketti, Pat Travers, Ritchie Kotzen to the list & Geddy Lee although I can't stand his singing.
    [quote author=shaggy link=topic=11575.msg175958#msg175958 date=1295824989]
    Add Dave Meniketti, Pat Travers, Ritchie Kotzen to the list & Geddy Lee although I can't stand his singing.
    [/quote]

Oh yeah to all of those guys, especially Dave and Ritchie. I love geddy's voice.
  • NobbyNobby Posts: 2,255
    Ty Tabor, man. How does he sing the chorus to It's Love while playing that damn riff?
    Zakk Wylde too, stuff like Horse Called War... Damn.

This is one of the things that frustrate me the most. In the recent couple of years I really started liking the idea of being able to sing my own music and do some decent backup singing (Also a big fan of Harmonies, Isaac  :up:), But I haven't paid much attention or worked at it enough, more so on actually improving my singing voice. Some great advice here, thanks folks.
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,402
    man, lately we've been practicing harmonies in the band and it's fucking tough man, you gotta be really concentrated in the note you need to hit, everybody had to be dead on tune, and you still gota PLAY while doing this. Plus my voice gets really tired after a couple hours of "singing", it's tough man, but when you nail it, it feels good, and adds up a lot to the overall sound of the band.
    It is really tough. I've left my old band, and joined up with some new guys, and things seem to be getting better. At least we're getting stuff done now. I'm handling the vocals for now, and it feels good to be in control and have a greater impact on the sound. I'm not the best singer in the world, but I'm decent, and I can sing in tune and play (not 100% on the two together, but I'm getting more comfortable each day). I did manage to nail "Love is on the Way" though.  :biggrin2:
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,969
    Lets not forget Buck Dharma  :wink:
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    [quote author=Stitsel link=topic=11575.msg188093#msg188093 date=1310271072]
    Lets not forget Buck Dharma  :wink:
    [/quote]
    :clap:
  • Daniel_rsfDaniel_rsf Posts: 84
    I can do it if it's not hard stuff, and timing is the same as vocals, but the singing part is terrible, I think... well at least I was the only one on my last band who was willing to do the backing vocals.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,043
    I sing back ups with my rock covers bands and its a constant challenge, especially as my voice isn't that great. Some pracrical things that have helped me;

Kind of obvious but make sure you can hear your voice really well through the monitors. I have one wedge monitor purely for my vocals, generally I can hear our lead singer well enough from the bleed from his monitor as well as the PA direct, so I don't need him commin through mine too.

For some songs I really need to look where my left hand is on the neck whilst singing, so I have my stand slightly lower and my mic pointing upwards by about 45 deg so tha I'm singing directly into the mic whilst looking downwards at my guitar.

For songs that are tough to play and sing at the same time, I've found it helpful not to approach them as 2 separate parts but kind of mentally blend them into one...my brain seems to be able to cope with this better  :%:
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 976
    For me, it's always helped to find where the syllables and the beat line up, then work up both parts at the same time, slowly. There's very little that you can't sing and play at the same time using this method.

Over the years, I've done a lot of "notey" playing while singing, either with cover tunes or original stuff. Still, the toughest song I've ever sang and played is "TNT" by AC/DC - the rhythm guitar and "Oy!".