The Beatles

Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
I've been listening to their catalog all morning, on Strawberry Fields right now.... Simply incredible stuff.

Comments

• pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
    The Beatles were, quite simply, the BEST songwriters in rock and roll. Lennon and McCartney were incredible songwriters individually, but together, they took songwriting to a level where no one else comes close. George Harrison was also a brilliant songwriter, but arguably not at quite the level of John and Paul.

As musicians, technically they weren't virtuosos, maybe except for McCartney, but they got the job done. Their ideas about incorporating a wide variety of musical influences and instruments into their music was vast. Having George Martin there, allowed their inventiveness to run wild and George being able to capture it all on tape with crystal clarity.

While other bands appeal to a specific fan base, Dino music included, the Beatles music has a universal appeal that spans generations and cultures. Their songs are part of our collective consciousness. They are probably the only band who's influence forever changed the world while they were together as a band, and the ripples are still felt to this day. In a hundred years, when music from bands like Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, and maybe even Led Zeppelin have become a vague memory, I suspect that people will still know who the Beatles are and their music. It is timeless.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Gunner, just reading your thread title made me smile warmly.

Nice post Pprovost.

The Beatles.  Something I can speak about with much greater authority then I can about guitars, guitar playing and Dino music. I'm one of those people.

Beatlesgeek.

I've gone to countless conventions.  John has pretty much been my Jesus figure for as long as I can remember.  :biggrin2: (He shares with Uli now. :tongue:)  Once, I even had a horrifically bizarre meltdown/argument over dinner with my ex husband because I made a remark regarding John being my Jesus. (I like my theological heroes to have flaws.) My ex husband had known me for almost ten years prior to this argument and knows how I feel about The Beatles and John Lennon. I have no idea what the strange disconnect was, other then the fact that my ex-husband was socially a few brain cells short, a raving alcoholic, and had the propensity to be a very large asshole.  Nice guy though.  But music is far too important for me to edit myself and I won't do it for anyone.

Anyhoo, The Beatles. 
    There are three songs that I don't like.  (Back in The USSR, Good Day Sunshine, and Penny Lane.  I know that two out of the three of them are songs that most people love but I can't help how I feel. ) After that, I'm one of the most annoying Beatles fans ever.  I like it all- the poppy, dorky stuff that no one likes to admit that they dig, all the way through the rest of it.
    Nice choice, Gunner.  Enjoy.  Play Yer Blues for me if you get a chance.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    [quote author=pprovost link=topic=11013.msg167921#msg167921 date=1283890110]
    The Beatles were, quite simply, the BEST songwriters in rock and roll. Lennon and McCartney were incredible songwriters individually, but together, they took songwriting to a level where no one else comes close. George Harrison was also a brilliant songwriter, but arguably not at quite the level of John and Paul.

As musicians, technically they weren't virtuosos, maybe except for McCartney, but they got the job done. Their ideas about incorporating a wide variety of musical influences and instruments into their music was vast. Having George Martin there, allowed their inventiveness to run wild and George being able to capture it all on tape with crystal clarity.

While other bands appeal to a specific fan base, Dino music included, the Beatles music has a universal appeal that spans generations and cultures. Their songs are part of our collective consciousness. They are probably the only band who's influence forever changed the world while they were together as a band, and the ripples are still felt to this day. In a hundred years, when music from bands like Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, and maybe even Led Zeppelin have become a vague memory, I suspect that people will still know who the Beatles are and their music. It is timeless.
    [/quote]

I was going to add something but I think you covered it beautifully    :up:
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=11013.msg167928#msg167928 date=1283902914]
    I like it all- the poppy, dorky stuff that no one likes to admit that they dig, all the way through the rest of it.
    [/quote]

I'll admit it freely that I love all the Beatles music. To those who think it is poppy, dorky music, I would respond that it is bloody fucking brilliant poppy, dorky music.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Not much I can add here. You folks have it covered.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    [quote author=pprovost link=topic=11013.msg167933#msg167933 date=1283907979]

I'll admit it freely that I love all the Beatles music. To those who think it is poppy, dorky music, I would respond that it is bloody fucking brilliant poppy, dorky music.
    [/quote]

I'd agree with that. I do think that some of the earlier stuff was poppy crap ala Love Me Do, but alot of it was brilliant from a songwriting and melody standpoint. I like the stuff from Rubber Soul onwards, it's just more interesting to me.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    They're also the best example of what having great material to work with adds to a band. A killer song with great lyrics and a strong hook allow the band to play around and have fun with it. It's that "having fun" part that many fans picked up on and wanted to join in with.  "All together now", The Sgt. Pepper's cover, "With a Little Help from my Friends, "We All Live On a Yellow Submarine",  Octopus's Garden", Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Why Don't We do it in the Road". "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together".  These are all "times with friends" tunes. "We're all in this together". "We are Us". This is what the mid to late sixties were all about, and, The Beatles were the model everyone looked to.

When a band starts with an "adequate" piece of material and then has to really apply all of their talents and push their skill levels to build it into something special the sense of "We're having a ball" is often a casualty of the creative process.

The Beatles were free to experiment with alternative instruments, a general silliness on occasion, strange studio effects, etc. without fear of screwing the song up. A lot of their material was so far past excellent it could have been played on a kazoo by a clown on a bicycle and it still would have struck gold.

Great writing is a blessing to any band. Lennon, McCartney and Harrison turning up in one band was an unbeatable twist of fate. No one else stood a chance. The Beatles "Owned It".
  • Growing up in Liverpool in the 60s, The Beatles were simply unavoidable - not that anyone wanted to avoid them. :)

Simply put, they are very much a part of my life, my heart, my soul - whilst being nowhere near my favourite band. :)

BUT: if you are not a Beatles obsessive, stay away from Liverpool City Centre pubs - particularly Mathew Street. It seems so geared towards the tourists. It can be a bit much in all honesty.

Familiarity, whilst not breeding comtempt, can breed a slight annoyance. :)

If I hear another band play the chiming first chord to 'Hard Day's Night' I will become an axe maniac. LOL!
  • [quote author=Snail link=topic=11013.msg168044#msg168044 date=1284018830]
    Growing up in Liverpool in the 60s, The Beatles were simply unavoidable - not that anyone wanted to avoid them. :)

Simply put, they are very much a part of my life, my heart, my soul - whilst being nowhere near my favourite band. :)

BUT: if you are not a Beatles obsessive, stay away from Liverpool City Centre pubs - particularly Mathew Street. It seems so geared towards the tourists. It can be a bit much in all honesty.

If I hear another band play the chiming first chord to 'Hard Day's Night' I will become an axe maniac. LOL!
    [/quote]

Funny post.  You must get a slew of annoying responses when mentioning where you grew up.  Did you have the haircut?
  • I'm gonna have to check these guys out.  Do they have any videos?
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    Ok, I will finally chime in here even though I am going to get killed.

I do not like them or get them.  I always preferred their solo work except John's.  I am an absolute Paul and Wings fanatic.  He is one of my personal heroes.

As for John, without getting too specific, I think I was turned off immediately due to his politics much in the same way I have no time for U2 or Sting.

Sorry but I am just being honest.  Jen you and I have had many discussions about this so I know this is no surprise.

One a final note, I really need Paul to put Wings back together and tour.

• [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=11013.msg168056#msg168056 date=1284034450]
    [quote author=Snail link=topic=11013.msg168044#msg168044 date=1284018830]
    Growing up in Liverpool in the 60s, The Beatles were simply unavoidable - not that anyone wanted to avoid them. :)

[/quote]

Funny post.  You must get a slew of annoying responses when mentioning where you grew up.  Did you have the haircut?
    [/quote]

LOL! Oh no - my mum and dad wouldn't let me have long hair. :D

When abroad, I am terrified to mention where I am from - they think I know them personally. :D
  • [quote author=Breakfastime link=topic=11013.msg168057#msg168057 date=1284035003]
    I'm gonna have to check these guys out.  Do they have any videos?
    [/quote]
    :LOL: :LOL:

[quote author=Jay G link=topic=11013.msg168059#msg168059 date=1284036083]
    Ok, I will finally chime in here even though I am going to get killed.

I do not like them or get them.  I always preferred their solo work except John's.  I am an absolute Paul and Wings fanatic.  He is one of my personal heroes.

As for John, without getting too specific, I think I was turned of immediately due to his politics much in the same way I have no time for U2 or Sting.

Sorry but I am just being honest.  Jen you and I have had many discussions about this so I know this is no surprise.

One a final note, I really need Paul to put Wings back together and tour.

[/quote]
    ......sigh  Jay, Jay, Jay..... The Beatles, specifically John Lennon, AND Jimmy Page??????  That's it. I'm breaking up with you!

Hey! What do you call a dog with wings?............................Linda McCartney!  :evillaugh:[quote author=Snail link=topic=11013.msg168067#msg168067 date=1284040869]

LOL! Oh no - my mum and dad wouldn't let me have long hair. :D

When abroad, I am terrified to mention where I am from - they think I know them personally. :D
    [/quote]
    HA!!!!!
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,221
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=11013.msg168069#msg168069 date=1284041523]
    Hey! What do you call a dog with wings?............................Linda McCartney![/quote]
    At least Linda had a leg up on Heather Mills!

:woohoo:
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • [quote author=Snail link=topic=11013.msg168067#msg168067 date=1284040869]
    [/quote]

Can you get me Paul's autograph?