A Phenominal Guitar Playing Roll Model For Your Daughters

guitarrednfeatheredguitarrednfeathered Posts: 4,180
*Not puttting this in Concert Reviews because I'll frustrate you guys.  I write this from the perspective of a music fan, not of a musician.)

Rodrigo and Gabriela.
I saw them on Monday night outside by the water.  I lucked into some seats that really did make you gasp when you arrived at the row and the event staff pointed toward where you'd be sitting.

Leo Kottkee opened.  Super interesting.  I know you'll laugh at me but I didn't know who he was before Monday. 

Rodrigo and Gabriela were so much fun to watch.  If you aren't sure who they are, take a look here:
www.rodgab.com

They are from Mexico and were in a heavy metal band.  While her award winning and endearing smile was gracing her face, Gabriela told us in her very feminine, sweet voice that's adorned with a heavy accent,  "We wanted to sound like Pantera but we weren't very good!"

Now it's just the two of them.  They are presumably a couple.  They have accoustic guitars (her's has a thicker body than his for a reason) and wah pedals. (4 of them on stage so they can both run, hop, walk, jump, and mosey over to either side of the stage to get to one.)  That's pretty much it for gear other than a couple amplifiers which I did not make a note of, sorry.  Other than that, they have their enormous, warm, engaging personalities and they have their audience. They often ask their audience (and they don't have to beg by any stretch of the imagination) to participate in the playing by clapping along and it really does add to the music that's being made which is a metal influened, flamenco, rock, jazz thing.

Their energy level on stage can't be topped.  You are immediately on their side and immediately charmed.  They aren't playing to you, they are playing with you.  They are both warm and engaging.  They are both good looking. 

She is absolutely amazing.  Her physical beauty is so intertwined with her inner beauty I've almost never seen anything like it.  She's not processed looking.  There's no highlighted hair and agent manufactured look.  There's no current starlet on the scene,  air of showbiz, plucked, dyed, starched, shiny, make-over  finish to her.  She is physically beautiful because she was born like that. And she is physically beautiful because she has an almost blinding light of benevolence, talent, love for life, warmth and joy shining through and around her.

And she SMOKES that dude on her guitar! :onfire: :eek:  If you could only see these performers from the neck up, and saw that there were only two of them on stage..... you'd be so confused.  You'd be just positive that there is at least one persussionist up there.  Nope.  It's Rodrigo and Gabriela using their guitars as perscussion instruments while they play, but uh..... it's mostly her.  That's why her guitar is a little thicker, so she can get all that crazy sound going.  They (but again, it's mostly she) tap, slap, touch, punch, and pat the bodies of their guitars to get a cornupcopia of sound.

They'd rattled off a bunch of their heavy metal influenes toward the beginning of the show and I heard the influence in their playing often but was delighted to hear Rodrigo end the main set before the finale by stealing the final few bars of Four Horsemen and I was also delighted to hear them cover Orion.  Love those two songs and since Monday I've read that they often cover Orion and I believe it's on one of their albums.  It sounded really cool.

So much fun to watch. I had a really good time at this show and if they come your way, they are more than worth setting aside an evening.

Post edited by jebbudda on

Comments

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Cool review gnf.  Thanks.  I have heard a lot about them, guess I should seriously check them out.  I have heard bits and pieces that sounded good.  Guess I will try to get my hands on an album.  Which to do you recommend as a good intro.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    if you are interested in learning more there is a good article/interview with them in July 2010 Premier Guitar.
  • That's cool stuff!
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Maybeyes- The Live in Japan album is the only one I've heard all the way through and it's the one that kept me intrigued enough to fervently desire tickets when I saw that they'd be coming to my area.
  • They're worth buying an album from.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Big Fan here..

Both are great guitar players, but i do have to agree with you in that i think Gabriela absolutely smokes Rodrigo. She is just an absolutely phenomenal talent. Interestingly enough, if you buy the studio albums, you'll find they each come with a bonus dvd containing not only live footage, but also a tuitional section with both Rodrigo and Gabriela, in which they break down the songs on the cd, run through the various techniques used, etc. Truly fascinating stuff!

A couple of clips to check out. The first being the tutorial section on the dvd included with their self titled disc. The second clip is an absolutely blistering performance of "Diablo Rojo".
  • [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=10982.msg167555#msg167555 date=1283383363]
    They're worth buying an album from.
    [/quote]

WOW, Dino elitist!!!!!!!  That's big stuff, coming from you!!!!  :wink:

[quote author=Worldgonestrange link=topic=10982.msg167556#msg167556 date=1283385500]
    Interestingly enough, if you buy the studio albums, you'll find they each come with a bonus dvd containing not only live footage, but also a tuitional section with both Rodrigo and Gabriela, in which they break down the songs on the cd, run through the various techniques used, etc. Truly fascinating stuff!

A couple of clips to check out. The first being the tutorial section on the dvd included with their self titled disc. The second clip is an absolutely blistering performance of "Diablo Rojo".
    [/quote]

Cool!  Thanks Worldgonestrange!
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,221
    Excellent playing, and I love the backing rhythm too.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    The CD doesn't do them justice .

I saw the show in Baltimore too . Way worth the price of admission .  :ohyeah: