Cross Training

guitarrednfeatheredguitarrednfeathered Posts: 4,180
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
Thought perhaps a few of you might be interested in this. Bootsy Collins and Les Claypool teaming up to teach us some stuff.

Les is now "Professor" Les Claypool. Beginning this month, Les is a featured special guest at Bootsy Collins' Funk University, an online program for bass players and music aficionados to learn the history, methodology and practice of funk. Les joins a historic lineup of musicians contributing their knowledge at Funk U, including Ge...orge Clinton, Victor Wooten, Norwood Fisher, Frankie "Kash" Waddy and Meshell Ndegeocello. For more information go to
www.thefunkuniversity.com
See More
Bootsy Collins Funk University - Online Bass Guitar School
www.thefunkuniversity.com
History is being made at Bootsy's Funk University as the most accomplished bassists on planet earth come together to share their knowledge, techniques and approach to funk in an online program designed for bass guitarists and music aficionados around the world. Enroll today and become a funk disci...

Comments

• I think my buddy Freekbass is involved, too. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I've heard a bunch of Les Claypool's playing and I don't get it .

I've heard only one or two Primus songs that I thought were remotely cool . I find his playing juvenile and annoying . The psycho - Hillbilly thing  wears me out quick .

How does he get lumped in with these other folks that can literally play circles around him ?
  • [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=10941.msg166998#msg166998 date=1282694372]
    I've heard a bunch of Les Claypool's playing and I don't get it .

I've heard only one or two Primus songs that I thought were remotely cool . I find his playing juvenile and annoying . The psycho - Hillbilly thing  wears me out quick .

How does he get lumped in with these other folks that can literally play circles around him ?
    [/quote]
    You're killing me, Buddy.  Killing me.  Maybe you haven't heard a good enough sample of his work.  As far as people playing circles around him, he's certainly not cut from the same stylistic thread as say..... a more cerebral and sophisticated Allan Holdsworth, but to discount him completely? 

Perhaps he's not your style.  Obviously, he's not your style. But I don't think lovers of Les Claypool necessarily lump him in with anybody else at all.  I think lovers of Les Claypool know that he stands all by himself and when he walks, he walks to the beat of a different drum bass.

It's just not your cup of tea, Brother.

It's sort of like how my Mother never gets the Modern Art wing of a museum.  She believes it's not really art because it's not a French Impressionist image of a woman by lake wearing a fucking hat.  :wank:  While I like French Impressionism, the Modern Art wing of a museum is never completely lost on me.  I don't think Les Claypool  is for everyone.  I think he's suited for two sorts of people: Either a very specific (strange) type of listener or a very specific type of listener who has an acquired taste for his strange art.  While some the pieces in his body of work sound more legitimately crafted to me than others, I'll never acquiesce and agree that most of it is not worth a listen.  Some of it is downright brilliant. 

Additionally, as a collaborator he is priceless.  I don't think collaborative efforts are necessarily an equally rendered product.  I think if you're collaborating with Les Claypool you've got a really strong partner and can look forward to the tapestry of a piece of music or some other art being a richly constructed, juicy little meal. 

And. excuse for a moment but.............[quote author=jebbudda link=topic=10941.msg166998#msg166998 date=1282694372]
    The psycho - Hillbilly thing  wears me out quick .

[/quote]

JEB?!?!?!?!  Hello?????? Is that you???????????????????? 
  • I never liked Clay Cesspool.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=10941.msg167003#msg167003 date=1282696927]
    I never liked Clay Cesspool.
    [/quote]
    Actually, Les Claypool would probably appreciate that very play on words.

Contrastingly, I have always LOVED him to pieces.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=10941.msg167006#msg167006 date=1282698915]
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=10941.msg167003#msg167003 date=1282696927]
    I never liked Clay Cesspool.
    [/quote]
    Actually, Les Claypool would probably appreciate that very play on words.

Contrastingly, I have always LOVED him to pieces.

[/quote]

What's weird is..I think Les is great, but I am no Primus fan.  I can take one, maybe two songs before it gets old.
    I think he's an amazing player who definitely has found his own unique thang, and I don't mind atonality or humor in music (big Zappa fan I am)but yeah, with Primus I'm good for about five minutes.  He definitely can play--he just chooses to play the weirdest, wrongest shit.

I'd like to hear him in a setting under someone else's direction, because i'm sure that, taken away from his own weird little world, he could play some stuff that would just be killer.
  • I totally understand what you mean BTime. Sometimes the Idea that is Primus is what makes him hard to take.  To hear him in a different application might demonstrate his musicality or his musical ability in a different light.  I too do not mind atonality or humor (I like some Steel Panther also) if it's well placed but I have not ever developed a taste for Zappa for some reason.

Not that it's a removal from his "weird little world" but he's done some things with Buckethead. (Colonal Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains)  Have you tried that one?
  • Additionally, it might be interesting to hear the result of his working with Bootsy Collins!
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Under normal conditions Psycho Hillbillies are usually up my alley but in this case ......No .
  • T-MANT-MAN Posts: 271
    Les Claypool apparently engineered Yngwie's "Rising Force" and "Marching Out" albums. So- if you ever want to know anything about the guitar (or anything else) on those albums,he's the one to ask. 

The Funk University sounds awesome...Norwood Fisher is a killer bassist.   
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    I have always like Primus. They created their own sound and really stood out. The music is not for everyone. Its odd, humorous
    and quirky.....but it is executed well. I thought Claypool's bass playing is as odd as the rest of the music, but they guy is really good.
    I can understand if its not your thing...but I wouldn't discount the guy's skill.
  • ChubtoneChubtone Posts: 3,160
    I won't discount the guys dexterity but will discount his musicality. I can handle three minutes of Primus at the most. Should we really have to work that hard to like someone? :biggrin2:
    [quote author=T-MAN link=topic=10941.msg167090#msg167090 date=1282801312]
    Les Claypool apparently engineered Yngwie's "Rising Force" and "Marching Out" albums. So- if you ever want to know anything about the guitar (or anything else) on those albums,he's the one to ask. 

The Funk University sounds awesome...Norwood Fisher is a killer bassist.    
    [/quote]

Wow...I never put 2 an 2 together on that...I always remember the name Lester Claypool in the credits of both albums....but
    I just didn't realize it was him....interesting.
    [quote author=Chubtone link=topic=10941.msg167092#msg167092 date=1282801622]
    I won't discount the guys dexterity but will discount his musicality. I can handle three minutes of Primus at the most. Should we really have to work that hard to like someone? :biggrin2:
    [/quote]

Well apparently there are allot of people who don't have to work that hard to like him. Primus has a fairly large fan base and has enjoyed
    great success since the early 90's. Not saying that in itself makes him great...but I think originality and creativity sets him apart from others.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I was really into the first couple of Primus albums. Saw them live twice and they were kick ass.
    Lost track of the band afterwards because it all got a bit too weird for my tastes.