Good? Bad? or Who Cares!

pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
On CNN, there has been a lot of chatter about American Idol's future since Simon Cowell left the show. Ellen DeGeneres announced yesterday that she is bowing out after only one season. The latest gossip is that the new judges to take their places are Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler!

I could care less about J. Lo. Never liked her as a singer or as an actress. However, Steven as a judge? Ummm, I don't know. Steven is a legend and knows the ropes like few others, but I just can't see him in that kind of environment. There were rumours around Bret Michaels or Gene Simmons taking it on, and I think either of them would be a better fit for that show than Steven.

Whether you like the show itself and type of music, or not, it's ability to give kids a platform to show their talents (or lack thereof) to millions of people is undeniable. As some contestants have said in recent years, "I don't care if I win or not. It's getting that national exposure for a few weeks that can mean a career as a singer."

Any thoughts? Judge Steven?
Post edited by pprovost on
I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

Comments

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,653
    Then Joe Perry's gonna want a chair too.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    The show is a dying steaming pile of shit and Steven should stay as far aways as possible.  It is responsible for just about everything wrong with music.
  • kneprockkneprock Posts: 649
    I have never watched an episode of American Idol and the presence of Steven Tyler, J Lo, or even Brett  will not get me to start. 
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,621
    As much as I hate pretty much everything about the show and what it creates and do enjoy watching it actually.
    I follow the Swedish edition of it pretty closely, especially early on when it is on weekdays nights and you got to see all these trainwrecks :laugh:

But Tyler in this program?!?! Stay away Steven, it isn't gonna make you any new fans and your true ones are gonna despise you even more... First Armageddon, then the split-up and then American Idol?!?!
    No, just don't...
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 3,088
    I think it'd be kinda cool if Tyler did the show, if only to see a dino on the show, and a judge that actually has a musical pedigree. I don't think Steven Tyler's gonna be putting out any more kickass music anytime soon. Aerosmith was best when they were the only ones writing their songs IMO.
  • StevilStevil Posts: 3,334
    They need to put David Lee Roth there, THEN you'd have a show!  :mrhappy:
  • Please Steven. Stay away..............
    [quote author=Stevil link=topic=10842.msg165735#msg165735 date=1280826520]
    [/quote]

That would be a blast to watch!

He would outdo everyone on every single episode :chuckle:
  • [quote author=Stevil link=topic=10842.msg165735#msg165735 date=1280826520]
    [/quote]
    HEH!!!!  That's perfect!
  • kneprockkneprock Posts: 649
    So I guess that Tyler is going to be the new diva on the show?
    This pretty much confirms that it will happen as far as I am concerned.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/steven-tyler-i-d-be-an-honest-judge-on-idol-1004107223.story

Billboard usually don't just make shit up, right?
  • I can't help it. This really bugs  me.  It says that nothing has been signed yet but it does indeed sound like he's on board.  Really makes me sort of depressed. 
  • Apparently, Joe Perrry is not excited about this either.  I have to say, if this is true and he did indeed find out from reading it on the internet, that's sorta shitty.  From a website called Music Mix:

guitarist Joe Perry has criticized band mate Steven Tyler over the singer’s possible recruitment as an American Idol judge, according to the Boston Herald.
    Perry told the paper that he confronted Tyler last Saturday before Aerosmith’s show at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, having read about the singer’s possible new job on the Internet. But Tyler informed the guitarist that he had been told not to discuss the subject. “I mean, after working with me for 40 years, he couldn’t tell me about this?” the guitarist said. “Why so secretive? We’re told it’s a done deal. If Steven is committed to a TV show, that kind of affects the rest of us. We’d like to plan our lives, ya know?”
    The relationship between Tyler and the rest of Aerosmith has been a strained one of late, and earlier this year there were rumors that the band were looking for a new vocalist. What’s your opinion of this latest kink in the ‘Smith’s saga? And do you think Tyler would made a good Idol judge?

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    After years of drugs, etc then years of putting out crappy sappy music Aerosmith are officially becomming a trainwreck.  With all of the drama over the past year this thing may finally be imploding.  I just hope they wait a couple of weeks so my boy can see them in AC.  After that show they can go away for all I care.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,638
    While I enjoyed Permanent Vacation, and recognized it as attempt by the band to update themselves for a new generation, I always considered Done With Mirrors the last classic Aerosmith album anyway. The music has suffered since then, and as they are all pushing 60 or more, the whole drugs, sex, and rock & roll bad boy image isn't as credible anymore. Maybe it is time for them to call it a day.

You know you're getting old when your drug of choice changes from coke/heroin to arthritis medicine, and you have to start taking drugs so you can have sex.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore