The modern-day Alan Parsons

otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,680
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
You remember Alan Parsons, right?  I'm currently working out "Time" by the Alan Parson's Project on the piano.  But looking at the Dark Side of the Moon credits, and there he be.  Chief Engineer.

So...you have a great engineer (or producer) who has a damn good band in his own right...who's the modern equivalent?

What person who sits behind a console is equally capable behind an instrument?  Or a songwriter?

First one to jump off my tongue would be Harry Vanda and George Young.

The modern version, IMO, is Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree, who produced "Blackwater Park," "Damnation," and "Deliverance" by Opeth.

Comments

• BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    Parsons is credited with most all of the Floyd's sound effects/montages-he recorded and compiled the clocks and alarm bells, animal sounds, plotted the stereo imaging of stuff, probably had a lot to do with Gilmour's tones etc, (seeing as how they are so perfectly recorded)  But he is probably the first to make the leap from 'behind the scenes studio guy' to 'guy clutching a freshly signed recording contract'

There's others like him for sure, the Vanda/Young connection for sure, Steven wilson is another great example...how about...in the catagory of musicians turned producers...

Ted Templeman?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Templeman  Started out playing in bands in the 60's
    or
    Aldo Nova?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldo_Nova  I thought he'd dropped off the face of the earth...but he's been producing records this whole time
    or
    Bob Rock?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rock  need I say more?
    or
    Paul Leary?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Leary  This guy is genius, pure and simple

or the grandaddy of them all, Kim Fowley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Fowley   who had his first hit in the 50's with the very risque "Cherry Pie"

There's a ton of these guys but what happens is they usually become famous for one thing or the other, not both.  But off the top of my head, how about Jack Endino, Bill Stevenson, Mike Chapman & Nicky Chinn (huge string of hits from these songwriter/producers), Dave Edmunds (a shit-hot guitarist when he wants to be, check out "Sabre dance" from 1968..he also is the only guy I can think of to work with Motorhead as well as Paul McCartney!), Smokey Robinson (actually has a hellofa track list as a producer!), Chris Spedding (who has produced or played on more records than nearly anybody), T Bone Burnett, ...man, there's alot of 'em.  Mostly I figure the recording engineers/producers of the early days came from an engineering/technical/electronics background, but in the 60's we started seeing musicians emerge as record producers-your Brian Wilsons, Phil Spectors (probably the first musician/songwriter/record producer to have a huge hit), etc..  Virtually ALL the Link Wray records were recorded in his basement engineered and produced by Link and his brother in the 50's and 60's.  Of course, I guess Les Paul really predates all these guys...since he invented the stuff!  :smile:  it always seems to come back to Les, doesn't it?

Also, you gotta consider the 'art rock' and hip hop movements: groups like Can, Kraftwerk, the Redsidents, and Zappa handled every stage of their work, and there's a zillion new guys doing production thanks to hip hop and rave/techno music, plus the modern rock underground with labels started by bands who then build studios and become record producers.

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    Don't forget that Parson also did Abbey Road.  Not a modern equivelant but another prolific guy from that period of time was Todd Rundgren.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,494
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=10779.msg164869#msg164869 date=1279582440]
    Don't forget that Parson also did Abbey Road.  Not a modern equivelant but another prolific guy from that period of time was Todd Rundgren.
    [/quote]

I thought Geoff Emmrick was the Engineer on 'Abbey Road'?

Todd Rundgren comes to mind. I was never a huge fan of his but the guy was a very talented producer and musician.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,943
    The one that comes to my mind is most certainly Roy Z.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Steve Albini
    Chris Goss
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,682
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=10779.msg164894#msg164894 date=1279597690]
    [quote author=Jay G link=topic=10779.msg164869#msg164869 date=1279582440]
    [/quote]

I thought Geoff Emmrick was the Engineer on 'Abbey Road'?

Todd Rundgren comes to mind. I was never a huge fan of his but the guy was a very talented producer and musician.
    [/quote]

Alan was the producer for Abbey Road as well as Let it Be.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,621
    In the modern pop-music there are many producers that participate in the songwriting and arrangement and as instruments have become replaced by samples they usually put those tracks together as well.
    Many of them are actually Swedish too, people that comes to my mind are RedOne (Lady Gaga), Max Martin (all the boy-bands, Britney Spears), Bloodshy & Avant (Spears, Madonna, Kylie Minogue)

In metal the one that springs to my mind is Sascha Paeth. Have produced all of Edguy's albums since Hellfire Club and apart from Tinnitus Sanctus (which is waaaay overproduced) it been mostly pretty good sounding.
    He is a killer guitarist too and have contributed loads of guitars on the last three Avantasia-albums.
    Also Chris Laney - do most Swedish sleaze records and have a moderately succesful solo carrer.

The giant though must be Mutt Lange!! He was elementary in the success of Hysteria and I think that is a good thing since I like that record a lot.